First effort of training - help needed

monkeymagic

Jul 23, 2007
Hi all, well this is my first post to the forum and seems to be the next logical step in this insanely addictive sport!

Basically I'm after some advice regarding what to eat/how to train etc. In a nutshell I am training for a 100k ride for which I'd like to maintain a speed of around 30 km/h. Mild inclines but no crazy mountains. Ride is in October.

I've only started riding in January when I quit smoking to kerb nicotine cravings and since then have become increasingly addicted (to the cycling that is - no more cigarettes). Only recently (in the last 2 months) have I started to ride approx 3-4 hours a week and I'm looking to ramp it up over time.

My diet isn't too bad - porridge/cereals/toast for breakfast, small snacking (a biscuits here and there), lunch and dinner usually is a rice/meat/vegie dish of sorts. oh and a glass of red :)

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me on how I should be training .. Oh, also (again, thank you cigarettes) after a gym asessment I found my Vo2 to be only 38 ... From reading the forums this figure means something to you all?

Thanks again!

monkeymagic said:
Hi all, well this is my first post to the forum and seems to be the next logical step in this insanely addictive sport!

Basically I'm after some advice regarding what to eat/how to train etc. In a nutshell I am training for a 100k ride for which I'd like to maintain a speed of around 30 km/h. Mild inclines but no crazy mountains. Ride is in October.

I've only started riding in January when I quit smoking to kerb nicotine cravings and since then have become increasingly addicted (to the cycling that is - no more cigarettes). Only recently (in the last 2 months) have I started to ride approx 3-4 hours a week and I'm looking to ramp it up over time.

My diet isn't too bad - porridge/cereals/toast for breakfast, small snacking (a biscuits here and there), lunch and dinner usually is a rice/meat/vegie dish of sorts. oh and a glass of red :)

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me on how I should be training .. Oh, also (again, thank you cigarettes) after a gym asessment I found my Vo2 to be only 38 ... From reading the forums this figure means something to you all?

Thanks again!
Many more hours on the bike. 3-4hrs/wk is not enough training to average 30km/hr on a 100km ride. Is that solo or in a group?

iliveonnitro said:
Many more hours on the bike. 3-4hrs/wk is not enough training to average 30km/hr on a 100km ride. Is that solo or in a group?
Thanks for the response... Well as I mentioned I'm going to up the ante and have done so in the past week to about 5 hours on the bikes at the gym and 3 on the road per week. It is a group ride. Time permitting I'd like to get to the road about 6 hours each weekend. From about mid september Id like to do 100km rides every weekend. How does that sound? (so much easier in theory :)

monkeymagic said:
Thanks for the response... Well as I mentioned I'm going to up the ante and have done so in the past week to about 5 hours on the bikes at the gym and 3 on the road per week. It is a group ride. Time permitting I'd like to get to the road about 6 hours each weekend. From about mid september Id like to do 100km rides every weekend. How does that sound? (so much easier in theory :)
i recommend a cycling book. At least take a step and go check out the cycling books at a book store, they were written by proffesional cyclists or trainers for the most part. I don't think you can get what you need on the forum too well. I got one as a gift and it is very helpful, take a look, you may find it to be very helpful too.

Jace1283 said:
i recommend a cycling book. At least take a step and go check out the cycling books at a book store, they were written by proffesional cyclists or trainers for the most part. I don't think you can get what you need on the forum too well. I got one as a gift and it is very helpful, take a look, you may find it to be very helpful too.
Will do tonight - is there any "bible" of cycling?

You sort of fell into this one...

Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. Carmichael's got some good books for beginners to get the concept of training and periodization. It probably wouldn't help you for this october ride.

Since the ride is so soon -- your best bet is to put it big rides through august, and september, with 1-2 days of rest a week. Don't ride a lot the week before your race.
ex.
4-5-6-4 hrs in August (each week)
6-7-7-6 hrs in Sept (each week)
Continue with 7hr/wk rides in October, making sure you leave a week before the event to recover (like 2 rides that week that aren't long).

iliveonnitro said:
You sort of fell into this one...

Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. Carmichael's got some good books for beginners to get the concept of training and periodization. It probably wouldn't help you for this october ride.

Since the ride is so soon -- your best bet is to put it big rides through august, and september, with 1-2 days of rest a week. Don't ride a lot the week before your race.
ex.
4-5-6-4 hrs in August (each week)
6-7-7-6 hrs in Sept (each week)
Continue with 7hr/wk rides in October, making sure you leave a week before the event to recover (like 2 rides that week that aren't long).
Thanks for that - will start this weekend! I was riding last night, then at about the 2 hour mark started to get really bad reflux... Physically I felt I had a lot more in me... I'm hoping the diet will make a big difference because its always that similar feeling that makes me stop.

