first century

jmax24

Jan 30, 2005
Well I completed my first century Saturday,the 3 state 3 mountain challenge in Chattanooga ,Tenn.It wasn't too bad until the 75 mile mark and I started feelin very nauseated and internally hot.It was 65 miles father than I had ever ridden before.I ate and drank constantly during the ride but evidently not enough:) The last 25 miles were kinda like a dream everything kinda fuzzy around the edges.All in all a 1 of a kind experience.

roadhog

Feb 13, 2005
jmax24 said:
Well I completed my first century Saturday,the 3 state 3 mountain challenge in Chattanooga ,Tenn.It wasn't too bad until the 75 mile mark and I started feelin very nauseated and internally hot.It was 65 miles father than I had ever ridden before.I ate and drank constantly during the ride but evidently not enough:) The last 25 miles were kinda like a dream everything kinda fuzzy around the edges.All in all a 1 of a kind experience.
Congrats! Wow, 65 miles more than your longest ride? That's a huge jump. I hope you expected to feel like dog **** going into it. ;) Good accomplishment though, all the more so for the pain and mileage jump. Makes for better stories anyway... I'm sure it took some determination...

2ndyearneophyte

Apr 25, 2005
Hey, Congratulations, I just completed my first Century (2nd attempt) this weekend as well (NJ Farmlands Tour). I also hit a wall at 75 miles, but thankfully one of my friends let me ride his back wheel for the last 25, which made a huge difference. I am not sure if you have any medical problems, but I am known to friends as "The Medical Mystery Man". I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 7, and diagnosed with brain cancer 5 years ago. I have had 2 brain surgeries, and am currently in my tenth (and final) round of chemotherapy. I spent the whole day feeling like I was going to puke. My first attempt at the century was last year's LAF Ride For The Roses, where at mile 75 I was crying for my mommy, as I couldn't battle the heat AND the headwinds. Anyhow, my advice if you want to do a few more Centuries, is eat a lot of carbs the night before and the AM of the ride, and keep drinking the whole way. Also, take advantage of any rest stops offered, just to get out of the saddle and grab some food. My blood sugar was dropping like a brick at mile 55, and it was another 25 miles to the next rest area, so I ate the 5 Powerbars I had in my jersey, and battled on. If anyone would like to donate to my LAF Peloton Project for this year, you can donate via credit card at the following secure site. This year I am determined to complete the 100 mile RFTR, and am looking to raise as much $$ as possible, for a great cause, named after a great inspiration to us all:
https://secure.laf.org/Donations/Donate_amount.cfm?sid=200085684

Thanks guys, LIVESTRONG,

John

jmax24

Jan 30, 2005
congratulations and personal wishes for a complete recovery:) I dont' have any medical conditions,I just haven't been riding very long(started feb 2005).I ate like a horse prior and during and stopped at every stop,there was about 6500' of climbing and I think that might have done it.I was a heavy smoker and quit 10-27-04,went on a diet and started walking.I've lost about 40 pounds and every weekend I've tried to do something diffrent.So far i've done mtb race in columbia ,tenn,a triathlon in scottsboro,al and a crit in anniston,al and the above century.I have a 5k run this sat and the next weekend I think i'll try a tt and road race in tenn.I am doing things at age 35 that I didn't do at 21.I never thought I would love doing anything as much as I love cycling.I try to encourage everyone to give it a whirl.It's the greatest thing since frozen pizza.

Mansmind

Aug 3, 2004
jmax24 said:
congratulations and personal wishes for a complete recovery:) I dont' have any medical conditions,I just haven't been riding very long(started feb 2005).I ate like a horse prior and during and stopped at every stop,there was about 6500' of climbing and I think that might have done it.I was a heavy smoker and quit 10-27-04,went on a diet and started walking.I've lost about 40 pounds and every weekend I've tried to do something diffrent.So far i've done mtb race in columbia ,tenn,a triathlon in scottsboro,al and a crit in anniston,al and the above century.I have a 5k run this sat and the next weekend I think i'll try a tt and road race in tenn.I am doing things at age 35 that I didn't do at 21.I never thought I would love doing anything as much as I love cycling.I try to encourage everyone to give it a whirl.It's the greatest thing since frozen pizza.
My story is similar to yours except for all the triathlons! ( I hate to run ) I can't imagine just picking up on all the stuff you're doing so quickly. I just sort of picked a bike and stuck with it. Sounds like you're doing great.

bikeguy

May 31, 2004
It wasn't too bad until the 75 mile mark and I started feelin very nauseated and internally hot.It was 65 miles father than I had ever ridden before.

Congrats on your first century and after only riding 35 miles before. In my case, I don't get hot or nauseated but my legs do go dead. I only managed about 94 miles though in a group ride.. the other guys told me to go into the van after I slowed down to 26 km/hr after riding at 33 km/hr avg. Couldn't keep pace with the group.

