First Loch swim - help required

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Teslar, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Teslar

Teslar Guest

I did my first OW Triathlon swim in Lochore (Scotland) at the weekend, and was I disappointed :-(

I totally lost all sense of direction and had a tendency to drift right. I made the turn point still
    with a small group of swimmers in my wake but heading home after an anti clockwise turn I went
    completely astray not helped by fogged goggles and not being able to hear the canoeists shouting
    direction I zig zaged my way to the beach to find myself last out of the water and feeling a total
    clown having entertained all the various spectators..... followed that with the challenge of passing
    as many on the bike section as I possibly could and then getting beaten in a sprint for the finish
    with a sprightly older guy. Mind you older was not necessarily wiser as he went for glory I went for
    the timing chip counter :)

Any tips or drills for swimming straight and true ??

cheers

Tom

Tags:

2. Triandrun

Triandrun Guest

"Teslar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I did my first OW Triathlon swim in Lochore (Scotland) at the weekend, and was I disappointed :-(
    >
    > I totally lost all sense of direction and had a tendency to drift right. I made the turn point
    > still with a small group of swimmers in my wake but heading home after an anti clockwise turn I
    > went completely astray not helped by fogged goggles and not being able to hear the canoeists
    > shouting direction I zig zaged my way to the beach to find myself last out of the water and
    > feeling a total clown having entertained all the various spectators..... followed that with the
    > challenge of passing as many on the bike section as I possibly could and then getting beaten in a
    > sprint for the finish with a sprightly older guy. Mind you older was not necessarily wiser as he
    > went for glory I went for the timing chip counter :)
    >
    > Any tips or drills for swimming straight and true ??
    >
    > cheers
    >

> Tom

First of all - get a coach.

I'll coach you for £25.00 per hour.

Then get some glasses to see where you're going.

We all know your eyesight's getting worse!!!

Regards

George

3. Teslar

Teslar Guest

OK George,

when I zipped up your suit I should have zipped up the back of your head too
    :)

"triandrun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Teslar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I did my first OW Triathlon swim in Lochore (Scotland) at the weekend,
    and
    > > was I disappointed :-(
    > >
    > > I totally lost all sense of direction and had a tendency to drift right.
    I
    > > made the turn point still with a small group of swimmers in my wake but heading home after an
    > > anti clockwise turn I went completely astray not helped by fogged goggles and not being able to
    > > hear the canoeists
    shouting
    > > direction I zig zaged my way to the beach to find myself last out of the water and feeling a
    > > total clown having entertained all the various spectators..... followed that with the challenge
    > > of passing as many on
    the
    > > bike section as I possibly could and then getting beaten in a sprint for
    the
    > > finish with a sprightly older guy. Mind you older was not necessarily
    wiser
    > > as he went for glory I went for the timing chip counter :)
    > >
    > > Any tips or drills for swimming straight and true ??
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    >
    > > Tom
    >
    >
    > First of all - get a coach.
    >
    > I'll coach you for £25.00 per hour.
    >
    > Then get some glasses to see where you're going.
    >
    > We all know your eyesight's getting worse!!!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > George

4. Triandrun

Triandrun Guest

"Teslar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > OK George,
    >
    > when I zipped up your suit I should have zipped up the back of your head too
    > :)
    >
    > "triandrun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Teslar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I did my first OW Triathlon swim in Lochore (Scotland) at the weekend,
    > and
    > > > was I disappointed :-(
    > > >
    > > > I totally lost all sense of direction and had a tendency to drift right.
    > I
    > > > made the turn point still with a small group of swimmers in my wake but heading home after an
    > > > anti clockwise turn I went completely astray not helped by fogged goggles and not being able
    > > > to hear the canoeists
    > shouting
    > > > direction I zig zaged my way to the beach to find myself last out of the water and feeling a
    > > > total clown having entertained all the various spectators..... followed that with the
    > > > challenge of passing as many on
    > the
    > > > bike section as I possibly could and then getting beaten in a sprint for
    > the
    > > > finish with a sprightly older guy. Mind you older was not necessarily
    > wiser
    > > > as he went for glory I went for the timing chip counter :)
    > > >
    > > > Any tips or drills for swimming straight and true ??
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > >
    >
    > > > Tom
    > >
    > >
    > > First of all - get a coach.
    > >
    > > I'll coach you for £25.00 per hour.
    > >
    > > Then get some glasses to see where you're going.
    > >
    > > We all know your eyesight's getting worse!!!
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > George

yeah, yeah, whatever