First Big Ride

There's part of me that's sure that I could finish the 70. But I'm just going to try and finish with a respectable time in the 55. It'll be fun. There's more riding to do this year! The thing that is concerning me now is the weather forecast. Earlier this week the forecast was looking like 72 and sunny. Now the daytime high is forecast to be 58 (so around 42 at the race start time) and 50% chance of rain. Not sure I want to be freezing cold and wet for 3+ hours.

42 to 58 is perfect riding temps. A little rain could be a problem if you dont like getting wet.

Originally Posted by davereo .

42 to 58 is perfect riding temps. A little rain could be a problem if you dont like getting wet.

I don't own the apparel for such an event and considering I don't ride in those conditions normally, it behooves me to go out and spend $$$ for the clothing I will hardly ever wear again. Cold, I could make do. Wet? I will get soaked. Hopefully the forecast will change or become more clear. Worst case scenario, there will be other rides in the future.

Update: The weather didn't cooperate with this ride I was preparing for. So I chose another upcoming ride to do. Then the weather came creeping in again with a big storm. Thankfully the event has been postponed until tomorrow. Yes! It's a metric century. It's supported, but not highly. Two stops in 62 miles. I only sport one water bottle cage. Anyone think I should add one? Not alot of riders signed up for this either. Hope I can find a pack of people to hang with. Don't want to go slow but don't want to try and kill it!

Originally Posted by doctorold . ...It's supported, but not highly. Two stops in 62 miles. I only sport one water bottle cage. Anyone think I should add one?
Yes

I'd start a metric century with two full bottles and three or four packs of shot blocks or bars or gel packs or banannas or whatever you like to eat so that you could get through the distance on your own if necessary but that's only about 800-1000 Calories worth of food which isn't a lot plus a couple bottles with your preferred drink. Plan to stop and refuel but be prepared for problems on a lightly supported ride and at the very least have enough to fuel and hydrate for up to two or two and a half hours between stops if you go slower than expected or make a wrong turn or have to deal with flats or anything else that makes those rest stops seem far apart. But you should only try to ingest about 300 Calories per hour at the most if you don't want GI troubles so you're still only talking about a bit of pocket food.

Similarly be self contained with spare tube, levers, inflator/pump, etc. A decently supported ride should have pumps at the feed stations and some sag drivers scouting for roadside mechanical issues but it still pays to be self sufficient, especially if the weather is questionable which BTW also means a light rain jacket stuffed in your pocket...

-Dave

Originally Posted by doctorold .

Update: The weather didn't cooperate with this ride I was preparing for. So I chose another upcoming ride to do. Then the weather came creeping in again with a big storm. Thankfully the event has been postponed until tomorrow. Yes! It's a metric century. It's supported, but not highly. Two stops in 62 miles. I only sport one water bottle cage. Anyone think I should add one? Not alot of riders signed up for this either. Hope I can find a pack of people to hang with. Don't want to go slow but don't want to try and kill it!
There is a water stop every 20 miles. How much water do you normally drink in 20 miles? I drink 1/2 bottle every 13 miles (I do 13 mile laps so ...). How many gas stations/convenience stores are there along the route? I know where every store is even those a couple miles off my road routes. A lot of issues affect how many water bottles you should carry.

No need for a pack. My last century I latched on to a guy at the 80 mile stop. I did what I could for the last 20 miles. But for the most part his company kept me going. Just find one person who seems interested in taking the ride at your effort.

I normally ride 20 to 40 miles on one bottle. I'm wondering if my body will start screaming at me after that point. But I should be fine as long as I don't forget to fill up at every station. I do hope I can find that person(s) who keep a similar speed. Would be helpful on several fronts. Excited yet nervous. Hoping this weather clears up. Wind is blowing at 20-30 mph right now. Supposed to be 47 degrees at the start of the ride (9 a.m.). High of 70 but won't get near that till later in the aft. Layered clothing day. Hate having to tote removed layers but oh well. Let the fun begin!

Yes! So I completed my first metric century today. It was actually closer to 65 miles. I didn't blister the course but I had what I thought was a decent time. Several little stories/anecdotes/memories/learning moments that I take from this. No wrecks, no flats. The streak continues. Time to target my next big ride!! I'm stoked.

Definitely fun. If there was one drawback it was this: this course was not well marked. We had the cue sheets but at one point I was not riding with anyone and I missed a turn. I didn't get far before I realized I had missed it. So I backtracked and got going right. But when I finally had a group come along I felt I needed to keep up with them so I didn't get lost. And I got so focused on just riding at times that I didn't take time to fully enjoy the scenery. It was beautiful country. And there were a couple of times I would have liked to have stopped and taken some pictures and maybe just gotten an extra break...water and snack. It's not like I didn't enjoy the scenery but I might have enjoyed it even more. That's why I think I will like touring a little bit more when I have no time constraints. Ride as far as I want, stop whenever I want. But I'm sure I'll be doing more of these. It was good times.