first bench meet

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:35:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:19:03 -0600, John Hanson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:40:33 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
>>misc.fitness.weights:

>>>I'd like to see an online tutorial, video, or jpg sequence
>>>illustrating the "spot lift."
>>>
>>>What are the biomechanics of this lift? Knees slightly bent, mixed
>>>grip, back slightly forward, gaze always downward, etc.?
>>>
>>>How high should the spotter's platform be? How tall should the
>>>spotter be relative to the pin the bar is resting on?
>>>
>>>How should the bencher and the spotter be positioned relative to each
>>>other so that the spotter doesn't have to move the bar too far forward
>>>to get it into the right position for the controlled descent?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the bencher is always helping (unracking the bar and
>>>bringing it to the correct position) and that the spotter is not
>>>unracking the bar and bringing it to the correct position and then
>>>gradually lowering it to the bencher's outstretched hands all by
>>>himself.
>>>
>>>I ask these questions because I'm the spotter for a guy who wants to
>>>max out at 275-280 at a meet two weeks away. We work together in
>>>unracking the bar and getting it to the correct position for him, but
>>>his performance is a lot worse when I "help" him. (I'm not
>>>overlooking the fact that he started pausing a split-second longer at
>>>bottom when I started helping him unrack and position the bar. (He
>>>never "bounces" it.) The total time under tension is doubtless
>>>longer. My sense is that I'm not giving him all that much help
>>>unracking the bar and that my assistance is negligible as the bar
>>>moves forward (away from me) to get it into the correct pposition for
>>>him.
>>>
>>>I don't get the "give it to him smoothly" part although that sounds
>>>great. How do you do this and tell when you have and haven't done
>>>this right?

>>Practice makes perfect. You should also have some idea from when
>>people give you a "pick".

>Please explain.

Hand off for people and get hand offs from people. Eventually, you'll
get good at it. It isn't rocket science. Just do it.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:50:31 -0600, John Hanson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:35:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
>misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:19:03 -0600, John Hanson
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:40:33 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
>>>misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Practice makes perfect. You should also have some idea from when
>>>people give you a "pick".

>>Please explain.

>Hand off for people and get hand offs from people. Eventually, you'll
>get good at it. It isn't rocket science. Just do it.

No it ain't. My confusion stems from the fact that I don't bench. No
flats, inclines, or declines. Ever. (Well, I use Lifeline-USA's
PowerPushup2 to do "benches," but that's hardly the same thing.)
So I have no idea what it's like to be handed the bar. Of course, I
could start, but I imagine I'd have to work up to being able to manage
a decent weight before I could sound off on what's a good spot vs
something else. I'm not going to start soon because I've temporarily
cut out all presses due to a nagging shoulder problem. All I want to
do is figure out how to set up for, and hand off the weight to, a
friend who's getting ready for a local meet in under two weeks.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:08:48 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> What about spotters? The meets supply their own, right? One for
>>> each
>>> side of the bar?

>>The meets I've been at have supplied more than enough spotters, but
>>for
>>bench, a lifter often prefers to supply his own person to take the
>>center position for hand-off if that's possible.
>>
>>-S-

> Why is one person in the middle better than one at each end? I was
> spotting my friend today and he did worse with me spotting than by
> unracking it himself. If I'm not mistaken (but I could be), the meet
> requires spotters to unrack the bar and give it to the lifter at
> lockout. I know I can't do that by myself standing behind his head
> with a 380 lb bar.

Boy, go to the in-laws for Easter and look what I find when I come back!

At the meets I've been at, there have been *both* center hand-offs *and*
spotters on either side. Two different things here - the former gives
you the bar (or "helps you unrack the bar" might be a better
description) and the latter are there to take the weight if you can't
make the lift (either if the judge tells them to take it or you yourself
tell them to). It's not an either/or proposition, at least it hasn't
been for me. And there's no reason why the spotters can't help with the
hand-off, but they would take their lead from the person in the center.
I honestly couldn't tell you if I got the bar just by me unracking it
with help from the center person or if the spotters also helped; I just
don't remember.

A good hand-off makes a world of difference - actually, a better way to
put it is that a lousy hand-off can keep you from doing your best
whereas a good one lets you focus on the business of performing the
lift.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:41:43 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:50:31 -0600, John Hanson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:35:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
>>misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Please explain.

>>Hand off for people and get hand offs from people. Eventually, you'll
>>get good at it. It isn't rocket science. Just do it.

