First fall using clipless..

slyjackson

Jun 18, 2007
Today I after I returned home from my sunday 15 miler, I was doing a little cooling off by riding up and donw the street a few times. My neighbor was outside with a few friends and he called me over so he could look at my bike. I pulled up into his driveway and hit the brakes and came to a complete stop.

Sh!!!t I forgot to un-clip, down I go! I use to play football and when i fall, I natually "Roll" when I hit the ground. The bike was flopped around a little since It was still attached while i was rolling. Got up without a scratch. It shocked all who saw it,because they did not know what happened. They thought I passed out or something since one of them saw me "tucked in" on the Aero bars coming down 210 smokin .

I got a good laugh out it and so did everyone else. I Knew this was going to happen, just did not know when. So much for showing off my "Cool" bike to the fellas today..
smile.gif

Anyway this was my first fall since I went with the " crank brothers Quattro's ". So add me to the list of clowns who forgot to unclip before he stopped..
biggrin.gif

your lucky yours was in a safe, traffic free driveway. My first fall was after 5 minutes after i got them, i rode to the street corner, busy by the way because it was 5:00, i got to the street, all casual with my new clipin shoes, and i tried pulling it out and wam. Man i probably looked like a fish because i was flailing all over trying to get my foot out. But i panicked and did not put a twist to my ankle. luckily i did not get run over =)

It's hard to look cool when something like that happens...do you have pics?? :D

Hey, I've been riding Quattro's for a couple of years now...great Pedals...problem is, once you're in your IN...as you found out today...

Here's a thread I started a while back, lots of funny escapades here...
http://cyclingforums.com/t83092.html

Jaguar27 said:
Hey, I've been riding Quattro's for a couple of years now...great Pedals...problem is, once you're in your IN...as you found out today...
Amen on that, Even after a complete roll on the ground, both feet were still attached to the pedals..:D

Cycler6n said:
Is your bike okay?
Yea, for the most part all is ok. I have officially "Baptised" my bike by scraping a hole the size of nickel in the seat during the roll thing on the street yesterday, but other than that, no damage to anything else that I saw, but today is my recovery day so I won't ride today. I do my bike cleaning on these days and I guess If there is something scratch or damaged that was not seen due to the shock of yesterdays joining of the "Failure to un-clip Clown Club", I'll know in a few hours when I get home.

You got me wondering now..I'll keep you posted.:eek:

I think I will make this my new Signature: "Free your Feet or your a$$ will follow":D

I have used clipless for about 1.5 yrs, now and even I'm not immune to the 0mph fall... went for a easy ride with my friend (he's on blades) and when we returned to his apartment, the rear parking area is kinda slanted so I put my right foot down and tried to unclip the left but had some difficulty getting it unclipped. As it unclipped and I placed my left foot on the ground I kinda hopped forward to keep my balance putting the big chainring about 1/4" into my right calf!! OOOWWW!!:eek:

Got me some sympathy from the GF tho' :)

slyjackson said:
Yea, for the most part all is ok. I have officially "Baptised" my bike by scraping a hole the size of nickel in the seat during the roll thing on the street yesterday, but other than that, no damage to anything else that I saw, but today is my recovery day so I won't ride today. I do my bike cleaning on these days and I guess If there is something scratch or damaged that was not seen due to the shock of yesterdays joining of the "Failure to un-clip Clown Club", I'll know in a few hours when I get home.

You got me wondering now..I'll keep you posted.:eek:

I think I will make this my new Signature: "Free your Feet or your a$$ will follow":D
LOL! thats good, never thought of that

slyjackson said:
Amen on that, Even after a complete roll on the ground, both feet were still attached to the pedals..:D

Check the torque on your cleat screws occasionally, I've almost "Clowned down" twice because mine got loose...you have to twist your foot MUCH further to unclip with loose Cleats...
:eek:

Jaguar27 said:
Check the torque on your cleat screws occasionally, I've almost "Clowned down" twice because mine got loose...you have to twist your foot MUCH further to unclip with loose Cleats...
:eek:
Good call Jaguar27, you are correct. I checked mine yesterday and both cleats were loose... I put a small amount of "loc-tight" on the screws thread and torque them down. I really don't want to do any more performances for my neighbors.. :D

When I started using clip-ins I was determined to be above the learning curve, and I did so well the first week that I thought I'd beaten the curse. Then the gods came out to play.
rolleyes.gif

Of course thereafter every fall was in traffic. Overconfidence is a humiliating thing.

