First Audax - well, nearly (long)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Ian Blake

    Ian Blake Guest

    >Apparently according to an Elder AUKsman (who happens to be catering
    >for me next week) they are not strictly allowed as you cannot force
    >riders to use a certain route; only to visit the controls and ride the
    >distance. I bring this up as I noticed that the main hill on my event
    >can actually be by-passed. This is an insurance issue. No restriction
    >on info's though.

    As an Auk for over a medium term (about ten years riding) I can make
    some comments on Secret Controls. Generally it meant somebody
    standing in the middle of nowhere waiting to surprise the cyclist.
    These were usually between the start and the first proper control. If
    it is early in the ride the controller has a small length of time to
    stand around. On the otherhand there were some well known secret
    controls after the first control, for instance everybody knew that
    Ruth Allen (original organiser of Welsh Desert 200) would be at the
    side of road above Llyn Brianne reservoir with a Tea urn. An early
    Secret Control is much better than an info. People are nicer even if
    they tell you about the hill just around the corner. I never
    experienced a secret control apart from Ruth's deep into a ride. Many
    checkpoints on old events run recently were former sites of secret
    controls.

    Planning a nice route to a set length say 200km is quite difficult.
    Routes are proposed and when properly measured might come in as 194km.
    In this case the organiser usually adds a little local loop at the
    start (rarely at the end, thats not nice). These were usually
    controlled with a secret control. However some organisers abused the
    secret control with rediculously convoluted starts to routes which is
    one of the arguments against secret controls. The other problem with
    secret controls is route sheet paranoia. It is very uncomfortable for
    the rider if he/she thinks he/or she may have missed a control.

    On my route I have a nice section of quiet lanes, a really nice place
    to ride in fact and is the way I always ride here. However someone
    who does not know the area will look at the map and see the B/A roads
    parallel to it that mostly go around the hill the lane goes over. This
    is impossilble to lock down with Info controls. A rider who was
    inclined to do so could cut across to or from the B/A road at several
    points. The hint that there is a secret control here would keep the
    rider honest. (I would not do that unless there was a controller
    there, that would be unkind).

    In an earlier post I said it was possible to get under distance on my
    new audax. This was ambiguous, it is possible to undercut the 205km
    on the route sheet but not possible to get under 200km. To avoid any
    of the major climbs, on this 4400m route (memorymap intially claimed
    5040km which I did not believe), requires a substantial diversion.

  2. Also sprach MartinM [email protected]:

    > a curious other bit of convention I've noticed is that if the SP
    > points to nowhere on the ride the bottom destination is always that
    > which goes on the route sheet ie;
    >
    > London 38
    > Canterbury 25
    > Figgleworth Badger 1/4
    >
    > it is SP Figgleworth Badger

    Odd. I noticed the opposite on the Golden Tints 200 on Saturday.

    Among the calamities of war may be jointly numbered the diminution of
    the love of truth, by the falsehoods which interest dictates and
    credulity encourages.

  3. Also sprach MartinM <[email protected]>:

    > Train? what's that? ;-)

    Ride to Thee Pubbe, obv.

    > I will have to do it in 2 years when I am the average age of AUK
    > membership

    Hurrah! I am but a Mere Stripling Yowth...

    Every establishment needs an opposition.

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > Also sprach MartinM [email protected]:
    >
    > > a curious other bit of convention I've noticed is that if the SP
    > > points to nowhere on the ride the bottom destination is always that
    > > which goes on the route sheet ie;
    > >
    > > London 38
    > > Canterbury 25
    > > Figgleworth Badger 1/4
    > >
    > > it is SP Figgleworth Badger

    > Odd. I noticed the opposite on the Golden Tints 200 on Saturday.

    You mean there's a place called Badger Figgleworth?

    BTW the reason I put the big Osprey sign out on Saturday was that after
    re-doing the info's and sending them off I realised that this was the
    only ride I had ever done which involved getting off you bike and
    peering through phone boxes for info's; next year's will feature info
    controls that can be seen even whilst passing at improbable speeds on a
    Trice.