First Audax - well, nearly (long)

Danny Colyer

Guest
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/cycling/ridereports/cheddar05.html>

I'd fancied trying an audax ever since I first read about them, years
ago, but I'd never got round to it. This year I read several weeks in
advance about the Tasty Cheddar 100km. It started and finished in
Bristol, which was important - the thought of driving halfway across the
country for a bike ride has never appealed to me. By the time I'd
ridden to the start, and ridden home again at the end, the total
distance would be about 80 miles. That's a long way to ride with
October weather, particularly bearing in mind the hills. But I booked
the time off from the family, registered, and just decided to be
prepared to wimp out if it was wet and windy.

A few days before the event, the forecast was for a grey day, with
plenty of showers and stronger winds than I liked the idea of. It
didn't change much as the day approached, except for the forecast winds
to get lighter. Anyway, they were forecast to be stronger in the
afternoon than in the morning, and in the afternoon they should be in my
favour.

Thursday and Friday were grey, damp and windy. When I went to bed on
Friday the forecast was for more of the same.

I left my alarm set as if for work and got up as soon as it went off (so
10 minutes earlier than I get up for work). I opened the curtains to a
blue sky, glorious sunshine and not a breath of wind. I checked the
forecast, it was to be sunny all day, with no mention of wind. No
excuse to wimp out and visit the 2 local breweries that were having an
open day, then.

After a small bowl of cereal (all I can manage at that time of the
morning), I left at 08:20. I should have got to the start for 09:00
with no problems. Unfortunately I had trouble finding the Create Centre.
I didn't actually make a wrong turning - I just thought I had, and spent
quite a while trying to figure out where I /should/ have gone.

(For those who know the area better than I do, I got my roundabouts
mixed up in the centre of Bristol. I knew I wanted to turn right from
what I thought was the Bedminster Bridge roundabout, and that's exactly
what I did. I found myself on York Road, which I didn't think was right.
I checked the A-Z and found that York Road was a left turn from the
Bedminster Bridge roundabout, so I turned round and went back to the
roundabout. Eventually I worked out that what I had /thought/ was the
Bedminster Bridge roundabout was actually the Temple Gate roundabout.
By turning into York Road, I had been heading in the right direction all
along, /towards/ the Bedminster Bridge roundabout. I hate trying to
navigate in the centre of Bristol.)

Anyway, I reached the Create Centre at 09:20. I had planned to have a
sandwich before starting, and there was no way I was starting the ride
without one. So I was half an hour late starting. That put a stop to
my primary navigation plan, which was to ride with the bunch and hope
that enough of them had done it before and would know where they were
going. I forgot to check my mileage at the start, but based on my
mileage at the first control it must have been about 10.

The ride started by following the appalling (if you're on slick tyres)
cycle route along the West bank of the Avon, opposite the Portway. If
I'd twigged beforehand I might have planned a different route (and I'd
probably have got lost).

Not too long after leaving the cyclepath, I found a nice descent. I
changed up to, and then over, the big ring. Then had to stop and put my
chain back on.

My legs had had a hard day the previous Sunday. I'd made an effort
during the week to rest them and replenish my glycogen reserves
(including forcing myself to take it easy riding to and from work the
two days before the event), but every time I hit a climb it was
painfully obvious that I hadn't done enough. Still, I passed the first
two stragglers, checking their route guides, at 10:10, just after the
first sign post to Clapton and about 7 miles after starting.

In Clevedon there was an instruction to turn right opposite church,
signposted Sea Front. I found a church with a right turn opposite it,
but no signpost to the sea front - just a cul-de-sac sign. So I carried
on for a short distance. I could see the sea on my right, and no sign
of another church, so I decided the previous turning must have been the
right one. I went back to it and followed the road to its end, by which
time it was clear that I'd been right first time. So, back to the main
road, and I eventually found another church with a right turn opposite,
this time signposted to the sea front. I reached the first control at
11:05 (or 11:08 according to Rich, who was manning it, 8 minutes late),
with the computer showing 25.59 miles.

