First Grind!! :-D

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by joe, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. joe

    joe Guest

    Hey Folks,

    Well, I'm really happy!

    The other day, I met some mates up in Newcastle. They were on their
    bikes, and I went up on my Trials.
    We met at a skate park (which I hadnt been to before) and it was fairly
    quiet, so I did some stuff on my uni, while they did jumps on their
    bikes.

    I never usually go to skate parks, so I never have anything to learn to
    grind on.
    I started off on a flat grind thing, I dont know what they call them,
    and could only just do it. I found it suprisingly easy actually.

    I then tried it out on a slope. After a few attempts, I got it! I think
    I'm going to go back to the park again, as it was really cool.

    I was able to drop into the bowl from a table, grind, jump the steps,
    gaps and do some 'freestyle' stuff.

    Anyways, I got 2 short clips of me grinding...
    'First video' (http://tinyurl.com/2np76) and 'second video'
    (http://tinyurl.com/295pm). I'm so pleased I have laernt how to grind. I
    am now going to work on rails...

    Also check out a thread (which I aint made as I type this....) on Just
    Conversation, called 'Bar55'. Its a clip of my mate on bike bike... just
    watch it - its awesome!!!

    Cheers,

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  2. chirokid

    chirokid Guest

    Congrats on your grind Joe. --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  3. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    Too funny! looks like we've reeached the same level at he same time!
    I've just learned to grind today! I've actually done one (one not more)
    180 to grind on a plastic park bench...I'm proud of that...

    I should be alot better in a few days....

    --
    Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

    "Cyclists of the world unite!
    You have nothing to lose but your other wheel!"

    ~Owen Kirby

    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  4. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

  5. tom_edmonds

    tom_edmonds Guest

    I managed a short grind downa concrete legde (super waxed) last weekend
    it feels so good , and isnt too hard once youve gotten the balls to do
    it. theres a small sloping grind box in my towns skatepark but its right
    hand side jobby, which is daunting cos its my rear crank and the side i
    dont usually grab with.

    Congratualtions joe, ill have to check out yourvideos when i get home ,
    i cant see them at work, and i proabably shouldnt be trying to view them
    anyway seeing as im quite busy

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  6. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    I'm also without a skatepark but managed my first grind on a wet wooden
    wheelchair ramp last week. I only had two feet of ramp before I ran out
    though. Then two nights ago I was in PEI and I busted my uni. A short
    while later I found an eight stair set that was also wet and wooden. I
    was grinding the edge of it on my feet, and then was grinding the hand
    rail. I can't decide if it was best my uni was broken or not. If it
    wasn't, there is a good chance I would of tried it on my uni, with one
    of two results. I would of greased it, or I would of eaten dirt. But it
    would have been interesting.

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 4.6

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  7. joe

    joe Guest

    thanks for the replies.

    Murde Mental, cool! :) I havnt practiced yet, but I plan to go back to
    the skate park soon!

    Once you get the balls to grind, it aint too bad...

    Cheers,

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  8. tom_edmonds

    tom_edmonds Guest

    joe wrote:
    > *
    > Once you get the balls to grind, it aint too bad...
    > *

    Then you have to work up the balls to doing a handrail, and well thats a
    different ball game. hmmmm one day maybe but i doubt its going to be
    soon. I just have visions of being lent back too far and being dumped
    backwards onto the steps. good luck to you joe, im sure youll work up
    to them soon enough tho, your a great rider

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  9. joe

    joe Guest

    Thanks Tom,

    Yeah, you get the balls to grind a ledge, which in the end dont seem too
    bad, but then you just look at a rail, and it is a whole new ball game!
    lol. Hopefully I will get there one day... with a little practice! :p

    Joe,