First day as a bike courier

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by -, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
    here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
    and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

    Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
    'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
    enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

    Uuugh, the traffic! I know even less why people drive now. The jobs to
    Port Melbourne are a welcome relief from the CBD.

    But today's weather was nice.. Generally I have an appreciation for any
    kind of weather, and quite enjoy "bad" weather -- hot or cold or rainy;
    maybe windy I'm not so keen on, but I could learn to like it.. I hope.
    ...I hope my enjoyment of bad weather extends to courier work.. shall
    see.

    Mmm.. the car door wasn't so nice; a taxi passenger hopping out too
    quickly, me cycling down Little Collins.. DOOR! CRUNK! *CLATTER*! ouch,
    blood, hand, cut, arm, graze, shoulder, knee; oh good, bike is fine,
    I'll still be on time. I like that bike.

    A big dinner and big breakfast kept me going all day. No sugar; no
    coffee; no meat; no dairy. No wall.

    It was somewhat exhilarating.

    - mkli

    PS, The taxi passenger was considerate and made sure I was okay and
    sought out some bandaids for the cut. Said he couldn't believe he did
    that, considering it's an issue he is quite aware of. Mmm.. if you're
    reading this, a pizza could make it all better :)
    Or an olive loaf from that patisserie/café on the Lt Collins/Causeway
    corner; they are soooooo gooooood!

    PPS, Sorry for disjointedness awkwardness writing style. Tired, must
    sleep. Should sleep.
     
    Tags:


  2. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    0
    Shiza! NO COFFEE That sounds crazy to me!:eek:
    I hope the 'Fun-o-meter' stays hi with the new job:)
     
  3. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Messages:
    810
    Likes Received:
    0
    What's the rig?
    Slick shod MTB?
    Roadie?


    Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?
     
  4. dej

    dej Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
    > here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
    > and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.
    >
    > Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
    > 'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
    > enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.


    What kinda cash do you make for those stats (15 jobs a day etc)
    changes here at work may mean i'll be lookin for a new job soon
     
  5. pase

    pase New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
    who's your courier company?
     
  6. Guest

    dej <[email protected]@@h0tma1l.com> wrote:
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
    >> here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
    >> and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.
    >>
    >> Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
    >> 'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
    >> enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

    >
    > What kinda cash do you make for those stats (15 jobs a day etc)
    > changes here at work may mean i'll be lookin for a new job soon


    I'll find out when I get paid next week. Not too concerned at the
    moment; just happy I have something to do.

    It's contract work though, so it means time spent organising tax stuff,
    no employee benefits/security, and bike parts'll be wearing out more
    quickly. These past two days have been non-stop as one of their
    motorbikes has just gone on leave, so I don't know if this is the usual
    pace - if I need to get faster or if I needn't push myself so hard.

    I was told when I was signing the contract that we make about $100/day,
    though I don't know if that includes GST, etc.

    - mkli.
     
  7. Gags

    Gags Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
    > here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
    > and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.
    >


    Spill the beans.....what sort of bike are you running.......what's the
    salary like?? I have got a few months of long service leave
    owing.........might be an option to consider.

    Gags
     
  8. Guest

    pase <[email protected]> wrote:
    > what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
    > who's your courier company?


    Nothing, suprisingly; just that I like to ride and ride a lot. Perhaps
    that I called out of the blue had something to it, and since I'm just a
    contractor then what've they got to lose? If I'm too slow or then they can
    ditch me without notice, no reason required.

    I'm glad I'd been training myself up for it, making sure I ride every
    day and push myself while at it -- living out at Burwood helped, since
    to get to town it's hills and 20+ km, and friends all live in the
    Brunswick/Northcote area. If I hadn't been training at all then I'd've
    been buggered before lunch. (Actually.. what lunch?! There's pick-ups to
    do and deliveries to make!)

    Food consumption:
    2kg fruit (inc. plum tree for the gleaning nearby :)
    1 Loaf of bread
    1 phat calzone
    1 bowl of noodles
    6 pieces of toast with tahini, olive oil, vegemite, red laver seaweed.

    ..gotta eat some beans for bean protein..

    Companies to try (melbourne) could include: allied, cox, toll fast,
    rapid, blue circle, yellow (?), & just look in the yellow pages and try them.

    - mkli
     
  9. mkli

    mkli Guest

    Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?