Navigating out of Clevedon involved getting out the A-Z and hoping that
Clevedon was included. Fortunately, it was. Cheddar was easy to find,
and I reached the second control at 13:13, with 11 minutes to spare.
The computer showed 44.01 miles.

I stopped in Cheddar for a couple of truly vile tasting doughnuts.
Don't buy doughnuts from Fortes ice cream parlour. I also replaced the
black lenses in my cycling glasses with amber ones, a decision that I
was to regret a couple of miles later when I had to change back because
I had the sun in my eyes. It started to spit with rain while I was
eating the doughnuts, but it didn't last long. I had intended to
acquire more water in Cheddar, but upon consolidating my supplies I
found that I had 3 full bottles and a smidgen more. I drank the smidgen
and decided not to carry any more up the gorge.

Part way up the gorge, I decided I'd be better off if I knew roughly how
far I had to go. I stopped to check the map, and was passed by 4 riders
who had left the control shortly after me (I soon passed two of them
once I set off again). I reckoned that the serious climbing would
finish no more than a mile from the control, so I set my computer to
show trip distance and rode on with the expectation that the road would
get easier before I reached 45 miles. I was right - just. I had
another 2.3 miles of climbing before turning off of the gorge road, but
they were much less severe (although perhaps not for the dead badger
that I saw at about 46 miles).

At the turning off of the Cheddar Gorge road, I met the other two riders
who had passed me on the gorge. They were waiting for their mates to
catch up. After the turn, the road continued to climb for a further 1.4
miles. This was where I started having trouble following the route sheet.

The route sheet told me to go straight on at the first crossroads, then
right at the next crossroads, signposted West Harptree. I went straight
on at the first crossroads. At the next crossroads I was ready to turn
right, but noticed that West Harptree was signposted straight on. As I
was pondering, the cyclists that I had met at the earlier turning caught
up. One of them stopped and told me it was straight on here - the
previous crossroads hadn't been included in the route sheet. He
mentioned that he'd done the ride twice before, and had previously met
people stuck at this particular crossroads complaining about the directions.

He then stayed to wait for his mates to catch up again. I should have
stayed with him, but instead I carried on. I must have missed a couple
of instructions, and as a result I ended up going straight on at a
crossroads where I should have turned right (I did check the sign, but
West Harptree was signposted diagonally, it could just as easily have
been pointing either right or straight on).

By the time I realised my mistake, I'd ridden 2 miles (including a
fairly long descent) out of my way. I managed to find my way to West
Harptree, then had enormous difficulty working out where to go next. At
this low point of the ride, as I was lost and it seemed unlikely that
I'd make the third control on time, it started to rain. Hard. I did
not welcome the cold shower, fortunately it only lasted a few minutes.

I eventually found the steep hill into Hinton Blewett, and ended up
walking it because my rear tyre couldn't get sufficient traction on the
wet road. I reached the 3rd control at 15:45, 50 minutes after it
closed! The computer showed 58.14 miles.

After leaving the 3rd control, I wasted no time in getting lost again.
The first instruction was to turn left at the T-junction signposted Chew
Magna. I never found that T-junction (and I still can't find it on the
map).

The first junction I found was a crossroads. Well, sort of. The road
bent round to the right, in what appeared to be completely the wrong
direction, with straight on and left effectively being turnings. After
looking at the map I decided that I needed to go straight on to Bishop
Sutton. At Bishop Sutton I came to another crossroads, where I decided
the best bet was to go straight on again and continue to follow the NCN
route 3 signs. I lost the signs twice, each time struggling to find
them again.

When I found a signpost telling me that I was ½ mile from Stanton Drew,
I was finally able to work out on the map where I was. I was only a
mile off course, but it looked a lot more. I was also more than 6 miles
- as the crow flies - from the finish, with only 10 minutes to get there
and every chance of getting lost again in the attempt. I phoned Joe
(the organiser) to tell him that I wouldn't be finishing on time and
that I probably wouldn't bother finishing at all.