Yesterday I did 70 km solo at 35 km/hr and I'm sore, again, but not as badly this time. I hate riding in 13 degrees C weather.

-Bikeguy

tonkoch

Feb 13, 2005
jmax24 said:
High Fives! I just did my first metric century and first full century eight days apart. Almost puked the last 25 of the full century as well. Gotta figure out the nutrition part.
Nice job to ya.
Tony

tehpr3chr

Jul 29, 2004
wow! 43.5 miles at around 21.5 mph is pretty nice solo! at least for me it would be :)...i have been riding about 5 days a week, with my simpliest rides being 16.5-20 miles with quite a bit of climbing, and i just added in this week a loop that's about 35 miles. It has climbing, flats, rolling hills, ect...I averaged 18.06mph on the long loop two days ago, and yesterday averaged about 17.75 on the 16.75 miles i did...not anything amazing, but i'm still building...heck, this time last year i was averaging 12.5 mph on a 20 mile loop, so i think i've gotten much much better. my goal this year is to complete the blood, sweat, and gears 100 mile ride/race(who cares about the race, i'm there for the ride) in boone, NC, the covington century in covington, GA, The six gap century in dahlonega, GA, and possibly the bridge to bridge ride in NC...only problem w/ the btb is that it's the weekend after six gap...dunno if i can handle that kinda torture two weekends in a row...and congrats on completing your first century!!! the farthest i've been so far is 68 miles, which was last october at the brawl in cornelia, ga....

Mansmind

Aug 3, 2004
tehpr3chr said:
wow! 43.5 miles at around 21.5 mph is pretty nice solo! at least for me it would be :)...i have been riding about 5 days a week, with my simpliest rides being 16.5-20 miles with quite a bit of climbing, and i just added in this week a loop that's about 35 miles. It has climbing, flats, rolling hills, ect...I averaged 18.06mph on the long loop two days ago, and yesterday averaged about 17.75 on the 16.75 miles i did...not anything amazing, but i'm still building...heck, this time last year i was averaging 12.5 mph on a 20 mile loop, so i think i've gotten much much better. my goal this year is to complete the blood, sweat, and gears 100 mile ride/race(who cares about the race, i'm there for the ride) in boone, NC, the covington century in covington, GA, The six gap century in dahlonega, GA, and possibly the bridge to bridge ride in NC...only problem w/ the btb is that it's the weekend after six gap...dunno if i can handle that kinda torture two weekends in a row...and congrats on completing your first century!!! the farthest i've been so far is 68 miles, which was last october at the brawl in cornelia, ga....

I'm planning on doing the 6 gap century this year also...it's a brute from what I understand. I've ridden part of it already, although it's been a long time. In fact, when I DID do it I had no business being there, took a lot out of me.

What are you talking about in Cornelia, GA? I ride Old Cornelia Road north of Gainesville quite a bit.

tehpr3chr

Jul 29, 2004
Mansmind said:
I'm planning on doing the 6 gap century this year also...it's a brute from what I understand. I've ridden part of it already, although it's been a long time. In fact, when I DID do it I had no business being there, took a lot out of me.

What are you talking about in Cornelia, GA? I ride Old Cornelia Road north of Gainesville quite a bit.
well there's a ride on tuesday nights in cornelia that meets near the big red apple that's a fast-paced ride...i'm not fast by any means, but rode w/ the "slower" guys and averaged about 19.5 mph last time, w/ the faster guys averaging around 21-22 mph....dunno where you are in comparison to that, but it's tons of fun...

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
Congratulations!

I am planning to try for my first century the last week of August (North Fork Century on the North Fork of Long Island) For me, its a recovery goal as I broke a hip in a bike crash last fall.

Having read all the other posts, I think I need to learn to eat and drink as much as I need to work up the endurance.

jmax24 said:

MCOSR

Nov 18, 2004
li rider said:
Congratulations!

I am planning to try for my first century the last week of August (North Fork Century on the North Fork of Long Island) For me, its a recovery goal as I broke a hip in a bike crash last fall.

Having read all the other posts, I think I need to learn to eat and drink as much as I need to work up the endurance.
I did my first century (actually a 139 mi cross Florida event) last month. My recommendation is the same as others. Also, I took endurolytes (2 before the ride & 2 during) to prevent cramping on a recommendation from a friend that races (I found them at the LBS). Above and beyond hydration eating often helped. I slapped a piece of a powerbar on my handlebar and would pick at it between support stops. It stuck well but after going through a few of them during the ride it was a bit of a mess to clean up at the end of the day.

Good luck!

tehpr3chr

Jul 29, 2004
MCOSR said:
I slapped a piece of a powerbar on my handlebar and would pick at it between support stops. It stuck well but after going through a few of them during the ride it was a bit of a mess to clean up at the end of the day.

Good luck!
that's kinda nasty, lol...bet it did make a mess!