First decent ride... and a small question..

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by molab, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. molab

    molab Guest

    Well, today I decided to take the uni for a walk to the new M7... it is
    a 40km freeway with a bike/walk track the whole distance...
    I got on the uni and spent a few minutes trying to readjust and get my
    balance, then I decided to give it a go and let go of the railing, went
    about 120m before it was too steep uphill to continue going... It's
    only been a week but I'm fairly proud of my newfound skills.
    I must admit that I'm also surprised with peoples reception of it.
    I have never gotten so much admiration from bike riders, I'm sure they
    can understand the difficulty...
    Also, I know I'm a big guy(6'3'' 85kgs) and as I ride and put all my
    weight on the seat I can hear some noise from the spokes, as if it's
    buckling... Is it just adjusting becuase it's brand new? Or am I
    damaging it?
    Thanks again...

    --
    molab
    molab's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11474

  2. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

    nice work, but yeah, with new unicycles, they have to be " broken in "
    the spokes have to be worn in, and for the spokes to be worn in,
    sometimes they adapt a clicking kind of noise, and the spokes become a
    bit loose. You can take your uni to the local bike shop and get them to
    tighten them (it will only take them about half an hour.

    Or it could be the cranks, they make a clicking noise if they r loose,
    tighten them straight away if it is the cranks! If it isnt the cranks
    then tighten the pedals up to maximum tightness. But apart from those
    things, the only other thing that could be making a noise on the uni
    that i can think of at the moment, is the seat, but wen u tighten the
    screws under the seat, be careful not to overtighten them, or otherwise
    the hats on the screws will tear off. So just tighten them to a little
    bit ova hand strength!

    I hope this helps :)

    --
    trials2k

    Live and Die on a uni;) **
    trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    molab wrote:
    > Also, I know I'm a big guy(6'3'' 85kgs) and as I ride and put all my
    > weight on the seat I can hear some noise from the spokes, as if it's
    > buckling... Is it just adjusting becuase it's brand new? Or am I
    > damaging it?
    > Thanks again...

    It's just adjusting cause the wheel is new.
    Machine built wheels and some hand made wheels will creak when new.
    The creak is the spokes adjusting under tension and evening out any
    twist that they have. The creaking can also be due to the spokes
    rubbing against each other. You can get rid of that noise by putting a
    little drop of oil or a little bit of grease where the spokes cross
    each other. The noises will go away as the wheel settles in.

    Machine built wheels are not tensioned enough. The stock unicycle
    wheels are machine built. The loose spokes will make noise and loose
    spokes also affect the strength of the wheel. If you're a big person
    or if you're going to be riding the unicycle hard it is a good idea to
    take a new wheel to a bike shop and have them hand tension all of the
    spokes. It will make the wheel quieter and make the wheel stronger.

    A properly built hand built wheel should be rock solid and not make any
    noise. The spokes will all be very tight, tight enough that you can
    pluck them and they make a nice pling sound. A properly made wheel
    will also be stress relived by the wheel builder. Stress relieving
    will even out the spoke twist on all of the spokes so they won't make
    noise when you first ride the new wheel.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  4. harper

    harper Guest

    molab wrote:

    > Also, I know I'm a big guy(6'3'' 85kgs) and as I ride and put all my
    > weight on the seat I can hear some noise from the spokes, as if it's
    > buckling.

    First of all, you can't write "6'3'' 85kgs" in the same phrase. It's
    too baffling. Trials2k and JC are right, the spokes like to rub at
    their contact points and creak. Welcome to the fora and congrats on
    your ride.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:57:20 -0600, harper wrote:

    >First of all, you can't write "6'3'' 85kgs" in the same phrase. It's
    >too baffling.

    Hi molab, harper is one of our main characters here. His utterances
    usually have to be taken in a particular mood, but harper has a
    particularly wide spectrum of moods and it takes some experience to
    pick the right one. You'll get there soon enough though.

    Hi harper...

  6. matty_porter

    matty_porter Guest