Shortly after that, I worked out that I was probably closer to home than
to the finish. Home would also be easier to find - all I had to do was
follow the NCN route 10 signs. With sore knees (my right knee started
to twinge at 47 miles, on the climb of Cheddar Gorge), home seemed like
a very good place to head for. The decision was made painful by the
thought of missing the mini beer festival that was supposedly being laid
on for us at the finish.

At 17:25, with the computer showing 66.09 miles, I was between Pensford
and Compton Dando when I heard a sound from the direction of the rear
wheel very much like that made by a flat tyre. I stopped and found that
I had a flat rear tyre. As I fixed it, having to use my knife to remove
a thorn, a WVM stopped to check that I was OK.

One thing I *did* get out of my diversion was a photo of Compton church.
I failed to get one when I passed this way last year, because my
camera battery was flat.

I arrived home at 19:50. The computer showed a distance of 77.35 miles,
riding time 6:48:54, average riding speed 11.3mph. I'd ridden near
enough the same number of miles that I'd expected to ride, they just
weren't quite the same miles. I think I did all the climbs at least
once, and then some. And, of course, I completed the all important
climb of Cheddar Gorge.

It was a nice ride, but would probably have been better with company.
Thanks for organising it, Joe. Perhaps I'll try again next year. Maybe
next time I'll find the start on time and manage to complete the route
without making so many mistakes.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/cycling/ridereports/cheddar05.html>

I'd fancied trying an audax ever since I first read about them, years
ago, but I'd never got round to it. This year I read several weeks in
advance about the Tasty Cheddar 100km.

Nice story Danny - thanks for sharing it with us.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

[...]

Nice one, Danny.

Cheers, helen s

"wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

apologies, group...

Cheers, helen s

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/cycling/ridereports/cheddar05.html>
>
> I'd fancied trying an audax ever since I first read about them, years
> ago, but I'd never got round to it. This year I read several weeks in
> advance about the Tasty Cheddar 100km.
>
> Nice story Danny - thanks for sharing it with us.

Indeed .... note to self, when reach audax mileage find one that has a
better route plan ;) (i'll be adding a gps unit once I get to those
sort of distances ... my route finding skills are not upto much.)

It was a nice ride, but would probably have been better with company.
Thanks for organising it, Joe. Perhaps I'll try again next year. Maybe
next time I'll find the start on time and manage to complete the route
without making so many mistakes.

I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the relevant
pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be invaluable. On
my first Audax, the OS map was a life saver on several occasions and it
rescued me and a couple of other first timers when it wasn't too obvious
where we'd gone wrong. It would also be helpful if organisers explained the
conventions used in the rote description. It was only on my third ride that
it was explained to me that the places typed in bold were ridden through. I
effectively rode on my own on the first Audax as I too arrived late and the
aforementioned first timers would bugger off into the distance and leave me
to replace the map in my pannier until I came across them again pondering
over their route description at a juction. The next two Audaxes were also
solo efforts, I arrived for the Easingwold 100 10 mins late and was 20 mins
behind the bunch. Took 30km to catch up with the tail enders. The 150km Ron
Kitchin ride at York saw me peeled off the main bunch at the start by
traffic lights that took a personal dislike to me and invariably turned red
on my approach. Steep hills and gravity imposed an even greater distance
between the 'greyhounds' and myself. I'd arrive at cafe's to see the tail
enders disappearing into the distance having filld thmselves with tea and
cake. The only time I had a riding companion was on a 200k Audax in York
and he was the only other rider. I bailed out of my last Audax having
arrived late and faled to catch up with the bunch after 30 k and was feeling
a tad off colour still got 45 miles in so I got a decent amount of exercise.
Then there was the Audax that i turned up for a day *early* but that's
another tale :)

vernon wrote:

> I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the relevant
> pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be invaluable.

