First Bike Purchase

mbes

Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys,
I'm posting this b/c i need help finding a new bike. I've been riding on my Dad's old Centurion Lemans RS (1987), and really need an upgrade b/c of problems with shifting and other complication that come with age.

I'm looking for a road comp bike, preferably an aero design.
My price range (being that I'm still in high school) is a $1,500 hard cap, although i'd really like to find something thats under $1,250 (so i have some extra cash for upgrading parts)

Given my price range, i'm really just looking for somewhere that i can buy an used, refurbished (?), or just an old model that some store still carries. I realize I'm also probably going to get bikes that are a couple years old, which i'm totally fine with.-

I'm just looking for bike names, link to websites, and just some advice: Should i buy at one of my LBS? (Theres heaps around here cause I'm on the coast of CA), or should i look online?

I've been browsing craigslist but b/c of my limited knowledge i really cant tell if any of them are worth it.
I've also been looking at the Pinarello Outlet store online and i've seen some pretty nice deals, just i'm unsure exactly whats included in the deals.

Thanks.
(I'm 6,0 150lbs for sizing btw - I think that puts me in the 54-59cm range)

How are you set up for repair and maintenance? Nothing wrong with putting a used bike to work, but you may want to make sure you have some tools and know how handy.

From a layman's opinion if this is worth it - brand new is the best all the time. First off, it comes with a guarantee for a certain period (over here the guarantee is 3 months but there are embedded conditions like accidents are not covered). Secondly, a new bike is like a car that is of a new model and a new model means enhanced design. And again like a car, a new bike is not susceptible to breakdowns. What I do not want in a second hand bike is the experience - what if that bike brings bad luck that it had figured in so many accidents?