First Bike

Sheresh

Mar 31, 2010
Ok so I have not had a bicycle since I was like 8 years old which was well over 10 years ago. I am looking to get another one now as summer comes around. Anyways I am looking for a good cross between road and mountain. I will primarily be using this for commuting to and from work which is about 3-5 miles from where I live, and just as an around town/recreational bike as I live in a very bicycle friendly city (Boulder, Colorado). It will primarily be used on the road but I would like to be able to take it out on some dirt trails, probably something you could push a stroller on.

I was looking at the TREK 7.1 FX but before I purchase anything since I know zilch about bikes in general now, I was curious if anyone knew of anything better suited for my needs? I am willing to spend no more then $500 MAX.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Suggest you consider a cyclocross bike (like a slightly sturdier road bike which can be fitted with wider tires for off-road/dirt road use). For $500 you should be able to pick up a good used one on eBay. First visit your LBS and figure out what frame size fits you. Then check out some of the bikes listed for sale on eBay at the link below. (I limited the search to complete used bikes selling for $600 or less.)

cyclocross used, Road Bikes, Aluminum. Great deals on eBay!