First Flat Tire

Bruck

Jul 24, 2011
Connecticut
OK....So I know that this is small potatoes, but I got my first road flat today. I got back into biking about 2 months ago. First I started riding my MTB, but knew very quickly that I wanted to hit the road. I bought a road bike and haven't looked back. Anyway, I was out for a short 20 mile ride and blew out the front tire after hitting a rock while taking a drink. I changed it in this old man's driveway and answered about a 100 questions for him about the bike. You'd think he thought it was from the future. Anyway, I know it's no big deal, but it was a reason to post something. I've been lurking for a while and thought I would finally make myself known. Thanks for the info that I have gathered already from this forum! Happy riding!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Welcome aboard as a contributing member. Just think, the next time you are on the road, you might see that old man riding a bike because he was so impressed with yours.

You don't say where you are located. Here it is hot enough that if someone has a mechanical people stop and talk to them. And that includes people coming out of their houses. People tend to show a lot of concern for bicyclists and runners this time of year.

It is always good to talk to people when you are using their lawn. Be nice. Thank them. You might need to borrow a bottle of water or a telephone one day.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. "An Old Guy" I doubt that you are anywhere the man's age that I was talking about, but I assure you I was nice as pie to him. He was nice to me and I of course returned the favor. Have a great evening!!:)

can't recall the last flat I fixed that was mine...sometime last year on my mtn bike..but the last fix I did was just last week for a young kid I saw on a bike path walking a flat tire. I rolled across the street to him and after a few "naw..that's OK..." I realized he was about to walk 5 miles home. Turns out he had 3 flats including an inch long tear! Luckily I carry three C02 cartridges in the event I miss a pinch flat. He was all wide-eyed and didn't know you could ever fix a flat tire. He'd never seen it done and didn't know patch kits or C02 cartridges even existed. What a hoot.

I started serious riding about four years ago and I am still waiting for my first flat tire. Thousands of miles and I'm just shocked. I hear about flats all the time. I don't get it.

Originally Posted by doctorold .

I started serious riding about four years ago and I am still waiting for my first flat tire. Thousands of miles and I'm just shocked. I hear about flats all the time. I don't get it.
No, you don't get them and consider yourself lucky. I don't get as many as others have talked about but I do get an occasional flat, usually because I did not see a sharp object until I was digging it out of my tire. I try to avoid glass or other broken stuff on the road, and I check my tires post ride to remove anything that might have gotten stuck on the tire that could work its way inside and puncture the innier tube. It seems that a little care goes a long way in preventing flats.

Zero flats last year and one so far this year while out riding. I am bracing for some up coming flats which may happen to you in NC over the next few weeks. The flat that happened this year was when I was passing a bucket truck working on some power lines. Bam I pulled over and had a small piece of copper wire sticking out of my front tire. Irene's not done with us yet. Who knows what else is littered on the roadways./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

My longest flat free stretch was five years and then I had 2 flats in less than one month. Anyone who rides regularly is bound to have a flat sometime, however as others have already pointed out, having good tires, watching for and avoiding sharp objects when you ride, and a big dose of luck will help lower the number of flats you have.

I hope your flat free stretch continues! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif