First Century Saturday 8/13/05 (U.L.C.E.R.)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Lonnie Utah, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

So my riding buddies talked me into it. Saturday's the day. I know the mileage is there. I did a 75 miler, about 2.5 weeks ago and 5-6 approx 50 milers including last weekend. All of these were solo efforts. Based on this, I feel I've gotten the miles in, so I'm not really worried about that. What worries me is the logistics. I know that there's a ton of info here, and I've used the search feature to find alot of good info. Mainly keep eating and drinking. What else do I need to take along with me? I've heard ibuprofin, calcium carbonate tabs (tums), etc. What are the "must haves you folks take on rides of this distance? This will be a big group ride (read supported/rest/aid stations) so I should have plenty of folks to share the work with. I'll be happy with anytime under 6 hours (17 mph), although I expect it will be closer to 5.5....

Any other advice welcomed. Here's to hoping for a day with no wind...;)
    Lonnie

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Sunscreen, chapstick, chamois creme, and a camera. If this is a supported ride, then they should pretty much have everything else available unless you have some special needs. Have fun and good luck.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Good advice from frenchyge. I'd only add to stay within a comfortable pace and don't worry about your 6 hr goal time too much. That's a fast time for a first century. If you finish strong, don't suffer too much, and enjoy the event, that's the main thing since then you'll want to do more and improve.

Also, it wouldn't be unusual if you hit a low-energy spot somewhere around 80 miles. Or, you might get some saddle, lower back, hand or foot pain. Most of this stuff will go away in a few miles if you just relax. Oh, and don't forget to renew the chamois lube if you feel any indication of chaffing...can't have too much of that stuff on your first 100 miler. Remember to enjoy the event with your buddies...that's the goal.

4. jitmo

jitmo New Member

Congrats! If you've done a half a dozen 50 milers and a 75 within the last 6-8 weeks, sounds like it'll be no problem. Just take your time and have fun with friends. Camera is a good idea, i always forget mine. Go easy at first. Resist the urge to go hard from the first 25 miles. Take breaks even if you don't feel you need them. I have rode a century where i stopped twice. I do feel better if i stop every 20 miles or so to stretch and walk a bit. It's amazing how quickly these "stages" fly by. Enjoy, and let us know how it went. I have one scheduled in late Sept, and i'm anxious. I will do a solo effort before that i'm sure. Also, as your 75 miler reminds me, personally i feel 75 miles solo is alot tougher than a 100 mile group. Fun factor and excitement/motivation.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Hey Lonnie,
    I read a post like yours and think, "What am I missing?" On 8/20, I am doing my first century (Cool Breeze) since I started riding again in March, but I'm literally not taking a single thing more than I take on a routine 60-mile training ride on the weekend: 2 tubes, 2 CO2 bottles, tire replacement tools, chain repair tool, chain link, cleat protectors, chapstick, Endurolyte tablets, 2 water bottles, 1 banana & 1 fig bar, cell phone, money & credit card. About the only thing I plan to do differently is check the batteries in my powermeter.

Now, pacing is another matter. I have given that some thought and have looked at my training files to find my maximum TSS on a single day in the last couple of weeks (~250 TSS). That was a 68-mile ride and my average pace was ~190w. I don't want the century to be too much more than 300 TSS points, so I'll back off the pace on the flats to ~175w and ~250w on the climbs. I'll probably stop at most of the stops, in part just to check them out for future reference. Anyway, walking around for 5 minutes before getting back on the bike does a world of good.

Strangely, the biggest issue I am wrestling with is whether to get an iPod Shuffle (the 1GB model for $129) and load up some tunes -- I'm a classic rock man myself. I don't know what to do about headphones -- one in each ear that lets in outside noise or one in only the right ear that blocks outside noise?

I still feel like I'm missing something, but isn't it just a long training ride?

Good luck on your ride and enjoy it. I hope you have good wx.

6. li rider

li rider New Member

Glad to read these posts. I'm trying my first century on 9/25. having done the longer rides yet, but have been doing 15-20 miles daily and longer on sundays (up to 43 miles so far, adding 10% each week)

My "plan" is to stop 3 times at the 25 mile rest stops to stretch and graze. I'll carry my usual 2 water botles, 1 bottle of energy drink, (with powder to refill at each break), some cliff bars and raisins (my snack of choice while riding), plus my usual bag with tubes, CO2 cartridges, etc. Cellphone and cash are a must.

I would not go for the I pod (even 1 ear) I find sound to be very important in detecting cars behind me and would not want to lessen that at all.

Good luck and please report back

7. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

Just walked back in. Distance 106 miles. Ride time 5:30 Total time 7:00 hours. The damndest thing happened. We litterly had a head wind almost the way. Curses!

It was really "fun" and easier than I expected. I actually did a fair amount of work at the front. A couple of the guys I rode with were kinda hammered at the end. I had hoped to have my total time a bit less, but I had several mechanical issues. I had no less that 4 flats and bent my rear rim:mad: Thank goodness for the support folks, they saved me. I found the dent in my rear rim when I flatted the last time right before lunch. This kinda screwed my rear brakes as they started rubbing. (No wonder I could only make 16 between there and the lunch stop. The techs trued my wheel the best they could, and loosened my rear breaks and sent me on my way. (They advised the guy infront of me to quit he broke a spoke and they couldn't true his wheel enough...)

Another bummer was I had a hard time eating. EVERY time I stopped I felt just a wee bit nauseas and didn't want to eat. My only real solid food was a cookie at 78 miles. I "ate" 1 gel pack about 40 miles. I drank 2 bottles of gatorade and had a snowcone and a couple of small cokes and a fair amount of water. That's was it for the food intake. I just kept waiting to bonk but it never came. I was really surprised.

The two "funny" things that happened were at about mile 50-60 I lost a water bottle crossing a cattle guard. I doubled back to get it knowing I would lose the pretty fast group I was with. Within the next 10 minutes, I started really felt weak, ran off the road in some nasty rocks/cobble (this could have been where I bent my rim (or it could have been the giant pot hole that somebody didn't call out :mad: ), and got stung by a bee. Needless to say, I was really glad to make it to the rest station...

The other funny thing was is we were at about mile 85-90 and this dude on a TT bike (who we found out later was not in the event) comes flying by us. I guess we were doing 20-21mph at the time. He must have been doing close to 28-30. My buddy says to me "Go get him Lonnie!" And I did. I (and another guy who was riding with us) rode right up to his rear wheel. I was REALLY stoked about that. I knew there was no way we could sustain that pace, but I did ride across. We fell back to the others, and he gapped up by a couple hundred meters where the distance kinda stabilized. We talked about it on the way in and figured he had sandbagged and really lifted the pace when he came by us. He was playing game with us. I just wish he would have turned around when we were 3 feet off his back wheel....

Well that's the highlights. Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait till next year...

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Great report, but now you've really got me worried about my first century next week (4 flats, bee sting, off the road, lost water bottle, bent rim ... whoa!). Well, at least you didn't hit a moose. Good ride -- pretty fast.

9. li rider

li rider New Member

Lonnie;

sounds like a great ride, with all the problems. of all of them, the wind sounds like the worst. I'm amazed at how little you ate.

I was hoping to do 6:30 riding, 7 total, but seing you made the speed, I may try to go slightly faster.

10. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I would urge you not to ride faster just because someone else did for your first century... Of course, I wouldn't discourage you from riding faster if it feels ok and you hook up with a group at the right pace.

Personally, my first century (which won't be until next year) the obective will be to finish. Anything else is a bonus.

It is nice to hear about someone who completed the ride, even with some obstacles along the way...

11. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

I kinda agree with this. I happened to be in a really fast group until I flatted the first time (just before the rest stop). We blew by the first couple of stops and when I rolled into my first rest stop at mile 40, my avg was 21 mph. This includes tooling around the first 3-4 miles getting out of town. Just go at a pace the feels sustainable and don't worry about time.

On a side note I felt really good today. No soreness at all. Truthfully, I feel better today that I did last Sunday after my solo 50. My stomach was still a little queasy all last night, but fine today. I don't know if it was related to my ride or not. Also, the LBS told me they didn't think my rim was terminal. They are going to do a better true job and told me to watch it for the next few weeks. I hoping to get a new bike this fall/spring so I don't want to drop a lot of cash on my current ride.

L