Isn't it funny how the pedals are called clipless but everone talks about clipping in and un-clipping!

I just did the same thing for the 3rd time in 20 yrs.....I was very embarrassed, and couldn't believe it.

I landed on my left elbow and left knee. After two weeks they still hurt. Unfortunately, at age 56 I don't heal nearly as fast as I used to.

Doug

djrocker257 said:
I just did the same thing for the 3rd time in 20 yrs.....I was very embarrassed, and couldn't believe it.

I landed on my left elbow and left knee. After two weeks they still hurt. Unfortunately, at age 56 I don't heal nearly as fast as I used to.

Doug
Welcome to the "Clown Club" Doug ! :D

"Free your Feet or your a$$ will follow"

slyjackson said:
Welcome to the "Clown Club" Doug ! :D

"Free your Feet or your a$$ will follow"

The meeting will now come to order..... (Honk, Honk)

The 2nd time I fell was after a ride. My 3 children were looking out the bay window at me, when I fell in the driveway. They immediately got my wife and the whole family watched as I lost my wrestling match with my Cannondale.

After 12 yrs it still is a topic of conversation at our family gatherings.

I've been considering going clipless on my road bike for a while now, but haven't because of fear. :eek: A few years back when I was at uni in Wales I used to do a lot of mountain biking and my mate in front of me jammed his front wheel into a deceptively deep puddle.
The results weren't pretty he went **** over *** on a gravel path and broke a rib, badly twisted an ankle and cut his face into the bargain, and we weren't going fast.
I've come off a few times in London due to white vans, taxis and old people and think things coulda been a lot worse if my bike was connected to my feet.
Am i being a *****? Is there a massive advantage going clipless?

This will sound daft.

Never seen these pedals before (heard lots about them, just never seen them).

How exactly do you get your feet onto and off the pedals?

(No sarcy comments! lol)

Interested in getting some, however dont want to be another rider kissing the dirt when he stops. Just thought id ask what the logic is behind them.

I was unmerciful when my husband first started riding attached to his bike. I couldn't wait to tell people about his embarrassing falls. "I would never get those silly pedals." Well, never say never, of course I had to go clipless when I got my road bike 2 months ago. My second group ride with my new pedals you know I got my fair dues, falling as I came to a stop. More embarrassing than painful. Although know a guy who fell at a stop breaking his hip on the curb, ouch! Long recovery. Be careful out there. :eek:

I just had a few more falls, two in one day ! Yesterday I put my stuff on and mounted the bike. Since my driveway has a small decline there was no need to pedal. on my way down I "Clipped in" ,well when I get to street I start pedal.

My chain came off and since there is a small incline to the street I slowed down and fell over . Two of my neighbors were out watering the grass. They just looked at me and shook their heads. These were the same neighbors I fell in front of before. (which triggered this thread)

I get up un-injured and check my chain. All is ok, not sure why it came off since it was now on my granny gear. Anyway I mount the bike, wave at my laughing neighbors and remembered that I need to turn on my tail light since the sun had went down. I slowed, un-clipped my right foot and stopped and and for some strange reason I started leaning to the left. I kicked and kicked and kicked out my right foot, but to no help and I slowly fell to the left.

All in plain view of my neighbors again. They all came over to me this time and got me un-tangle from the bike and told me "Just forget about riding this bike today, and just go home". Which I did. I walked the bike home. I've got to be the biggest "Ass" that ever rode a bike in their eyes. I'm ashamed to go outside now, let alone attempt to ride my bike in front of them again. I'm going to run for president of the "forgot to unclip ass clown club" ...
frown.gif