First marathoner, newbie question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Gen, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. Gen

    Gen Guest

    I am training for my first marathon. After a long run (12+ miles, 10
    min/mile) I have to urinate very frequently for the next 5-6 hours.
    Starts with once every few minutes just after the run and gets less
    frequent with time. The color of the liquid is very clear. I lose
    about 3-4 pounds of body weight in the next few hours after the run,
    inspite of all the food I eat. I gain the weight back the next day so
    it does not bother me though.
    My one guess is that I am drinking too much fluids during the run. But
    25oz/750ml every 4 miles seems to be about what's recommended. Also I
    actually feel thirsty during the run when I am drinking.

    QUESTION 1) Does anyone have a similar experience?
    QUESTION 2) Can anyone think of a reason why this happens?

    Thanks for your input.
    Gen

    Tags:

  2. Traveller ®

    Traveller ® Guest

    On 26 Sep 2004 07:50:56 -0700, [email protected] (Gen) wrote:

    >I am training for my first marathon. After a long run (12+ miles, 10
    >min/mile) I have to urinate very frequently for the next 5-6 hours.
    >Starts with once every few minutes just after the run and gets less
    >frequent with time. The color of the liquid is very clear.

    That's a good sign

    >I lose about 3-4 pounds of body weight in the next few hours after the run,
    >inspite of all the food I eat.

    Fluids is what you loose most

    >I gain the weight back the next day so
    >it does not bother me though.

    That's quiet normal, but have consider weighting yourself every day to
    establish a tendancy?

    >My one guess is that I am drinking too much fluids during the run. But
    >25oz/750ml every 4 miles seems to be about what's recommended.

    Nobody can recomend what you need!! Listen to your body!

    >Also I actually feel thirsty during the run when I am drinking.

    So drink more, when you feel thirsty, you're actualy (to) late.

    >QUESTION 1) Does anyone have a similar experience?
    >QUESTION 2) Can anyone think of a reason why this happens?
    >
    >Thanks for your input.
    >Gen

    de groeten,

    martin

    http://home.planet.nl/~usa

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Gen) wrote:

    > I am training for my first marathon. After a long run (12+ miles, 10
    > min/mile) I have to urinate very frequently for the next 5-6 hours.
    > Starts with once every few minutes just after the run and gets less
    > frequent with time. The color of the liquid is very clear. I lose
    > about 3-4 pounds of body weight in the next few hours after the run,
    > inspite of all the food I eat. I gain the weight back the next day so
    > it does not bother me though.
    > My one guess is that I am drinking too much fluids during the run. But
    > 25oz/750ml every 4 miles seems to be about what's recommended. Also I
    > actually feel thirsty during the run when I am drinking.
    >
    > QUESTION 1) Does anyone have a similar experience?
    > QUESTION 2) Can anyone think of a reason why this happens?

    What are your drinking? How much and at what intervals? You should be
    drinking a sports drink with a 6 to 8% CHO content. This will enhance fluid
    absorption. I don't think you're drinking too much unless you have to
    urinate during your long run.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  4. Bear G

    Bear G Guest

    Gen wrote:
    > I am training for my first marathon. After a long run (12+ miles, 10
    > min/mile) I have to urinate very frequently for the next 5-6 hours.

    (couldn't sleep)

    I had to urinate, then get back in line to urinate again, then
    stop at the first aid station to urinate yet again... and the
    occasional bush was starting to look pretty good by then. But
    from that point on I was fine. Disturbing so, later. I was
    drinking three or four paper cups of liquids every few miles, so
    it wasn't simple dehydration. Since then I've been dry despite
    drinking liters of fluids... and I'm still down 10 pounds.

    The problems at the beginning were nerves and being hypersaturated
    from the taper.

  5. Bear G

    Bear G Guest

    Ignoramus12690 wrote:
    > did not happen to me after the identical run...

    I thought you did a half in Illinois, not a full in Boulder.

  6. Bear G

    Bear G Guest

    Ignoramus12690 wrote:
    > The OP mentioned a 12+, 10MPM run, that's what I meant by identical.

    But the context was training for a marathon and what to expect
    then. I was telling him that the problem goes the other way then.
    Afterward you'll be so dehydrated that frequent urination will
    not be an issue. (Which reminds me I should probably grab another
    bottle of water. But it's downstairs. shudder.)