>No it ain't. My confusion stems from the fact that I don't bench. No
>flats, inclines, or declines. Ever. (Well, I use Lifeline-USA's
>PowerPushup2 to do "benches," but that's hardly the same thing.)
>So I have no idea what it's like to be handed the bar. Of course, I
>could start, but I imagine I'd have to work up to being able to manage
>a decent weight before I could sound off on what's a good spot vs
>something else. I'm not going to start soon because I've temporarily
>cut out all presses due to a nagging shoulder problem. All I want to
>do is figure out how to set up for, and hand off the weight to, a
>friend who's getting ready for a local meet in under two weeks.

Then have someone else hand off to him.

> On 26 Mar 2005 18:49:19 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >[email protected] wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> >> If I'm not mistaken (but I could be), the meet
> >> requires spotters to unrack the bar and give it to the lifter at
> >> lockout. I know I can't do that by myself standing behind his head
> >> with a 380 lb bar.

> >lol no you wouldn't want to try that i don't think...

> No way!
>
> As I said, my training partner was far more successful unracking the
> bar himself than having me assist him in unracking it.
> He thought it might be helpful to have me assist to get him used to
> the feeling of being handed the bar. I'm not sure I agree. I imagine
> being handed the bar in a lockout feels very different than being
> given a small assist in unracking it. But I don't know anything about
> all this. I don't bench and I've never observed a meet.

Are you going to be handing off to him at the meet? Then just practice
with him to do what feels right to him. If you're not handing off to
him at the meet, don't worry about it. He always has the option to
unrack the weight himself at the meet. Or, he can ask who the official
liftoff person is and/or find a friendly stranger in the warmup room and
get a couple practice liftoffs with his actual liftoff man during
warmups.

I've lifted off for guys benching into the low 500 lbs, which is about
what I deadlift. I use an alternate grip and make sure to let go of the
bar slowly and gently when in position for the lifter to start.

Before the lift, I stand straddling the lifters forhead and once he has
his hands gripping the bar, I begin to pull the slack out of the bar -
pulling not quite hard enough to lift the weight off the racks of my own
accord, but so that as soon as the lifter pushes the weight it comes up
easily. Then I guide it up and out over his preferred spot over his
chest, still trying to lift, like Keith says, about 40 lbs less than the
total weight on the bar. Then let go gently being sure not to impart
any spin on the bar once it's in position. Then (at a meet) I quickly
back away and off to the side so that the head referee has an
unobstructed view of the lift.

From a lifter's perspective, I find it better if my spotter imparts too
little help rather than too much. I've had spotters who try to liftoff
the entire weight even when it is near the maximum weight they can
handle, leading to a jerky liftoff and sometimes even worse, pulling the
bar up and partially out of my hands or pulling me out of position.
Slow and steady the whole way is highly preferred, even if it means more
wieght being lifted off by the lifter.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:08:54 -0600, John Hanson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Then have someone else hand off to him.

He can do that anytime he likes. No problem for me.
He's not complaining about my hand off. I'm just trying to learn
something.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:54:20 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:08:54 -0600, John Hanson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Then have someone else hand off to him.

>He can do that anytime he likes. No problem for me.
>He's not complaining about my hand off. I'm just trying to learn
>something.

Then do like I said and hand off more.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:22:46 -0500, "Steve Freides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>Boy, go to the in-laws for Easter and look what I find when I come back!
>
>At the meets I've been at, there have been *both* center hand-offs *and*
>spotters on either side. Two different things here - the former gives
>you the bar (or "helps you unrack the bar" might be a better
>description) and the latter are there to take the weight if you can't
>make the lift (either if the judge tells them to take it or you yourself
>tell them to). It's not an either/or proposition, at least it hasn't
>been for me. And there's no reason why the spotters can't help with the
>hand-off, but they would take their lead from the person in the center.
>I honestly couldn't tell you if I got the bar just by me unracking it
>with help from the center person or if the spotters also helped; I just
>don't remember.
>
>A good hand-off makes a world of difference - actually, a better way to
>put it is that a lousy hand-off can keep you from doing your best
>whereas a good one lets you focus on the business of performing the
>lift.
>
>-S-
>http://www.kbnj.com

If the hand-off makes a world of difference, I want to learn the art.
I won't be spotting my friend at the meet, but I am spotting him
during training sessions.

I've learned some useful information here and I'm grateful for it.
All my questions haven't been answered, but, then again, no one owes
me that. Spotting is an interesting topic. I am collecting a fair
amount of info on lifting, but spotting is rarely addressed in my
books.

