First century on a road bike.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Did Hull - Pickering- Hull yesterday, 101 miles. Absolutely awful, 14%
    climbs, heat, black flies covering sweaty limbs and at 66 miles on top of a
    600 ft hill, my pedal snapped in half. Limped back to Malton to try and
    catch a train but there wasn't one for ages, so some "helpful" bike shop put
    some new pedals on meaning I had to ride back over the 14% climbs again
    :-( Will write a story when the photos come back FWIW.

    --
    Simon M.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > at 66 miles on
    > top of a 600 ft hill, my pedal snapped in half.

    Wow! Which brand/model?

  3. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Well done Simon. Please name & shame the pedal. Did its failure cause you to crash ?

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    > > at 66 miles on
    > > top of a 600 ft hill, my pedal snapped in half.

    > Wow! Which brand/model?

    This one

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360006647

    It snapped clean through between the toe clip strap hole at the left and the
    LHS cross head screw.

    The people at the bike shop were great, they put on a set they had knocking
    around in the back of the shop and wouldn't take more than a fiver, so I
    bought some energy bars for 3 quid and gave them a tenner.

    --
    Simon M.

  5. > This one

    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360006647
    >
    > It snapped clean through between the toe clip strap hole at the left and

    the
    > LHS cross head screw.
    >
    > The people at the bike shop were great, they put on a set they had

    knocking
    > around in the back of the shop and wouldn't take more than a fiver, so I
    > bought some energy bars for 3 quid and gave them a tenner.
    >
    > --
    > Simon M.

    I was going to buy a set of those, but opted for a set of more expensive
    Shimano pedals.

    I'm glad I didn't get them now.!

    Well done btw. :)

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Simon Mason wrote:
    >>
    >>> at 66 miles on
    >>> top of a 600 ft hill, my pedal snapped in half.

    >> Wow! Which brand/model?

    > This one
    >
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360006647
    >
    > It snapped clean through between the toe clip strap hole at the left
    > and the LHS cross head screw.
    >
    > The people at the bike shop were great, they put on a set they had
    > knocking around in the back of the shop and wouldn't take more than a
    > fiver, so I bought some energy bars for 3 quid and gave them a tenner.

    Simon,

    I hate to tell you this; I think your bike is jinxed. First the wheels, now
    the pedals, what next?.

  8. > The people at the bike shop were great, they put on a set they had
    > knocking around in the back of the shop and wouldn't take more than a
    > fiver, so I bought some energy bars for 3 quid and gave them a tenner.

    You going to 'name & fame' them?

  9. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Simon Mason typed:
    > Did Hull - Pickering- Hull yesterday, 101 miles.

    Heheheh, bitch of a road .. ;)

    > Absolutely awful, 14%
    > climbs, heat, black flies covering sweaty limbs and at 66 miles on top of
    > a 600 ft hill, my pedal snapped in half. Limped back to Malton to try and
    > catch a train but there wasn't one for ages, so some "helpful" bike shop

    Which shop ? I think praise needs apportioning to this type of shop ...

    > put some new pedals on meaning I had to ride back over the 14% climbs
    > again

    Heheheh, yeah, go somewhere, then have to come back, what a bugger .. ;)

    > :-( Will write a story when the photos come back FWIW.

    Nice one .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Which shop ? I think praise needs apportioning to this type of shop ...

    I took a photo of the shop which will be in the story.

    --
    Simon M.

  12. Well done. Sorry to hear it didn't all go to plan. Makes it even more of
    an achievement.

    Ian