First Bike purchase, need help deciding on an entry level bike!! Help!

stiffleg

Aug 11, 2013
So I just started getting into cycling, i've been riding my dads vintage faggin.
He wants to take me to Hotter in Hell, which is in roughly 2 weeks from now. I'll only be doing the 65 miles.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Orbea Aqua TSR , or a Cannondale caad 8.
I've been learning a lot over the past couple days about components and the bike brands in general, but i know there are people that are way more knowledgeable than i am.

My question is, which bike would you guys recommend? I provided 3 links, because i cant remember which caad8 my Local bike shop had, one has sora components and the other tiagra. I know tiagra is a step above the sora, but i only posted both because i cant remember which one the shop had, they might even have both.

I like the orbea because i was reading that orbea cares about the geometry of the bike a lot more, and the frame is similar to their Orca, is that true?

Please help me guys!

http://www.artscyclery.com/Orbea_Aqua_TSR_2013_Red_White/descpage-OB3ATSR.html

http://www.artscyclery.com/Cannondale_CAAD_8_7C_2013/descpage-CD3C87C.html
http://www.artscyclery.com/Cannondale_CAAD_8_2300_2013/descpage-CD3C823.html

call the shop, make an appointment and ride all three. elect the bike that fits you the best and the one you like the ride quality the best. Orbea and Cannondale both make great bikes

Mr645 said:
call the shop, make an appointment and ride all three. elect the bike that fits you the best and the one you like the ride quality the best.  Orbea and Cannondale both make great bikes
What he said. The component spec is pretty much a wash, but there are some minor differences: the Shimano 2300 components on the second CAAD8 are lower spec than the Shimano Sora components on the other two bikes, and the Shimano Sora on the first CAAD8 should be 9spd, not the 10spd shown. You'll need test rides to see whether the CAAD8 or the Aqua suits you most. With that said, I wouldn't be quick to rule out other brands, like Trek, Giant, Specialized, and others. I'd also recommend that you consider NOS (new old stock) bikes. Bike shops typically have those bikes priced lower, often low enough to get better components than you would find on a current model year bike at a comparable price. In other words, left overs from previous model years quite often make for great deals.

stiffleg said:
So I just started getting into cycling, i've been riding my dads vintage faggin. He wants to take me to Hotter in Hell, which is in roughly 2 weeks from now. I'll only be doing the 65 miles.
please rephrase, you mean: i'll be doing 65 friggginnn miles !!!!

i forgot to add, i'm a girl. please help!
are the Giant Defy's or Trekk 1.1 better than these?

stiffleg said:
i forgot to add, i'm a girl. please help! are the Giant Defy's or Trekk 1.1 better than these?
They're different. The biggest differences in quality are generally between bikes of differing price points (generally true but not always. There does come a price after which the buyer sees diminishing returns), so in the range of bikes you've mentioned, similar prices will get you similar quality. The important differences are in how the bike fits, feels on the road, handles, and appeals to you; and all but one of those require a test ride to determine. There is very little quality difference between bike manufacturers like Cannondale, Orbea, Trek, and Giant.

thank you sir, this is the answer i was looking for.

I'm going to test ride em today with my pops, see what fits the best.