    I doubt many of us get nervous before a 12 mile training run.

  7. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >What are your drinking? How much and at what intervals?

    The intervals are the key. You can only absorp approx 8 oz per 20 minutes. Some
    people guzzle a gallon of water in half an hour then think they're hydrated,
    when actually they just piss it out.

  8. runners4bush

    runners4bush Guest

    [email protected] (Gen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >--snip--
    > Also I actually feel thirsty during the run when I am drinking.

    Gen as I understand it thirst is a poor indicator of hydration level -
    thirst occurse after dehydration begins.

    In your case since all is clear and weight comes back it sounds like
    you're ok.

    Regards

    Phil

    http://runners4bush2004.rantweb.com

  9. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Gen as I understand it

    There ya go Jen, he's a moron.

    We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

    By Garrison Keillor

    Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once,
    it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed
    spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
    communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all ships.
    They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier elements of
    their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat Earthers and
    Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element. The genial
    Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day, who made it
    OK for reasonable people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War
    to a stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway System, declined to
    rescue the French colonial army in Vietnam, and gave us a period of
    peace and prosperity, in which (oddly) American arts and letters
    flourished and higher education burgeoned-and there was a degree of
    plain decency in the country. Fifties Republicans were giants compared
    to todays'. Richard Nixon was the last Republican leader to feel a
    Christian obligation toward the poor.

    In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party
    migrated southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at
    the idea of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the
    Great Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of government, a gang
    of pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer
    chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who, while
    George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and made
    training films in Long Beach. The Nixon moderate vanished like the
    passenger pigeon, purged by a legion of angry white men who rose to
    power on pure punk politics. "Bipartisanship is another form of date
    rape," says Grover Norquist, the Sid Vicious of the GOP. "I don't want
    to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I
    can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy
    has Oedipal problems and government is his daddy.

    The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the
    party of hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based
    economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of
    convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking
    midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in
    pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks,
    Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk
    was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the
    rest of us, Newt's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull
    and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of secular
    institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts
    trying to walk. Republicans: The No1 reason the rest of the world thinks
    we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.

    Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the
    forest! Wild swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous
    gerrymandering! Pocket lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in
    committee rooms and write legislation to alleviate the suffering of
    billionaires! Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark
    Twain, where art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age
    reincarnated gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign
    of Divine Grace.

    Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a
    platform of tragedy-the single greatest failure of national defense in
    our history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put
    this nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White
    House fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to
    the hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to
    lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government impotent,
    even as we engage in a war against a small country that was undertaken
    for the president's personal satisfaction but sold to the American
    public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose purpose is to
    distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking place in this
    country, flowing upward, and the deception is working beautifully.

    The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few
    is the death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity
    has survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what
    happens to ours. The omens are not good. Our beloved land has been
    fogged with fear--fear, the greatest political strategy ever. An ominous
    silence, distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to
    keep the public uneasy and silence the opposition. And in a time of
    vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off
    the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public
    education to a standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks
    on the rich.

    There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't
    the Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it's 9/11 that we
    keep coming back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence," or a turning
    point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse
    of security. And patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard
    questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national security
    at the time. Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park
    Place or getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their
    office on the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of
    that non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people
    with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to
    victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing done
    in his second term.

    This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us
    Democrats as embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out
    hippies and communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of
    the Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and show over and over the
    footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and bodies
    being carried out and they will lie about their economic policies with
    astonishing enthusiasm. The Union is what needs defending this year.
    Government of Enron and by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is
    not the same as what Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus
    Republicanii has humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the
    comfy and school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know
    what books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and
    clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on
    behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public
    airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.

    This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry
    people. We have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in
    better shape than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're
    not getting any younger. Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is
    reserved for those who in time of crisis remain neutral, so I have
    spoken my piece, and thank you, dear reader. It's a beautiful world,
    rain or shine, and there is more to life than hate and war

    ===================
    DISGUSTED? Weeks ago, John Zogby pointed out
    on his website that 47% of democrats don't just disagree with Bush--they
    personally despise him. Among undecideds, Bush's job approval rating is 30%.
    Thus, Zogby gives Kerry a 80-100 point advantage in the electoral college. In
    4 years, we have gone from the largest federal budget surplus we have ever had
    to the largest deficit we have ever had; From the largest job growth we have
    ever had, to the first president since Herbert Hoover to have a net decline of
    jobs during his tenure. Investors have done worse than during the Wategate
    years.

    Bush's Chairman of the Council of Economic advisors believes that outsourcing
    is good for the country (don't laugh, he said it); Certainly, we could find
    someone in Bangalore, India who could do a better job.
    ====================
    1. Social Security Surplus

    BUSH PLEDGES NOT TO TOUCH SOCIAL SECURITY SURPLUS... "We're going to
    keep the promise of Social Security and keep the government from
    raiding the Social Security surplus." [President Bush, 3/3/01] ...BUSH
    SPENDS SOCIAL SECURITY SURPLUS The New York Times reported that "the
    president's new budget uses Social Security surpluses to pay for other
    programs every year through 2013, ultimately diverting more than $1.4
    trillion in Social Security funds to other purposes." [The New York
    Times, 2/6/02]

    2. Patient's Right to Sue

    GOVERNOR BUSH VETOES PATIENTS' RIGHT TO SUE... "Despite his campaign
    rhetoric in favor of a patients' bill of rights, Bush fought such a
    bill tooth and nail as Texas governor, vetoing a bill coauthored by
    Republican state Rep. John Smithee in 1995. He... constantly opposed a
    patient's right to sue an HMO over coverage denied that resulted in
    adverse health effects." [Salon, 2/7/01] ...CANDIDATE BUSH PRAISES
    TEXAS PATIENTS' RIGHT TO SUE... "We're one of the first states that
    said you can sue an HMO for denying you proper coverage... It's time
    for our nation to come together and do what's right for the people.
    And I think this is right for the people. You know, I support a
    national patients' bill of rights, Mr. Vice President. And I want all
    people covered. I don't want the law to supersede good law like we've
    got in Texas." [Governor Bush, 10/17/00] ...PRESIDENT BUSH'S
    ADMINISTRATION ARGUES AGAINST RIGHT TO SUE "To let two Texas
    consumers, Juan Davila and Ruby R. Calad, sue their managed-care
    companies for wrongful denials of medical benefits ‘would be to
    completely undermine' federal law regulating employee benefits,
    Assistant Solicitor General James A. Feldman said at oral argument
    March 23. Moreover, the administration's brief attacked the policy
    rationale for Texas's law, which is similar to statutes on the books
    in nine other states." [Washington Post, 4/5/04]

    3. Tobacco Buyout

    BUSH SUPPORTS CURRENT TOBACCO FARMERS' QUOTA SYSTEM... "They've got
    the quota system in place -- the allotment system -- and I don't think
    that needs to be changed." [President Bush, 5/04] ...BUSH
    ADMINISTRATION WILL SUPPORT FEDERAL BUYOUT OF TOBACCO QUOTAS "The
    administration is open to a buyout." [White House spokeswoman Jeanie
    Mamo, 6/18/04]

    4. North Korea

    BUSH WILL NOT OFFER NUCLEAR NORTH KOREA INCENTIVES TO DISARM... "We
    developed a bold approach under which, if the North addressed our
    long-standing concerns, the United States was prepared to take
    important steps that would have significantly improved the lives of
    the North Korean people. Now that North Korea's covert nuclear weapons
    program has come to light, we are unable to pursue this approach."
    [President's Statement, 11/15/02] ...BUSH ADMINISTRATION OFFERS NORTH
    KOREA INCENTIVES TO DISARM"Well, we will work to take steps to ease
    their political and economic isolation. So there would be -- what you
    would see would be some provisional or temporary proposals that would
    only lead to lasting benefit after North Korea dismantles its nuclear
    programs. So there would be some provisional or temporary efforts of
    that nature." [White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan, 6/23/04]

    5. Abortion

    BUSH SUPPORTS A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE... "Bush said he...favors
    leaving up to a woman and her doctor the abortion question." [The
    Nation, 6/15/00, quoting the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, 5/78] ...BUSH
    OPPOSES A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE "I am pro-life." [Governor Bush,
    10/3/00]