The Net fills in some of the blanks left from this thread

http://umanitoba.fitdv.com/new/articles/article.html?artid=19
(pronated hand grips recommended)

Poliquin writes: "The biggest role of the spotter is to give the bar
away from the bench." All I've asked for is some information on how
to do this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru36.htm
http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/viewanexercise.asp?table=exercises&ID=1
(alternate hand grips recommended)

I should look at the IPF video clips on a computer with a faster
connection or a better display. What would really be helpful would be
videos or a closeup sequence of jpegs showing the various phases of
the handoff from different angles.

Or I could ask someone at the gym to demonstrate spotting and give me
feedback on what I'm doing.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:59:13 -0600, John Hanson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:54:20 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
>misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:08:54 -0600, John Hanson
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Then have someone else hand off to him.

>>He can do that anytime he likes. No problem for me.
>>He's not complaining about my hand off. I'm just trying to learn
>>something.

>Then do like I said and hand off more.

Yup. Will do.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:12:12 -0800, Will <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On 26 Mar 2005 18:49:19 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>> >[email protected] wrote:
>> ><snip>

>> >lol no you wouldn't want to try that i don't think...

>> No way!
>>
>> As I said, my training partner was far more successful unracking the
>> bar himself than having me assist him in unracking it.
>> He thought it might be helpful to have me assist to get him used to
>> the feeling of being handed the bar. I'm not sure I agree. I imagine
>> being handed the bar in a lockout feels very different than being
>> given a small assist in unracking it. But I don't know anything about
>> all this. I don't bench and I've never observed a meet.

>Are you going to be handing off to him at the meet? Then just practice
>with him to do what feels right to him. If you're not handing off to
>him at the meet, don't worry about it. He always has the option to
>unrack the weight himself at the meet. Or, he can ask who the official
>liftoff person is and/or find a friendly stranger in the warmup room and
>get a couple practice liftoffs with his actual liftoff man during
>warmups.
>
>I've lifted off for guys benching into the low 500 lbs, which is about
>what I deadlift. I use an alternate grip and make sure to let go of the
>bar slowly and gently when in position for the lifter to start.
>
>Before the lift, I stand straddling the lifters forhead and once he has
>his hands gripping the bar, I begin to pull the slack out of the bar -
>pulling not quite hard enough to lift the weight off the racks of my own
>accord, but so that as soon as the lifter pushes the weight it comes up
>easily. Then I guide it up and out over his preferred spot over his
>chest, still trying to lift, like Keith says, about 40 lbs less than the
>total weight on the bar. Then let go gently being sure not to impart
>any spin on the bar once it's in position. Then (at a meet) I quickly
>back away and off to the side so that the head referee has an
>unobstructed view of the lift.
>
>From a lifter's perspective, I find it better if my spotter imparts too
>little help rather than too much. I've had spotters who try to liftoff
>the entire weight even when it is near the maximum weight they can
>handle, leading to a jerky liftoff and sometimes even worse, pulling the
>bar up and partially out of my hands or pulling me out of position.
>Slow and steady the whole way is highly preferred, even if it means more
>wieght being lifted off by the lifter.

Thank you. Very helpful. Interesting that you use an alternate grip.

Steve Freides wrote:
> damifino@ oldman.org wrote:

>>Why is one person in the middle better than one at each end? I was
>>spotting my friend today and he did worse with me spotting than by
>>unracking it himself. If I'm not mistaken (but I could be), the meet
>>requires spotters to unrack the bar and give it to the lifter at
>>lockout. I know I can't do that by myself standing behind his head
>>with a 380 lb bar.

> At the meets I've been at, there have been *both* center hand-offs *and*
> spotters on either side. Two different things here - the former gives
> you the bar (or "helps you unrack the bar" might be a better
> description) and the latter are there to take the weight if you can't
> make the lift (either if the judge tells them to take it or you yourself
> tell them to). It's not an either/or proposition, at least it hasn't
> been for me. And there's no reason why the spotters can't help with the
> hand-off, but they would take their lead from the person in the center.
> I honestly couldn't tell you if I got the bar just by me unracking it
> with help from the center person or if the spotters also helped; I just
> don't remember.

The hand-off person should stay close (not in ref's way) to help
if needed. Provided the fed has no oddball rules against this..

Using the side spotters in hand-off can be problematic. Too easy for
one side to lift too much or too soon. It'd take practice to get
right.

> A good hand-off makes a world of difference - actually, a better way to
> put it is that a lousy hand-off can keep you from doing your best
> whereas a good one lets you focus on the business of performing the
> lift.

Yep.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:36:14 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I should look at the IPF video clips on a computer with a faster
>connection or a better display.

