First entry roadbike, Giordano vs Vilano?

garypham

Sep 17, 2014
Hi guys, After reading up on some review articles online, it seems that many people recommend the Giordano Libero 1.6 and the Vilano Shadow/Forza 4.0s as the best budget entry level roadbikes for those who want to get their feet wet into the hobby. From reading the articles, I see very similar specs for these 3 models, as they are all 6061 aluminum framed brakes with integrated shifters, but I was hoping if someone can give me their first hand experience with any of these bikes (if you've tried more than 1, please let me know your opinions). I am a shorter male, around 5'3-5'4 so I will most definitely be getting the 49/50cm models. Looking around for the best prices I can get:

-Vilano 4.0 forza for 439.99 shipped on ebay (no tax)

-Vilano Shadow 314.00 shipped on wayfair (no tax, 10% coupon)

-Giordano Libero 1.6 for 351.00 local dealer (325 + california tax).

On the few beginner bike shootout articles I saw, people typically ranked the Forza as the #1 bike under 500.00. Is it worth the 125 dollars premium over the Shadow? Also, how does the Libero rank against these two Vilano models? Thanks guys!

If you buy a bicycle mail order, expect to have no support after the purchase. Having a local dealer for support is a big plus. Spec wise, the bikes seem to be a step up from big-box stores and assuming the fit is good, after the assembly is double checked, they should function well.

I would skip the shadow as it has the lowest spec group and 7 speeds. Eight speed groups are as low as I would go for a road bike.

Thanks for the advice. I actually called up my local dealer who's selling the Libero and he said that for 10 dollars more, they will assemble the bike and do all the initial tuning/adjustments for me. This would seem to be the best deal out of the 3 I listed right? Since I would most likely have to get a mail ordered bike tuned at a local bike shop anyways for like 50-70 bucks?

After servicing a couple of older Vilano Forzas, all I could say was, what a crude bike. I don't know anything about Giordano, but if it has the backing of a local dealer, go for it.

What do you guys think of the Wellington Windsor 2.0 with Sora Derailleur?

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2277 (299.00 shipped right now with no taxes)

Looking online, it seems that this particular model is selling for around 360.00 on bikedirect
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2_IX.htm

Would this be a better purchase than the Giordano above? I assume that after getting it tuned up at a LBS, it'd both end up being around the same price. Which bike has better components? Thanks!

Originally Posted by garypham
What do you guys think of the Wellington Windsor 2.0 with Sora Derailleur?
Definitely a better value than the Vilano. If the Giordano comes fully assembled and tuned by the dealer, get the Giordano. If you get the Windsor, you'll either end up paying a dealer about $85 to assemble it, or you'll wish you did. Or you'll wish you got the Giordano.

I think the Giordano is probably my top choice right now. Despite most people telling me to go used, I think the fact that the Giordano (being 361.00 total out the door, including tuneup/sizing/assembly, and 1 year warranty), makes it the most appropriate first choice for someone like me with no experience. I figure that I could always just sell it later on for a small hit and upgrade to a higher end bike if I decide that I want to get serious into the hobby. Thanks again for all the advice!

Was looking on slickdeals and came across a Schwinn Fastback 2 with 2013 Sora components from nashbar

http://slickdeals.net/f/7186352-nashbar-quality-entry-level-sora-road-bike-422-shipped-taxes-if-applicable?v=1

Being that I live in California, it will come out to slightly over 450 after tax. Even with the additional cost to get a proper fit/tuneup at a LBS, is this a better route to go than the Giordano? From what I read, it seems that 2013 Sora components are pretty decent right? (should be comparable to Trek 1.2s?).