First Flat

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baelwulfe, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I have done yet. I actually
    got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I was prepared and new how to change out my tube. I
    get everything ready then the bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of
    the tubes they sold me. :( Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.

    RH

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Baelwulfe thoughtfully penned:
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I have done yet. I actually
    > got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I was prepared and new how to change out my tube. I
    > get everything ready then the bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of
    > the tubes they sold me. :( Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.
    >

    > RH

    so how far did you have to hike out?

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    have
    > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    was
    > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    the
    > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.

    Check again - often times bike pumps convert between schrader and presta (types of valves) by
    unscrewing the cap and flipping the innards over.

    Can someone explain to me why (some) bikes have to be the only vehicle *not* to use standard
    (Schrader) valves?

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    have
    > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    was
    > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    the
    > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.
    >

    > RH

    Most pumps are interchangeable by some means and can support both valve types. You might want
    to look in your manual and make sure it's not just ignorance/user error before you go to the
    LBS to complain.

    Matt

  5. I think its cos Schrader valves can't hold as high pressures as presta valves - this is needed on
    road bikes and has kinda carried over into mountain bikes

    also the presta valve is smaller and lighter - so saves weight and the rim is weakened less cos a
    smaller valve hole

    Steven

    news:[email protected]...

  6. "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    have
    > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    was
    > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    the
    > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.
    >

    > RH

    Although you may be correct, most bike pumps I have encountered have a reversible rubber washer
    inside the head. Unscrew the pastic part, flip around the washer (narrow hole = presta, fatter hole
    = schader) along with the little pastic nipple in there and you could be set to go. Good luck.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  7. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    John Harlow wrote:

    > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    > have
    > > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    > was
    > > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    > the
    > > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.
    >
    > Check again - often times bike pumps convert between schrader and presta (types of valves) by
    > unscrewing the cap and flipping the innards over.
    >
    > Can someone explain to me why (some) bikes have to be the only vehicle *not* to use standard
    > (Schrader) valves?

    Don't even freaking go there. Everybody knows that Prestas are far superior valves, and they should
    be on cars as well.

    You're probably one of those dry-spindle deviants, aren't you?

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Steven Templeton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think its cos Schrader valves can't hold as high pressures as presta valves - this is needed on
    > road bikes and has kinda carried over into mountain bikes

    No. Aircraft tires use Schraeder valves. I haven't seen many 250psi bike tires in general use.

    > also the presta valve is smaller and lighter - so saves weight and the rim is weakened less cos a
    > smaller valve hole

    Presta comes from Europe, and before widespread gas stations and 'everyone has a car'. It carried
    over to here because of the "euro-coolness", and the 'anti-Huffy' rule.

    Have you ever seen (or heard of) a rim failure that could be attributed to the larger
    schraeder hole?

    Pete Prestas ARE slightly easier to blow up via a handpump.

  9. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    have
    > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    was
    > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    the
    > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.

    First rule of portable tools. Try them in the comfort of your home first. Nothing like using a chain
    tool for the first time in the rain and the mud.

    Dave

  10. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > Can someone explain to me why (some) bikes have to be the only vehicle
    *not*
    > to use standard (Schrader) valves?

    Importing the r.b.t Schraeder/Presta flamewars are ya?

    -Dave

  11. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > Can someone explain to me why (some) bikes have to be the only vehicle
    *not*
    > > to use standard (Schrader) valves?
    >
    > Don't even freaking go there. Everybody knows that Prestas are far
    superior
    > valves, and they should be on cars as well.

    Yes, and Betamax is a far superior tape format.

    I might agree presta seems marginally better - but it's non-standardness with *virtually every other
    vehicle* is a huge downside IMHO.

    > You're probably one of those dry-spindle deviants, aren't you?

    Let's not let the moisture content of my spindle enter into this... ;)

  12. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    After spending 20 min on the trail trying to work my pump, and then an hour at home trying to figure
    it out, I head to my LBS and they show me how to set it up in less then a minute. Oh well, I'm sure
    they had a good laugh anyway "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Q5q[email protected]...
    > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    have
    > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    was
    > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    the
    > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting the flat.
    >

    > RH

  13. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    > so how far did you have to hike out?

    Only about 2 miles, was towards the end of my ride fortunately.

