First bike as a older adult

bigmanonbike

Jul 18, 2007
well as a young kid as most of us did I rode my bike everywhere everyday, but for me life caught up to me and my dream of ever doing a RAAM or even doing a Century fell to the wayside. I am now 38 6'4" 350lbs looking to ride to lose weight and enojy what was one of the most fun things from my childhood. I was told that a Kona Smoke would be a good choice but would it support my huge weight?

bigmanonbike said:
well as a young kid as most of us did I rode my bike everywhere everyday, but for me life caught up to me and my dream of ever doing a RAAM or even doing a Century fell to the wayside. I am now 38 6'4" 350lbs looking to ride to lose weight and enojy what was one of the most fun things from my childhood. I was told that a Kona Smoke would be a good choice but would it support my huge weight?

Anyone have any advice too?

My dad is 6'4'' aswell, probably 270, and I want to get him a good bike for Christmas.

All bikes have a gross weight limit, Bike+Rider+Load, most Mountain Bikes top out at 120kg, road bikes lower. I suggest a stationery exercise bike until the weight comes down. :cool:

Expensive Custom Steel Frames and 40 spoke heavy duty custom wheels are not an economic option. :eek:

gclark8 said:
All bikes hage a gross weitht limit, Bike+Rider+Load, most top Mountain bikes out at 120kg. I suggest a stationery exercise bike until the weight comes down. :cool:

Expensive Custom Steel Frames and 40 spoke heavy duty wheels are not an economic option. :eek:
There has to be more options.

I mean, do they figure that someone who rides a 62 and high CM bike wouldn't weigh more?

I get weight savings for racing, but even economic bikes in the lower price range should account somewhat for the general public.

gclark8 said:
All bikes have a gross weight limit, Bike+Rider+Load, most Mountain Bikes top out at 120kg, road bikes lower. I suggest a stationery exercise bike until the weight comes down. :cool:

Expensive Custom Steel Frames and 40 spoke heavy duty custom wheels are not an economic option. :eek:
I did Google a run and found this http://www.supersizedcycles.com/

gotundersteer? said:
There has to be more options.

I mean, do they figure that someone who rides a 62 and high CM bike wouldn't weigh more?

I get weight savings for racing, but even economic bikes in the lower price range should account somewhat for the general public.
The "general public" is 1.75m tall and weighs 75kg, ask any airline!