    Ooh, they are nice. /Very/ handy especially when a car driver decides to
    abruptly pull out.

    The impact of pollution isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but the past
    days have had a sea breeze. Still, my lungs feel like they're a bit more
    clogged than usual.

    - mkli.
     
  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    Top effort! For basic training I'm planning a 'Tour de Cote' loop that takes in Ruckers Hill & possibly crossing the Moonee Valley. Short but should get me back after injury & other related convalescing.

    Back to courier stuff, ensure you keep up a consistent daily carbohydrate & liquid intake, and please keep an eye on your weight. If you're hungry, eat. And don't rely too much on coffee & alcohol to get you through (or over) the day. Ok that advice may not be scientific but it did originally come from a courier. One more point, not all receptionists have that 'door bitch' attitude. But some do. Ignore them, do the job & have fun. :)
     
  11. mkli

    mkli Guest

    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Back to courier stuff, ensure you keep up a consistent daily
    > carbohydrate & liquid intake, and please keep an eye on your weight. If
    > you're hungry, eat. And don't rely too much on coffee & alcohol to get
    > you through (or over) the day. Ok that advice may not be scientific but
    > it did originally come from a courier. One more point, not all
    > receptionists have that 'door bitch' attitude. But some do. Ignore
    > them, do the job & have fun. :)


    Morning and evening I load myself up with good food, plus start nibbling
    on bread early-mid afternoon when my stomach starts hinting.

    Energy starts to fade a little in the afternoon, but still feeling
    alert. (But not alarmed. ..sorry;)

    Probably eating some fruit throughout the day would help a bit.

    Coffee and alcohol aren't things I do; 'though the sensory experiences
    of consuming them can be great, caffeine and ethanol don't have much
    appeal.

    For some reason idiotic driving doesn't piss me off the way it used to;
    too busy trying to get somewhere to let it bother me. But I'm now more
    aware of it than ever. Hmm.. Just have fun -- that's the way.

    -mkli
     
  12. chad

    chad Guest

    Welcome to the riff raff.

    I've been a pushi in town for too long. Up to 8 years now. Not on today
    and don't like the heat. Drink a fair bit today but most of the heat comes
    late in the day. Soon each day will be esier and you will find most days
    don't faze you.

    You will need to pick up on the job count though to make decent money. You
    will get faster and most importantly get the better jobs the more you work
    and longer you are there. The industry has changed a lot over the years and
    its definately more laid back and less urgent.

    Just rember its not worth getting yourself killed over a $3 job. Drop into
    440 collins where we all hang and say hi. Who are you working for??

    And I wouldn't recomend Cox, rapid or even blue circle as companies to work
    for.

    Chad
    #215


    "mkli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?

    >
    > Ooh, they are nice. /Very/ handy especially when a car driver decides to
    > abruptly pull out.
    >
    > The impact of pollution isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but the past
    > days have had a sea breeze. Still, my lungs feel like they're a bit more
    > clogged than usual.
    >
    > - mkli.
     
  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-07, <[email protected]> (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > pase <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
    >> who's your courier company?

    >
    > Nothing, suprisingly; just that I like to ride and ride a lot. Perhaps
    > that I called out of the blue had something to it, and since I'm just a
    > contractor then what've they got to lose? If I'm too slow or then they can
    > ditch me without notice, no reason required.


    Was it hippy[1] who was saying they rocked up to an interview where
    everyone else was wearing a suit, and he was wearing cycling clothes?
    And he was worried he wouldn't get the job because he was not dressed
    up? Well, it turned out he was the one to get the job. You have to
    be a cyclist, not a suit, to be any good at couriering.

    [1] Don't think it was hippy, come to think of it. Dunno who it
    was...

    --
    TimC
    We don't need no education
    We don't need no thought control
    -- Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall
     
  14. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:
    >
    > Was it hippy[1] who was saying they rocked up to an interview where
    > everyone else was wearing a suit, and he was wearing cycling clothes?
    > And he was worried he wouldn't get the job because he was not dressed
    > up? Well, it turned out he was the one to get the job. You have to
    > be a cyclist, not a suit, to be any good at couriering.
    >
    > [1] Don't think it was hippy, come to think of it. Dunno who it
    > was...
    >


    That was me, first job I ever had.

    daveB
     
  15. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Messages:
    919
    Likes Received:
    1
    well it aint rocket science.....
     
Loading...
Loading...