First homebuilt swb bent

Ken Marcet

Guest
I am in the middle of the final stages of building my first bent, and I have
a couple of issues maybe someone could help me with. First handlebar stems
or handlebars the stem bars I have are two close to where my legs will need
to be to pedal my bike. Actually my legs will hit with every rotation of the
crank! So I need some advise on ways to solve this issue, I have seen
fabricated bars, and this may be an option for me, I have also seen hi rise
stems that raise the bars above what the stock stem will allow. These seem a
bit costly, I am trying to build this bike on a budget! Any feedback? Second
chain guides, I have seen plenty of arrangements for guiding the chain most
seem to involve idler wheels fabricated from in-line skate wheels or
skateboard wheels, I was thinking of just using short 2 to 3 inch pieces of
pvc tubing instead of the jockey wheel arangements. Has anyone every tried
this? What were the results?
Thanks for the advise!

Ken

--
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

Mountain bike stems extend the bar more, but typically are designed for
1-1/8 threadless systems.

The handlebar on my home built is just a long piece of 1" aluminum welded to
a short cross-piece. I also made a pivot at the junction. This was as much
to make it impossible to bend the thin tube as it was for the pivot effect,
but the effect was nice. At slow speeds, I put the bar back towards my lap
for more tiller, but at higher speeds, having it more vertical gave more
sensitive steering.

If you need to push down on the drive side (top) of the chain, you
absolutely will need an idler. For slack or low friction areas, 3/4" black
irrigation tubing works fine.

"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am in the middle of the final stages of building my first bent, and I
>have
> a couple of issues maybe someone could help me with. First handlebar stems
> or handlebars the stem bars I have are two close to where my legs will
> need
> to be to pedal my bike. Actually my legs will hit with every rotation of
> the
> crank! So I need some advise on ways to solve this issue, I have seen
> fabricated bars, and this may be an option for me, I have also seen hi
> rise
> stems that raise the bars above what the stock stem will allow. These seem
> bit costly, I am trying to build this bike on a budget! Any feedback?
> Second
> chain guides, I have seen plenty of arrangements for guiding the chain
> most
> seem to involve idler wheels fabricated from in-line skate wheels or
> skateboard wheels, I was thinking of just using short 2 to 3 inch pieces
> of
> pvc tubing instead of the jockey wheel arangements. Has anyone every tried
> this? What were the results?
> Thanks for the advise!
>
> Ken
>

> --
> It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
> Arthur C. Clarke
> English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
news:[email protected]...
> I am in the middle of the final stages of building my first bent, and I

have
> a couple of issues maybe someone could help me with. First handlebar stems
> or handlebars the stem bars I have are two close to where my legs will

need
> to be to pedal my bike. Actually my legs will hit with every rotation of

the
> crank! So I need some advise on ways to solve this issue, I have seen
> fabricated bars, and this may be an option for me, I have also seen hi

rise
> stems that raise the bars above what the stock stem will allow. These seem

> bit costly, I am trying to build this bike on a budget! Any feedback?

Second
> chain guides, I have seen plenty of arrangements for guiding the chain

most
> seem to involve idler wheels fabricated from in-line skate wheels or
> skateboard wheels, I was thinking of just using short 2 to 3 inch pieces

of
> pvc tubing instead of the jockey wheel arangements. Has anyone every tried
> this? What were the results?
> Thanks for the advise!
>
> Ken

Hi Ken!

Now I'm building my own stems in two pieces. The main piece is attached to
the fork neck (I use threadless 1 1/8" headset) and has a tube welded to the
head piece. On this tube, I use an aluminum 1" tube to provide some length
variation capacities. The second piece, provides the attachment of the
handlebars to the aluminum tube.

To my chain idlers, I don't use skate wheels, because they are too weak. My
creations are mainly front wheel drive and I need strong pulleys no manage a
twist chain system. I use to make my own idlers with two ball bearings each
one and the material employed is Tecnyl (nylon).

If you want, I'll send some pics to you showing the solutions...

All the best

Eduardo
--

Ypê Bike: http://www.ypebike.cjb.net/