First bike for newbie cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bspirou, Jun 6, 2012.

1. bspirou

bspirou New Member

Hi all,

I have been doing some research and test rides in a quest to purchase my first road bike. The Felt F6 has really caught my eye, but as a rookie road cyclist, I'm thinking that maybe I should go with an aluminum frame until I work out how prone I may or may not be to crashes and/or spills. I do have some MTB experience (recreational riding), and I only crashed when I tried to push my limits.

Anyway, I do plan to race (mostly tris, maybe some cycling races), so I'm thinking that I will benefit from the carbon frame, but maybe the aluminum frame will better suit me until I learn the subtleties of road cycling (and how to assess a bike) and figure out how crash/spill prone I may or may not be. (FYI, I am not interested in getting a tri-specific bike.)

I'd appreciate your thoughts suggestions on frame material, and if you have general comments on Felt Bikes or the F6 in particular, that would be great too.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. wa0elm

wa0elm New Member

I agree that the F6 is an excellent bike for your long term goals. If you're worried about crashing or other damage to a carbon frame, you might look at an aluminum F-series frame. I recently bought an F85, and found ot was very responsive, and was a great step up from my previous bike.

As you progress, and find your needs or wants in a bicycle change, you can look at more specialized framests and components that would better suit your needs. You might even find that a production bike won't do what you're looking for, and may start looking at building a custom bike from the ground up.

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

3. bspirou

bspirou New Member

Thanks for your input! I am still undecided at this point - just having a hard time deciding...!