First commute and mudguards

Simon Galgut

Guest
On two not entirely unconnected topics:

Finally got round to the first commute yesterday. The weather girl had been promising a lovely day
on Thursday for about a week and it's light enough in the morning not to need lights so Thursday was
'the day'. It was only half a commute really as I drove the Landy with Zep strapped to the back
halfway(ish), parked up and rode the last 12 miles. Completely uneventful as it turned out - no
morons in cages trying to squash me and lovely weather as promised. Got to work only a few minutes
later than normal - average speed 18mph. Coming back equally uneventful - only had to bang on the
side of one white van man and force my way through a 5mph headwind - average 17mph.

So next week the commute will become 1/3 Landy and 2/3 Zep. However, when biking today to a client
(only 18 miles and client likes a good laugh) I had to return in drizzle and the bike and I got a
bit mucky. This is not something I enjoy (except when its deliberate on the MB) so I need
suggestions for easily removeable mudguards, especially the rear. I don't like the look of MB ones
that clip to the seatpost and I do want to be able to very easily and quickly remove it. Has anyone
tried the SKS raceblades or have any better or similar suggestions ?

Regards Simon

I've just spent 2 months arsing around with mudguards for my road bike, Clearance problems and
finding the right type has meant me having to make my own by adapting a set of SKS ones. Good luck
to you, your gonna need it! ;-)

I too was out on Thursday - What a lovely day, A bit chilly in the wind, But after rain and frost
this winter it made me realise what all the car drivers are missing.

"Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On two not entirely unconnected topics:
>
> Finally got round to the first commute yesterday. The weather girl had
been
> promising a lovely day on Thursday for about a week and it's light enough
in
> the morning not to need lights so Thursday was 'the day'. It was only half
> commute really as I drove the Landy with Zep strapped to the back halfway(ish), parked up and rode
> the last 12 miles. Completely uneventful
as
> it turned out - no morons in cages trying to squash me and lovely weather
as
> promised. Got to work only a few minutes later than normal - average speed 18mph. Coming back
> equally uneventful - only had to bang on the side of one white van man and force my way through a
> 5mph headwind - average 17mph.
>
> So next week the commute will become 1/3 Landy and 2/3 Zep. However, when biking today to a client
> (only 18 miles and client likes a good laugh) I
had
> to return in drizzle and the bike and I got a bit mucky. This is not something I enjoy (except
> when its deliberate on the MB) so I need suggestions for easily removeable mudguards, especially
> the rear. I don't like the look of MB ones that clip to the seatpost and I do want to be
able
> to very easily and quickly remove it. Has anyone tried the SKS raceblades
or
> have any better or similar suggestions ?
>
> Regards Simon

Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote ...
> However, when biking today to a client (only 18 miles and client likes a good laugh) I
had
> to return in drizzle and the bike and I got a bit mucky. This is not something I enjoy (except
> when its deliberate on the MB) so I need suggestions for easily removeable mudguards, especially
> the rear. I don't like the look of MB ones that clip to the seatpost and I do want to be
able
> to very easily and quickly remove it. Has anyone tried the SKS raceblades
or
> have any better or similar suggestions ?

The new version of the Salmon mudguards, from www.cyclesdsalmon.com in France, are designed for
tight clearances and easy removal. The older version, as available from UK sources, is different.
The topic came up a couple or three months back, and someone ordered some. Google for the thread, or
post a question.

Andrew