First experience with road bike shoes

FujiRoadBike5

Nov 19, 2005
I ordered a pair of Northwave Revolution road bike shoes last week. They got to my house yesterday and I tried them on. Caught up in the excitement of my new shoes i walked out into my kitchen that has tile floors with them on, slipped, and fell over. Before I take my new shoes out on the road I have a few questions. Are the shoes slippery on pavement? If they are slippery on pavement will I be able to stop on a steep hill and put my feet down?

You've just discovered one of the joys of road cycling ;) Road shoes, because of the way the cleats protrude can be a problem on some surfaces and will always make you walk 'funny' off the bike. Yeah, some surfaces you'll find are slippery, some will be OK. You just need to be careful when walking around :eek: You shouldn't have any problems stopping on a steep hill and putting your foot down :p

FujiRoadBike5 said:
I ordered a pair of Northwave Revolution road bike shoes last week. They got to my house yesterday and I tried them on. Caught up in the excitement of my new shoes i walked out into my kitchen that has tile floors with them on, slipped, and fell over. Before I take my new shoes out on the road I have a few questions. Are the shoes slippery on pavement? If they are slippery on pavement will I be able to stop on a steep hill and put my feet down?
Yes, road shoes can be problematic on pavement as well as other smooth surfaces. They are not designed for walking. If you need to be off of the bike during your rides and want to walk more securely, consider switching to SPD-type pedals and MTB-type shoes.

Otherwise, if you are committed to staying with the road shoes, and I think you should if your primary riding is longer road rides with only limited walking, consider putting a bit of rubber stair tread on the heels. Some shoe brands such as Sidi have replaceable heel plug made of softer grippy rubber that helps when off of the bike. For my Diadora shoes, which do not have a heel plug, using the 3M rubber tread (available at most hardware or Home Depot type stores) helps a lot.

Another useful thing is to use cleat covers when off of the bike. I ride speedplay pedals and use their "cafe cover" product when walking in the road shoes which improves traction and protects the cleat. Similar products are made for Look cleats (and maybe others as well).

Good luck and be careful.