I don't know about you (well, given the posting you are a lot like me
in many respects), but heading off into uncharted territory with a
routesheet that if you miss one turn means you are Lost (actually, in
my neck of the woods you may end up there), seems to me to be a tad on
the adventurous side. Especially when the Lost may occur a long way
from anywhere recognisable as civilised.

So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
route through. It then gives me a very good idea of what to expect and
where the tricky bits might be. (ie left turn in 5km. Are there two
other left turns at 4.9 and 5.1 k, both of which have signposts to the
same place, which could seriously ruin my day or is it the only turn
for many k either side.)

So I follow the AUK guidelines of 'familiarise yourself with the route
before you start'. I then carry the OS map with me, keep a strict eye
on the speedo (set to distance) and continually work out the difference
between the given distance and my measured distance (they will be
different). The only improvements to the route cards I have used would
be differential distances and grid references.

I like the orienteers maxim of keeping yourself unlost. It also helps
to break down the longer stretches between nav points into thinking
sized chunks.

Oh, I also highlight key points on the route sheet, and encapsulate it
in plastic. Works a treat.

...d

> So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
> route through. It then gives me a very good idea of what to expect and
> where the tricky bits might be. (ie left turn in 5km. Are there two
> other left turns at 4.9 and 5.1 k, both of which have signposts to the
> same place, which could seriously ruin my day or is it the only turn
> for many k either side.)
>
> So I follow the AUK guidelines of 'familiarise yourself with the route
> before you start'. I then carry the OS map with me, keep a strict eye
> on the speedo (set to distance) and continually work out the difference
> between the given distance and my measured distance (they will be
> different). The only improvements to the route cards I have used would
> be differential distances and grid references.
>
> I like the orienteers maxim of keeping yourself unlost. It also helps
> to break down the longer stretches between nav points into thinking
> sized chunks.
>
> Oh, I also highlight key points on the route sheet, and encapsulate it
> in plastic. Works a treat.
>
> ..d

This is all hopefully next years fun for me ... but seeing the advances
in gps kit available is anyone using one on a bike at the moment?
Good/bad points?

Id want to do a similar thing with the map and enter the route points
into the gps thingy and have it direct me there - keeping this map as a
last resort sort of thing.

David Martin wrote:
> vernon wrote:
>
>>I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the relevant
>>pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be invaluable.

> I don't know about you (well, given the posting you are a lot like me
> in many respects), but heading off into uncharted territory with a
> routesheet that if you miss one turn means you are Lost (actually, in
> my neck of the woods you may end up there), seems to me to be a tad on
> the adventurous side. Especially when the Lost may occur a long way
> from anywhere recognisable as civilised.
>
> So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
> route through. It then gives me a very good idea of what to expect and
> where the tricky bits might be. (ie left turn in 5km. Are there two
> other left turns at 4.9 and 5.1 k, both of which have signposts to the
> same place, which could seriously ruin my day or is it the only turn
> for many k either side.)
>
> So I follow the AUK guidelines of 'familiarise yourself with the route
> before you start'. I then carry the OS map with me, keep a strict eye
> on the speedo (set to distance) and continually work out the difference
> between the given distance and my measured distance (they will be
> different). The only improvements to the route cards I have used would
> be differential distances and grid references.
>
> I like the orienteers maxim of keeping yourself unlost. It also helps
> to break down the longer stretches between nav points into thinking
> sized chunks.
>
> Oh, I also highlight key points on the route sheet, and encapsulate it
> in plastic. Works a treat.
>
> ..d

I am a first year Audaxer but have completed 13 this year. I like to
have traced the route on a OS map, road atlas version, beforehand and
perhaps mark it up. If one does get lost, it is far quicker to be able
to navigate back onto the route if one knows where the route is going
to go. One does not have to complete every km of the prescribed route so
one is allowed to join it later providing one knows where that point
might be. This way, un planned detours are often not very much further
and don't waste too much time.

m0rk wrote:

> Id want to do a similar thing with the map and enter the route points
> into the gps thingy and have it direct me there - keeping this map as a
> last resort sort of thing.