  14. "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > After spending 20 min on the trail trying to work my pump, and then an hour at home trying to
    > figure it out, I head to my LBS and they show me
    how
    > to set it up in less then a minute. Oh well, I'm sure they had a good
    laugh
    > anyway "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    > have
    > > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    > was
    > > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    > the
    > > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting
    the
    > > flat.
    > >

    > > RH

    No worries, ain't a one of us hasn't made one or two mistakes. Now you know.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  15. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > After spending 20 min on the trail trying to work my pump, and then an hour at home trying to
    > figure it out, I head to my LBS and they show me
    how
    > to set it up in less then a minute. Oh well, I'm sure they had a good
    laugh
    > anyway "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    > have
    > > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    > was
    > > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    > the
    > > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting
    the
    > > flat.
    > >

    > > RH

    Try this one. Purchase sofa bed. Receive guests. Attempt to open sofa bed. Hmmmmm pull here doesn't
    work. Pushing here doesn't work. Pulling harder doesn't work. Having lots of people curse and pull
    in all different directions at once doesn't work. Lets call the store and ask them.

    Seems if you remove the wire wrapped around the frame for safety during delivery the sofa bed will
    pop right out. Also turns out that all sofa beds come this way and *everyone* knows it but you.

    ~CG

  16. Hfmadness

    Hfmadness Guest

    Nearly every pump you can find now will work on both Presta and Schrader valves. Unscrew the
    end...inside, there is a rubber piece and then a plastic piece. Pull these out, swap ends, and put
    them back in (same order, just flip the pieces around.) Presta-change-a: if it was set for Presta,
    it now works on Schrader; if set for Schrader, it now works on Presta. You probably already figured
    this out, though.

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    > have
    > > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    > was
    > > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    > the
    > > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting
    the
    > > flat.
    > >

    > First rule of portable tools. Try them in the comfort of your home first. Nothing like using a
    > chain tool for the first time in the rain and the
    mud.

    > Dave

  17. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    And it won't be your last. You can give a yell when you can fix one, thats remove the wheel & tire
    fix and replace everything in 10 minutes. Then you can get on with having fun and ride on.

    Fire up MTB 03

  18. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > After spending 20 min on the trail trying to work my pump, and then an hour at home trying to
    > figure it out, I head to my LBS and they show me
    how
    > to set it up in less then a minute. Oh well, I'm sure they had a good
    laugh
    > anyway "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I got my first flat tire today after some of the hardest riding I
    > have
    > > done yet. I actually got really excited (isn't it twisted ) because I
    > was
    > > prepared and new how to change out my tube. I get everything ready then
    > the
    > > bomb drops, the pump the bike shop sold me doesn't fit the valves of the tubes they sold me. :(
    > > Guess I should've tried my pump before getting
    the
    > > flat.
    > >

    > > RH

    Reminds me of embarrassing moment with former g/f many moons ago. Visited
    g/f at parent's home for evening with shiny new motorbike. Ho ho ho. Evening ended, time to depart,
    and couldn't start bike. Had to stay night, terribly embarrassed. Felt stupid because at 18years
    old seemed like a not so subtle ploy to sleep with g/f the night. Parents sceptical. Morning
    dawns, can clearly, within moments see that 'Kill' switch on bike was OFF. Never did tell g/f or
    g/f's parents truth. "Oh," I sez,"Started first time this morning. I wonder why it just kept
    turning over last night?" EVERYONE knows to check Kill Switch.
    --
    Westie

  19. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > Can someone explain to me why (some) bikes have to be the only vehicle
    > *not*
    > > > to use standard (Schrader) valves?
    > >
    > > Don't even freaking go there. Everybody knows that Prestas are far
    > superior
    > > valves, and they should be on cars as well.
    >
    > Yes, and Betamax is a far superior tape format.

    Actually, as I understand it, Betamax WAS a superior tape format. Maybe I'm misinformed and too
    young to know... <sniff>

    > I might agree presta seems marginally better - but it's non-standardness with *virtually every
    > other vehicle* is a huge downside IMHO.
    >
    > > You're probably one of those dry-spindle deviants, aren't you?
    >
    > Let's not let the moisture content of my spindle enter into this... ;)

    --
    Westie

  20. Alan McClure

    Alan McClure Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > And it won't be your last. You can give a yell when you can fix one, thats remove the wheel & tire
    > fix and replace everything in 10 minutes. Then you can get on with having fun and ride on.
    >
    > Fire up MTB 03

    Just had my first flat today. I had two thorn punctures. I managed to patch both of the punctures
    and remove the thorns easily, and then re-installed the wheel in probably about 15 minutes. The
    reason it didn't take longer was because I have changed tires and my front wheel before, so I had
    the hang of the procedure. The pumping is what took the most time. I hate small pumps.

    Alan