Anyone ever experienced this?

monkeymagic said:
Thanks for that - will start this weekend! I was riding last night, then at about the 2 hour mark started to get really bad reflux... Physically I felt I had a lot more in me... I'm hoping the diet will make a big difference because its always that similar feeling that makes me stop.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Do you eat within an hour or two of riding? Do you eat/drink dairy beforehand?

Eat pasta and you will soon realize why it's every cyclist's favorite food.

iliveonnitro said:
Do you eat within an hour or two of riding? Do you eat/drink dairy beforehand?

Eat pasta and you will soon realize why it's every cyclist's favorite food.
Any excuse to eat more pasta is fine by me! :D I generally would snack within the hour before going for a ride - and typically it would be some crispbread or cheese or dairy thing .. I'll try not snacking for at least 2 hours before :)

monkeymagic said:
Any excuse to eat more pasta is fine by me! :D I generally would snack within the hour before going for a ride - and typically it would be some crispbread or cheese or dairy thing .. I'll try not snacking for at least 2 hours before :)
Wow! I stopped snacking a couple of hours before my ride and what a difference it made! Now I hit another barrier - but much further down the track - burning legs! At least I know how to fix this problem :) Thanks for all the advice!

Sounds like Around the Bay ride to me (100km ride)??

Your V02 of 38 is pretty bad but thats ok you are a reformed smoker so let you off lightly! ;)

You will **** this ride in. Try and tag along to some early morning bunch rides down beach rd too.

existence said:

Your V02 of 38 is pretty bad but thats ok you are a reformed smoker so let you off lightly! ;)
Don't take that number to heart. There isn't a way to accurately calculate VO2max unless you do an on-(your)-bike test hooked up to the correct machine.

I myself have just starting riding this spring and will be doing a century in August. I joined a club and learned a lot from more experienced riders. As for food I'm lucky I can pretty much eat anything jump on the bike and go. For longer rides make sure you take food to eat and lots of water. L Glutamine may help with the burning legs as it helps reduce the build up of lactic acid in your blood stream, it's worked great for me. I ride 8-16 hours per week depending on work and family. What I do for training is one hard ride a week either lots of hills or keep my HR above 148 for the whole ride, other days I cruise while mixing in intervals and hill climbing. One great piece of advice i got was listen to your body and it will tell all. That goes for what food it wants and how hard you can push on any given day, once you're on the bike you'll know if this is the day to push it.

existence said:

You will **** this ride in. Try and tag along to some early morning bunch rides down beach rd too.
Correct :) Hopefully next time I'll be at a point I can do the 250. I've just come back from the gym on the bikes and the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I have to get to a dinner! Amazing how such a simple piece of advice can make such a difference!

I'm planning to start going on beach rd, hopefully on an actual road bike. At the moment I have a hardtail Cannondale with Mavic road rims and tyres. It's quick enough and great for offroad but... well.. I dont have to explain why I need a road bike on this forum!

Are you going around the bay?

iliveonnitro said:
Don't take that number to heart. There isn't a way to accurately calculate VO2max unless you do an on-(your)-bike test hooked up to the correct machine.
I was holding a coversation at the time of the test also so I'm sure that wouldnt help. Oh and it was spat out by some computer on a bike that only took my heart rate. I have personal grudges against this machine now!

Will let you know how I go next time but feeling a LOT better now :)

monkeymagic said:
Are you going around the bay?
I tend not to fraternize with the general public. Plus I ride the east side fairly regularly so ATB doesn't hold much attraction to me but its probably not a bad way to meet some chicks?? ;)

With a little bit of training and a few bunch rides prior - you will smash that ride for sure. Have fun!

existence said:
I tend not to fraternize with the general public. Plus I ride the east side fairly regularly so ATB doesn't hold much attraction to me but its probably not a bad way to meet some chicks?? ;)

With a little bit of training and a few bunch rides prior - you will smash that ride for sure. Have fun!
Well I tend to enjoy riding with the general public... Whilst there is always someone faster I find the masses are generally slower. I enjoy my little obnoxious confidence boosters!

BigUgly said:
I myself have just starting riding this spring and will be doing a century in August. I joined a club and learned a lot from more experienced riders. As for food I'm lucky I can pretty much eat anything jump on the bike and go. For longer rides make sure you take food to eat and lots of water. L Glutamine may help with the burning legs as it helps reduce the build up of lactic acid in your blood stream, it's worked great for me. I ride 8-16 hours per week depending on work and family. What I do for training is one hard ride a week either lots of hills or keep my HR above 148 for the whole ride, other days I cruise while mixing in intervals and hill climbing. One great piece of advice i got was listen to your body and it will tell all. That goes for what food it wants and how hard you can push on any given day, once you're on the bike you'll know if this is the day to push it.
Great advice in THEORY. Now if I was to follow it I would be happily eating a chocolate wrapped chocolate coated chocolate cake... Mmmmm land of chocolate! ok ok .. what i mean is I have a problem snacking and have to learn to control my eating habits a lot better. I've actually found all this riding kerbs my hunger significantly! Good luck on your century too :D