Some folk use them on AUK events, I don't. They still get lost though. A
GPS will not stop you getting lost if you make the wrong descision when
descisions in the comfort of your own home than you do when out on the
road, oh and you batteries doesn't die on you. They really are not
necessary on AUK events if you can read. I have done many events without
looking at a map nor a GPS, conversly I have over taken GPS users as hey
change their batteries or worse as they return from a detour from the
proscribed route !!!.

vernon wrote:
> I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the relevant
> pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be invaluable. On
> my first Audax, the OS map was a life saver on several occasions and it
> rescued me and a couple of other first timers when it wasn't too obvious
> where we'd gone wrong.

The route covered two Landranger maps. I had both of them with me, and
the A-Z. All of them were necessary.

> It would also be helpful if organisers explained the
> conventions used in the rote description.

The one I only worked out after I got home was that if you have priority
at a crossroads and are going straight on, then the crossroads won't be
mentioned in the route description. It seems reasonable, but it was
pretty confusing 50 miles into the ride when I had been specifically
looking for a crossroads to go straight on at...

The bit that really confused me after the first control was to do with
the route sheet being divided into 4 numbered parts. There were 4
controls, so I assumed that after leaving the first control I'd need to
start at the beginning of section 2. Which meant that I had missed no
less than 7 instructions! Fortunately I worked it out before I had a
chance to get lost.

Before the second control I was looking for a right turn opposite a
church. It was just unfortunate that it was a few hundred yards after
another right turn opposite a church. It might have been useful for the
name of the church and the name of the road that we were to turn into
to have been included on the route sheet.

--

David Martin wrote:
> So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
> route through.

I traced the route on the map before I registered, just because I wanted
to check the contours before deciding whether I wanted to register.
Going over it in more detail a day or two before the event would have
been a good idea, though.

> So I follow the AUK guidelines of 'familiarise yourself with the route
> before you start'. I then carry the OS map with me, keep a strict eye
> on the speedo (set to distance) and continually work out the difference
> between the given distance and my measured distance (they will be
> different). The only improvements to the route cards I have used would
> be differential distances and grid references.

Grid references would have been *very* helpful. They wouldn't have been
much use in the places where I was lost in the Somerset lanes and unable
to work out where I was on the map, but once I knew where I was they
would have made it so much easier to work out where I *should* have been.

I think it might be useful next time for me to retype the worksheet,
with a map next to me, putting it into a more easily readable format
(i.e. only one instruction to a line) and putting in grid references
where possible.

--

MSeries wrote:

> Some folk use them on AUK events, I don't. They still get lost though. A
> GPS will not stop you getting lost if you make the wrong descision when
> descisions in the comfort of your own home than you do when out on the
> road, oh and you batteries doesn't die on you. They really are not
> necessary on AUK events if you can read. I have done many events without
> looking at a map nor a GPS, conversly I have over taken GPS users as hey
> change their batteries or worse as they return from a detour from the
> proscribed route !!!.

A GPS will not necessarily send you the right way, especially at a
complicated junction, but it will make it clear fairly soon that you've
gone the wrong way. It's also brilliant for getting you back on route
when you have gone wrong. I've used one a couple of times recently,
mainly as an experiment. The one I tried is a Garmin 89. It's quite old
kit and intended mainly for aviation. I'd quite like to try some more
with something like a Garmin Vista.

Whether or not the route sheet is better depends on the route sheet.
Mostly I would still use the route sheet as the primary navigation tool,
but having done a couple of Wessex events this year it would be the GPS
every time for this style of route sheet. Mind you the Wessex route
sheets are not easy to follow, even on a map, so entering some of the
way points might be problematical.

--
Dave...

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Martin wrote:
>> So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
>> route through.

