First fall using clipless..

I know this is an old thread but I was reading through since I've fallen a few times with my new clipless pedals. I had a slow motion fall at a red light yesterday. I felt so stupid. I stopped and stepped off the bike to stretch my healing knee from a previous fall. I got back on before the light changed but got on from the right of the bike which I usually get on from the left. I clipped my left in as usual but I started leaning left somehow. I could not figure out how to unclip my left foot in time even though it felt slow motion. I know I need practice but these stupid falls are terrible for confidence.

I've noticed that when you're out in the middle of nowhere, all by yourself, you NEVER fall over because you forgot to unclip.

Get to a busy intersection, and suddenly your odds of looking stupid increase tremendously. And they go up even more depending on how many good lookin' women are around.

I haven't gone to clipless yet but I think it's going to happen soon. I've always been scared of being attached to the bike in that way but hopefully I'll grow out of it.

Originally Posted by BadWolf .

I haven't gone to clipless yet but I think it's going to happen soon. I've always been scared of being attached to the bike in that way but hopefully I'll grow out of it.

Just practice clipping in and out someplace safe, like a parking lot, till you've got the motion involved committed to muscle memory. Then when you are out riding remember to unclip at least one foot before you get to a situation where you will, or might, have to stop.

I've been using them for years, and I still unclip one foot when I see something ahead that makes me think I might have to take evasive action, and it's easy enough to clip back in once I get past the obstacle.