What you should do is Right-Click on the links
and choose the Save As... option to save the video
on your local machine. After downloading, you
can watch it at your leisure.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:02:06 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>>I've lifted off for guys benching into the low 500 lbs, which is about
>>what I deadlift. I use an alternate grip and make sure to let go of the
>>bar slowly and gently when in position for the lifter to start.
>>
>>Before the lift, I stand straddling the lifters forhead and once he has
>>his hands gripping the bar, I begin to pull the slack out of the bar -
>>pulling not quite hard enough to lift the weight off the racks of my own
>>accord, but so that as soon as the lifter pushes the weight it comes up
>>easily. Then I guide it up and out over his preferred spot over his
>>chest, still trying to lift, like Keith says, about 40 lbs less than the
>>total weight on the bar. Then let go gently being sure not to impart
>>any spin on the bar once it's in position. Then (at a meet) I quickly
>>back away and off to the side so that the head referee has an
>>unobstructed view of the lift.
>>
>>From a lifter's perspective, I find it better if my spotter imparts too
>>little help rather than too much. I've had spotters who try to liftoff
>>the entire weight even when it is near the maximum weight they can
>>handle, leading to a jerky liftoff and sometimes even worse, pulling the
>>bar up and partially out of my hands or pulling me out of position.
>>Slow and steady the whole way is highly preferred, even if it means more
>>wieght being lifted off by the lifter.

>Thank you. Very helpful. Interesting that you use an alternate grip.

I do the same. I've lifted onto lifters who bench about my
max deadlift and I wouldn't trust myself to hold onto that
properly with a pronated grip.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:33:09 +0000, Helgi Briem
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:36:14 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I should look at the IPF video clips on a computer with a faster
>>connection or a better display.

>What you should do is Right-Click on the links
>and choose the Save As... option to save the video
>on your local machine. After downloading, you
>can watch it at your leisure.

OK, did that. Still can't see things clearly.

A guy who works in my building and who claims to lift heavy told me he
uses a certain foot placement with one in front of the other and both
at an angle and an alternate grip when spotting to help the bencher
return the bar to the rack. I'm not sure I remember what he does to
help the bencher unrack the bar

I can't see the videos clearly so I don't know what type of grip the
spotters are using. I also can't tell what type of foot placement is
being used. My guess is that the foot placement of the IPF spotters
is not similar to what this guy uses. Of course, they aren't helping
to return the bar to the rack.

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:33:09 +0000, Helgi Briem
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:36:14 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>I should look at the IPF video clips on a computer with a faster
> >>connection or a better display.

> >What you should do is Right-Click on the links
> >and choose the Save As... option to save the video
> >on your local machine. After downloading, you
> >can watch it at your leisure.

> OK, did that. Still can't see things clearly.
>
> A guy who works in my building and who claims to lift heavy told me he
> uses a certain foot placement with one in front of the other and both
> at an angle and an alternate grip when spotting to help the bencher
> return the bar to the rack. I'm not sure I remember what he does to
> help the bencher unrack the bar
>
> I can't see the videos clearly so I don't know what type of grip the
> spotters are using. I also can't tell what type of foot placement is
> being used. My guess is that the foot placement of the IPF spotters
> is not similar to what this guy uses. Of course, they aren't helping
> to return the bar to the rack.

I usually stand with my right foot about even with the lifter's ear,
maybe 6" away from the bench horizontally. Left foot is behind the
bench, just slightly left of center. Some spotters use a more
symmetrical stance but having one foot forward feels more stable for me
especially brining the bar out far for benchers with a low groove (those
who touch low on the chest).

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:51:11 -0800, Will_S <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:33:09 +0000, Helgi Briem
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >What you should do is Right-Click on the links
>> >and choose the Save As... option to save the video
>> >on your local machine. After downloading, you
>> >can watch it at your leisure.

>> OK, did that. Still can't see things clearly.
>>
>> A guy who works in my building and who claims to lift heavy told me he
>> uses a certain foot placement with one in front of the other and both
>> at an angle and an alternate grip when spotting to help the bencher
>> return the bar to the rack. I'm not sure I remember what he does to
>> help the bencher unrack the bar
>>
>> I can't see the videos clearly so I don't know what type of grip the
>> spotters are using. I also can't tell what type of foot placement is
>> being used. My guess is that the foot placement of the IPF spotters
>> is not similar to what this guy uses. Of course, they aren't helping
>> to return the bar to the rack.

>I usually stand with my right foot about even with the lifter's ear,
>maybe 6" away from the bench horizontally. Left foot is behind the
>bench, just slightly left of center. Some spotters use a more
>symmetrical stance but having one foot forward feels more stable for me
>especially brining the bar out far for benchers with a low groove (those
>who touch low on the chest).

I appreciate the info. Thanks