First Bike Advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Marc Jennings, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. First apologies if this question is not appropriate to this group.

    I am about to buy a bike again after a number of years not cycling. I would plan to use it to get
    a little exercise and would be cycling on roads and off road cycle paths etc. so no extreme
    mountain biking.

    I have looked in my local bike shop and seen a Raleigh Mountain bike(Max Aero). This is a basic
    Mountain bike with ridged forks and a Chromeoly ?? frame. Parts all look reasonable quality (Shimano
    gears, EZ rapid fire shifters, Pro Max Brakes) and although it is obviously an old model it
    apparently had a UK RRP of 190 pounds. It is on offer for 90 pounds in a sale.

    Is this a good buy for a novice like me to start with? I've tried it for size etc. and it feels ok.
    In all honesty I can't afford to spend a great deal and all of the other bikes in this price range
    were makes I had never heard of. I understand that when paying this sort of money I can't expect a
    serious mountain bike.

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Marc

    Tags:

  2. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Marc Jennings wrote:
    > First apologies if this question is not appropriate to this group.
    >
    > I am about to buy a bike again after a number of years not cycling. I would plan to use it to get
    > a little exercise and would be cycling on roads and off road cycle paths etc. so no extreme
    > mountain biking.
    >
    > I have looked in my local bike shop and seen a Raleigh Mountain bike(Max Aero). This is a basic
    > Mountain bike with ridged forks and a Chromeoly ?? frame. Parts all look reasonable quality
    > (Shimano gears, EZ rapid fire shifters, Pro Max Brakes) and although it is obviously an old model
    > it apparently had a UK RRP of 190 pounds. It is on offer for 90 pounds in a sale.
    >
    > Is this a good buy for a novice like me to start with? I've tried it for size etc. and it feels
    > ok. In all honesty I can't afford to spend a great deal and all of the other bikes in this price
    > range were makes I had never heard of. I understand that when paying this sort of money I can't
    > expect a serious mountain bike.
    >
    > Any advice greatly appreciated.

    For the type of riding you're anticipating doing, this sounds like a good choice to me. Not "boingy"
    for smooth paths and trails; rugged enough to handle a few rocks 'n roots here and there.

    Bill "I say go for it" S.

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:02:38 +0000, Marc Jennings wrote:

    > I have looked in my local bike shop and seen a Raleigh Mountain bike(Max Aero). This is a basic
    > Mountain bike with ridged forks and a Chromeoly ?? frame. Parts all look reasonable quality
    > (Shimano gears, EZ rapid fire shifters, Pro Max Brakes) and although it is obviously an old model
    > it apparently had a UK RRP of 190 pounds. It is on offer for 90 pounds in a sale.

    I'd be very surprised if it had a cro-mo frame for that price. I'd double-check that the salesman
    hasn't been telling you porkies. Much more likely to be high tensile steel.

    > Is this a good buy for a novice like me to start with? I've tried it for size etc. and it
    > feels ok.

    If it fits, and you have no real intention of actually mountain biking with it, then it
    should be fine.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm