first commute by bicycle

Adam Lea

Guest
Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
without the car. I live in north Horsham and work near Holmbury St Mary,
which is approx a 24 mile round trip. As I am not used to cycling long
distances I decided to cycle to Warnham station, get a train to Ockley and
then cycle the last 6 miles. It took me about an hour to get to work,
compared to the normal 20 minutes by car but hopefully I can improve on this
as my fitness improves. I have decided to try cycling to work once a week
and hopefully build up to eventually doing the whole distance by bike.

One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly because
the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was I got
rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

I currently have a mountain bike which is useful for getting up the hills
but doesn't have anywhere to fix luggage too. If I were to do this sort of
journey regularly would it be worth getting a road bike or a hybrid? For
people who regularly commute these distances does it become much easier with
time?

Adam

Adam Lea wrote:
> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
> without the car.

Excellent!

> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly because
> the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was I got
> rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

Yes. Ditch the backpack, get panniers on a rack. Fit smooth tires, not
nobbly ones, and pump up to the max allowable pressure; see how those
two adjustments feel. And, yes, a hybrid or touring will help more, as
they can come with mudguards, rack, smooth tires, dropped bars, as standard.

R.

Richard wrote:
> Adam Lea wrote:
> > Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
> > without the car.

> Excellent!
>
> > One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
> > because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly because
> > the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was I got
> > rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

> Yes. Ditch the backpack, get panniers on a rack. Fit smooth tires, not
> nobbly ones, and pump up to the max allowable pressure; see how those
> two adjustments feel. And, yes, a hybrid or touring will help more, as
> they can come with mudguards, rack, smooth tires, dropped bars, as standard.

Seconded. I used to do 16 moderately hilly miles each way which took
just under an hour. Panniers make it much better. Slick tyres are a
must. The MTB, if it has mounting points for a rack will be just fine
for now so there is no need to spend a fortune. Moving to a hybrid
won't save you much at all if you are already running slicks and have a
rack/mudguards.

Looking at the map and knowing the northern part of your commute, I'd
recommend, once you are up to riding the full distance, travelling in
once a week by car to take in changes of clothes etc. and riding with
as little weight as possible. So eventually look for a nice lightweight
tourer/audax bike, and maybe do one heavy commute per week (in on
Monday, home on Friday). Did I mention commute in bike gear and change
when you get there? Normally a good idea to get in, grab a coffee/other
drink, then wait for about ten mins to cool down before having a
shower/getting changed.

good luck, and enjoy. I used to love riding round there.

...d

"Richard richard at percival dot demon dot co dot tld for united kingdom"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
>> without the car.

> Excellent!
>
>> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
>> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly
>> because the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was
>> I got rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

> Yes. Ditch the backpack, get panniers on a rack. Fit smooth tires, not
> nobbly ones, and pump up to the max allowable pressure; see how those two
> adjustments feel. And, yes, a hybrid or touring will help more, as they
> can come with mudguards, rack, smooth tires, dropped bars, as standard.
>
> R.

All of the above sounds great but in the long term a light weight
electrically assisted bike will get the OP up hills without sweating. Also
very helpful for penetrating strong headwinds. Many of these bikes have
selectable levels of assistance.

My Giant Twist Comfort (C/W rack to attach my backpack to) makes commuting
6.5 miles each way (including a steep hill) a fun exercise to do daily and
its faster than catching the train and walking to/from the stations.

Paul

On 2006-03-31 22:03:21 +0100, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> said:

> Richard wrote:
>> Adam Lea wrote:
>>> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
>>> without the car.

>> Excellent!
>>
>>> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
>>> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly because
>>> the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was I got
>>> rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

Currently doing 11-12 miles each way most days, will be rising to
nearer 14-15 in near future. My tendancy is to catch train on monday
morning and friday night and take in all the clothing for the week, do
that so i can carry less the rest of the week. Would strongly recommend
looking at a road or cross bike, in either case with a set of slicks. I
am lucky in that work has showers so i can ride in in cycling kit have
a shower and get changed in to work clothes.

I hate mudguards they look ****, but they work and if you are going to
be riding in all weathers you will need them, it makes life so much
more pleasant.

I use a courier bag and it works for me, much prefer it to a rucksac.

Martin

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
> without the car. I live in north Horsham and work near Holmbury St Mary,
> which is approx a 24 mile round trip. As I am not used to cycling long
> distances I decided to cycle to Warnham station, get a train to Ockley and
> then cycle the last 6 miles. It took me about an hour to get to work,
> compared to the normal 20 minutes by car but hopefully I can improve on

this
> as my fitness improves. I have decided to try cycling to work once a week
> and hopefully build up to eventually doing the whole distance by bike.
>
> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly

because
> the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was I got
> rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.
>
> I currently have a mountain bike which is useful for getting up the hills
> but doesn't have anywhere to fix luggage too. If I were to do this sort of
> journey regularly would it be worth getting a road bike or a hybrid? For
> people who regularly commute these distances does it become much easier

with
> time?
>
> Adam

Congratulations Adam! I remember the huge thrill when I made my 1st 6 mile
commute and just road right through the busy town centre & didn't have to
fight for a parking space. My commute now is a lot longer & every day I do
it (which isn't every day) gives me a big thrill for not using the car.

I find this time of year is not the best for commuting as I have to wear
quite a few clothes to keep warm and like you I have quite a hilly section
to get over and do end up sweating quite a bit. Fortunately there are
showers at work so its not too bad but can be quite difficult getting the
clothes dry for the ride home. If you don't have showers, I find just a top
wash is fine. Also if I've got sweaty its a bit embarrassing being
surrounded by damp lycra at my desk - but my colleagues think I'm a freak
anyway;-) You may find it a bit more comfortable in the summer & less
clothes to worry about - although just cooling down can be a problem.

Certainly you will find it easier as you get fitter. In particular, once you
can manage your whole commute without getting shattered, try putting in
another ride each week of much higher intensity. Even 5 miles will do it but
this will soon improve your overall fitness and your commute will seem like
a breeze! Definitely chuck the knobbly tyres as far as you can. I'd say get
a light road bike with panniers although I get by with a rucksack - even
carrying my vast lunch box;-) and a laptop. You may want to get one with a
triple chainring like most MTBs Beware, a lot of road bikes have quite big
gears which is fine for racing but not a lot of fun when you slog up the
same hills just to get to work each day.

Cheers
Russell

Adam Lea wrote:

> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty,

Very bad. You want your luggage on the bike. A rack and a pair
of panniers is the usual solution. Or a single pannier when the
load is light.

and partly because
> the last mile involves around 70m of ascent.

Slow down as necessary for the uphill!

> Another problem was I got
> rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

Don't say you were without mudguards?

> I currently have a mountain bike which is useful for getting up the hills
> but doesn't have anywhere to fix luggage too. If I were to do this sort of
> journey regularly would it be worth getting a road bike or a hybrid?

A touring bike is ideal. It'll do the journey much faster than an MTB
and for less effort (you'll be surprised). You can get an adequate
tourer for about £300-500 - or of course much more for something
fancier.

A hybrid would be an improvement on the MTB, but will leave you with
14 miles feeling like a rather long way. Going the other way, something
intermediate between tourer and racer could be fun in good weather,
but a bit miserable in winter. But unless you definitely plan on
getting more than one new bike, go for the tourer.

> For
> people who regularly commute these distances does it become much easier with
> time?

Yes. And even more so with the right bike and panniers.

--
not me guv

in message <[email protected]>, Adam Lea
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to
> work without the car. I live in north Horsham and work near Holmbury St
> Mary, which is approx a 24 mile round trip. As I am not used to cycling
> long distances I decided to cycle to Warnham station, get a train to
> Ockley and then cycle the last 6 miles. It took me about an hour to get
> to work, compared to the normal 20 minutes by car but hopefully I can
> improve on this as my fitness improves. I have decided to try cycling
> to work once a week and hopefully build up to eventually doing the
> whole distance by bike.

I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute. You
ought to be able to do your 12 mile journey in 45 minutes (but perhaps
not on a mountain bike).

> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot
> partly because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty,

If what you have to carry will fit in a bar bag, that is a very
convenient way to carry stuff. Modern bar bag mounts click on an off the
bike very easily, and there's very little left on the bike.

> and
> partly because the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another
> problem was I got rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on
> country roads.
>
> I currently have a mountain bike which is useful for getting up the
> hills but doesn't have anywhere to fix luggage too.

The first thing is, if you haven't got slicks on, fit slicks. You will be
amazed how much difference this will make. Also, get your tyre pressure
above 60psi. The next thing is, if your suspension has lockout, lock it.
At this point, you've got a bike which is like an overweight, overtall,
undergeared road hybrid...

> If I were to do
> this sort of journey regularly would it be worth getting a road bike or
> a hybrid?

....so if you like it, a road hybrid will be a bit faster, a bit less
work, a good bit more responsive. A proper road bike, even more so.

> For people who regularly commute these distances does it
> become much easier with time?

Yes.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
Murphy ('[email protected]') wrote:

> All of the above sounds great but in the long term a light weight
> electrically assisted bike will get the OP up hills without sweating.
> Also very helpful for penetrating strong headwinds. Many of these bikes
> have selectable levels of assistance.

You are this: *mad*. Electrically assisted bikes are extremely heavy and
most have very poor aerodynamics. It will be substantially *slower* than
a proper road bike, and, in all likelihood, also more work. Certainly
the day the battery fails (as it will) it will be *substantially* more
work.

Electric-assist bikes are a poor solution looking for a non-existant
problem.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security tesm. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I currently have a mountain bike which is useful for getting up the hills
> but doesn't have anywhere to fix luggage too. If I were to do this sort of
> journey regularly would it be worth getting a road bike or a hybrid? For
> people who regularly commute these distances does it become much easier
> with time?

For my commute it isn't the distance that counts it is the hills. I wouldn't
fancy going up rusper road every morning.

I would recommend a road bike with a triple front derailleur .

Simon Brooke wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Paul
>Murphy ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> All of the above sounds great but in the long term a light weight
>> electrically assisted bike will get the OP up hills without sweating.

>You are this: *mad*. Electrically assisted bikes are extremely heavy and
>most have very poor aerodynamics.

>Electric-assist bikes are a poor solution looking for a non-existant
>problem.

Indeed. I thought at first that this was another of those Lirf-Loopa
ideas but apparently not, unless Paul has his system clock set wrongly
:)

Simon Brooke wrote:
> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan Holmes.

Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get in
the way?

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

in message <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

> Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan
> Holmes.
>
> Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get in
> the way?

Auchencairn to Dumfries, here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=279817&y=551384&z=5
to here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=296922&y=576340&z=5
along the A711, which is on the whole a well made road, and carries
relatively little traffic.

It's pretty flat: going, there's nothing above 20 metres for the first
eight miles, and then it rises very gradually to just over 100 metres
about 18 miles out and then downhill for the rest. Coming back in the
evening, the climb up the first three miles was a bit gruelling but
after that it was all easy. There's a traffic light at Craignair bridge,
and another couple at the Buccleuch bridge in Dumfries, and, as you say,
by urban standards very few cars.

I used a reasonable road bike - it's the same bike I still use as a
winter bike, and have used for audaxing - but 16mph wasn't particularly
hard (although I started using the bike to commute because I was trying
to get fit, so was perhaps pushing harder than just 'utility' cycling).

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

> Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan Holmes.
>
> Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get in
> the way?

I used to do a 30mile round trip commute into and across Cambridge and I
used to average around that speed or more depending on the wind
direction. Alan would do it in half my and Simon's time.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> Danny Colyer wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>>> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

>> Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan Holmes.
>>
>> Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get
>> in the way?
>>

> I used to do a 30mile round trip commute into and across Cambridge and I
> used to average around that speed or more depending on the wind
> direction. Alan would do it in half my and Simon's time.

I used to commute to Cambridge and back at about 20mph for 30 miles each
way - but most other parts of the world are a lot hillier!

I don't think 16mph is unreasonable but if the terrain is at all hilly
then the OP might take some time to get that fast, if he ever does (I
don't know the place names mentioned). We do about 12mph for 7 miles
each way these days - but that is fairly hilly and has a lot of traffic
lights, which I usually slow down for :)

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

"Richard richard at percival dot demon dot co dot tld for united kingdom"
wrote ...
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
>> without the car.

> Excellent!
>
>> One problem I had was that when I got to work I was sweating a lot partly
>> because I had a backpack and so my back was very sweaty, and partly
>> because the last mile involves around 70m of ascent. Another problem was
>> I got rather wet and muddy since my commute is entirely on country roads.

> Yes. Ditch the backpack, get panniers on a rack. Fit smooth tires, not
> nobbly ones, and pump up to the max allowable pressure; see how those two
> adjustments feel. And, yes, a hybrid or touring will help more, as they
> can come with mudguards, rack, smooth tires, dropped bars, as standard.
>
> R.

I agree with Richard on all counts. Mudguards, rack, slick tires and drop
bars will make the trip more pleasant and possibly faster. A set of good
lights will help if you continue cycle commuting into autumn and winter,
plenty of good advice and opinions on that subject to be found on this NG.

Backpacks make your back sweaty and make you top heavy. Panniers let your
bike do the load carrying, which is what you bought it for. This is an
excellent comuting pannier:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/commuter-bike-bags/bike-bureau.shtml.
HTH,
--
mark

Tony Raven wrote:
> Danny Colyer wrote:
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> >> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

> > Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan Holmes.
> >
> > Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get in
> > the way?
> >

> I used to do a 30mile round trip commute into and across Cambridge and I
> used to average around that speed or more depending on the wind
> direction. Alan would do it in half my and Simon's time.

I used to do a 16 mile commute in about 50-55 minutes. There was always
one killer hill that it took me a long time before I could ride up it
in one. I was on my current steed (MTB) but with heavy semi-slicks. It
did take about 2 hours in winter with the studded tyres through the
snow.

...d

Russell wrote:
> "Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>Yesterday I decided to investigate how feasible it was to travel to work
>>without the car. I live in north Horsham and work near Holmbury St Mary,
>>which is approx a 24 mile round trip.

> Congratulations Adam! I remember the huge thrill when I made my 1st 6 mile
> commute and just road right through the busy town centre & didn't have to
> fight for a parking space. ...
>
> I find this time of year is not the best for commuting as I have to wear
> quite a few clothes to keep warm and like you I have quite a hilly section
> to get over and do end up sweating quite a bit.

I think this is another argument for pannier over backpack. It's much
quicker to shed a layer and dump it in the pannier than to remove
backpack, remove clothing, insert in backpack, put backpack back on -
and potentially find backpack is no longer the same shape as your back.

Colin McKenzie

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:45:33 +0100,
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> I used to average 16mph when cycling a 42 mile round trip commute.

> Upon reading that, I had check whether it had been posted by Alan Holmes.
>
> Did you have the advantages of no traffic lights and few cars to get in
> the way?

When I cycle all the way to work (which I haven't done this year but
we're now close to there being enough daylight hours) I'm doing a similar
sort of distance with a similar average speed. Infact my average speed
into work is closer to 18mph. The thing that really kills it coming home
is getting out of London. (These are the averages from the GPS so
include time stopped at traffic lights etc)

In my previous job I would do a 16 mile round trip and I would be
disappointed if my average speed for the week was less than 20mph. I was
1-2mph slower on the Windcheetah. (for this commute I aimed not to stop
at all although I did have to slow down for some junctions and
roundabouts)

Tim.

and there was light.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Paul
>>Murphy ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> All of the above sounds great but in the long term a light weight
>>> electrically assisted bike will get the OP up hills without sweating.

>>You are this: *mad*. Electrically assisted bikes are extremely heavy and
>>most have very poor aerodynamics.

>>Electric-assist bikes are a poor solution looking for a non-existant
>>problem.

> Indeed. I thought at first that this was another of those Lirf-Loopa
> ideas but apparently not, unless Paul has his system clock set wrongly
> :)

Go on... you both know you want to agree with me and that the battery will
only fail if you fail to plan adequately.

Paul