Bike buying advice · Public discussion

First bike for a newbie?

Started by tokenron · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,144 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
11 August 2006
Last activity
13 August 2006
Original author
tokenron
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,144
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all! First post...

    I'm on the lookout for a first bike and my main question is this:

    I'm a pretty fit guy (RHR 50 MaxHR 195) but I weigh alot, having decided to switch to cycling from playing key position Aussie Rules football due to a spate of weight-bearing injuries to my knees and ankles. I've always loved cycling and I'm pretty good at it for my weight (225lbs, 188cm) but obviously I'm going to have to lose alot before I can ride at a competitive level.

    Is it best to invest in a good bike now or to start with an entry-level bicycle? I don't want to get a good bike and possibly wreck it while I'm thrashing myself into cycling shape.

    I've been looking at the Giant, Felt and Pinarello ranges and I was wondering what peoples' advice would be...right now I'm leaning towards hedging my bets and getting an OCR-1.

    Also, although price is not really an issue for me (within reason of course), what's the most important thing to look for in an entry-level bike? If I do get one, I'm not really concerned about weight or aero or handling, but I get OBSESSED when I cycle with pedalling/drive-train efficiency. Is it feasible or cost-effective to get say a F90 or OCR2-3 and upgrade the drivetrain?

  2. Most entry level and mid level road bikes are fine up to about 235 pounds, so your weight is not an issue. High end bikes with ridiculously light wheels might be a problem, but most bikes will be fine.

    In general, it is less expensive to buy a bike outfitted as you like rather than upgrading components. The manufacturers can get the higher level components for far less than you can. If you are serious about cycling, then go for 105 components over Sora or Tiagra, but it is not necessary to have Ultegra or Dura Ace unless you are racing at a high level. IMHO, the Felt f80 is a better buy than the Felt f90.

    In addition to the bikes you mentioned, I would consider the Specialized Allez Elite and the Trek 1500.

  3. Thanks for the advice Rick.

    I went out today and tried out some Felts, but one bike that I tried and loved was the LeMond Tourmalet - it fit me like a glove and with the 105/ultegra combo and less than $1700 Australian I snapped it up.

    Bring on the open road!

  4. You picked a good bike. My daughter has the LeMond Reno, and loves it. I just was not sure how available they were ouside of the US.

  5. RickF said:

    You picked a good bike. My daughter has the LeMond Reno, and loves it. I just was not sure how available they were ouside of the US.


    Trek Australia distributes them - from what I can see its at a slight mark up from what you get in the US but not much.

    Took it for its first 50k today. Love the geometry, it was a really comfortable ride. It doesn't accelerate too well but I wouldn't attack my own shadow when riding in a group anyway. Love the carbon seatpost and fork. I'm chuffed at what I got for the price. Brakes are a bit chunky and not particularly effective but that would be my only complaint.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.