> I traced the route on the map before I registered, just because I wanted
> to check the contours before deciding whether I wanted to register. Going
> over it in more detail a day or two before the event would have been a
> good idea, though.

I've only been on one formal audax - a short one. I'm not ashamed to admit I
found the route sheet confusing - reading that was an entire new skill in
itself. I find an OS map much easier. Is there anywhere online that
describes the terminology of an audax route map?

Cheers, helen s

in message <[email protected]>, David
Martin ('[email protected]') wrote:

> vernon wrote:
>>
>> I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the
>> relevant pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be
>> invaluable.

> I don't know about you (well, given the posting you are a lot like me
> in many respects), but heading off into uncharted territory with a
> routesheet that if you miss one turn means you are Lost (actually, in
> my neck of the woods you may end up there), seems to me to be a tad on
> the adventurous side. Especially when the Lost may occur a long way
> from anywhere recognisable as civilised.

A word to the wise: take your reading glasses. Do not ask how I know
this.

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from  religious conviction."          -- Pascal

in message <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> vernon wrote:
>> I found that having either an ordnace survey map or a a copy of the
>> relevant
>> pages from a motoring map that correspond to the route to be
>> invaluable. On my first Audax, the OS map was a life saver on several
>> occasions and it rescued me and a couple of other first timers when it
>> wasn't too obvious where we'd gone wrong.

> The route covered two Landranger maps. I had both of them with me, and
> the A-Z. All of them were necessary.

I used to use Michelin maps. They were printed on thin paper and were
smaller scale than the standard OS maps but perfect for cycling because
very lightweight and you get a useful amount of territory on one sheet.
I had thought you could not get them anymore as I haven't seen them for
sale for years - but Amazon stock them.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed

wafflycat wrote:
> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > David Martin wrote:
> >> So when I get the route sheet, I sit down with an OS map and follow the
> >> route through.

> > I traced the route on the map before I registered, just because I wanted
> > to check the contours before deciding whether I wanted to register. Going
> > over it in more detail a day or two before the event would have been a
> > good idea, though.
> >

> I've only been on one formal audax - a short one. I'm not ashamed to admit I
> found the route sheet confusing - reading that was an entire new skill in
> itself. I find an OS map much easier. Is there anywhere online that
> describes the terminology of an audax route map?

Various, but they are all different.. I have seen good, bad and
indifferent ones. My preferred format is tabular with one direction per
line, four blocks per A4 page.

typically there are a bunch of abbreviations used, most of which are
obvious. The other thing is that only junctions where you do not have
priority are noted.

Abbreviations:

L, R, SO (left right straight over)
at T
Imm (Immediate, eg L Imm R for a staggerred junction)
SP (signposted)
RO (Roundabout)

There is a set of symbols that are used as well for the better route
sheets but I can't find them right now.

Hope this helps.

...d

>>The one I only worked out after I got home was that if you have priority
>>at a crossroads and are going straight on, then the crossroads won't be
>>mentioned in the route description.

Thanks, I wondered what the rule was!!

I absolutely _hate_ navigating from lists of instructions - those AA
routes are the worst, but I also find Audax ones difficult. For
example, all you have is "L SP Ambridge" there is no indication whether
it's in 1 km or 30 km, if it's the first left or the 20th. So after 10
km you're starting to worry whether you've missed it. Then there are
the instructions that have been used for 20 years with no changes, so
all the new junctions, roundabouts, signposts are not on there and you
have to guess. If you miss one instruction without a map you have to
retrace.

This year is my first year Audaxing, but what I do now is check the
route beforehand on an OS 1:25000, then either cut out or photocopy
bits of a motoring atlas in the right size to stick in the mapholder
next to the instructions. I then use a highlighter to outline the
route. I find it much easier to think of "third left onto B-road,
heading due East". Another tip is to highlight every third line in the
instructions, then it is easier to focus on and find your place while
you're moving.