    6. OPEC

    BUSH PROMISES TO FORCE OPEC TO LOWER PRICES... "What I think the
    president ought to do [when gas prices spike] is he ought to get on
    the phone with the OPEC cartel and say we expect you to open your
    spigots...And the president of the United States must jawbone OPEC
    members to lower the price." [President Bush, 1/26/00] ...BUSH REFUSES
    TO LOBBY OPEC LEADERS With gas prices soaring in the United States at
    the beginning of 2004, the Miami Herald reported the president refused
    to "personally lobby oil cartel leaders to change their minds." [Miami
    Herald, 4/1/04]

    7. Iraq Funding

    BUSH SPOKESMAN DENIES NEED FOR ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR THE REST OF
    2004... "We do not anticipate requesting supplemental funding for '04"
    [White House Budget Director Joshua Bolton, 2/2/04] ...BUSH REQUESTS
    ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR IRAQ FOR 2004 "I am requesting that Congress
    establish a $25 billion contingency reserve fund for the coming fiscal
    year to meet all commitments to our troops." [President Bush,
    Statement by President, 5/5/04]

    8. Condoleeza Rice Testimony

    BUSH SPOKESMAN SAYS RICE WON'T TESTIFY AS 'A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE'...
    "Again, this is not her personal preference; this goes back to a
    matter of principle. There is a separation of powers issue involved
    here. Historically, White House staffers do not testify before
    legislative bodies. So it's a matter of principle, not a matter of
    preference." [White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan, 3/9/04]
    ....BUSH ORDERS RICE TO TESTIFY: "Today I have informed the Commission
    on Terrorist Attacks Against the United States that my National
    Security Advisor, Dr. Condoleezza Rice, will provide public
    testimony." [President Bush, 3/30/04]

    9. Science

    BUSH PLEDGES TO ISSUE REGULATIONS BASED ON SCIENCE..."I think we ought
    to have high standards set by agencies that rely upon science, not by
    what may feel good or what sounds good." [then-Governor George W.
    Bush, 1/15/00] ...BUSH ADMINISTRATION REGULATIONS IGNORE SCIENCE "60
    leading scientists—including Nobel laureates, leading medical experts,
    former federal agency directors and university chairs and
    presidents—issued a statement calling for regulatory and legislative
    action to restore scientific integrity to federal policymaking.
    According to the scientists, the Bush administration has, among other
    abuses, suppressed and distorted scientific analysis from federal
    agencies, and taken actions that have undermined the quality of
    scientific advisory panels." [Union of Concerned Scientists, 2/18/04]

    10. Ahmed Chalabi

    BUSH INVITES CHALABI TO STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS...President Bush
    also met with Chalabi during his brief trip to Iraq last Thanksgiving
    [White House Documents 1/20/04, 11/27/03] ...BUSH MILITARY ASSISTS IN
    RAID OF CHALABI'S HOUSE "U.S. soldiers raided the home of America's
    one-time ally Ahmad Chalabi on Thursday and seized documents and
    computers." [Washington Post, 5/20/04]

    11. Department of Homeland Security

    BUSH OPPOSES THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY..."So, creating a
    Cabinet office doesn't solve the problem. You still will have agencies
    within the federal government that have to be coordinated. So the
    answer is that creating a Cabinet post doesn't solve anything." [White
    House spokesman Ari Fleischer, 3/19/02] ...BUSH SUPPORTS THE
    DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY "So tonight, I ask the Congress to
    join me in creating a single, permanent department with an overriding
    and urgent mission: securing the homeland of America and protecting
    the American people." [President Bush, Address to the Nation, 6/6/02]

    12. Weapons of Mass Destruction

    BUSH SAYS WE FOUND THE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION..."We found the

  10. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

[...]

    weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories...for
    those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or
    banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." [President Bush,
    Interview in Poland, 5/29/03] ...BUSH SAYS WE HAVEN'T FOUND WEAPONS OF

  11. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

[...]

  12. ProfWdesk1

    ProfWdesk1 Guest

    You want to make sure you drink a sport drink just before the start ... if it
    is a little strong then your body will tend to hold water rather than send it
    through your system ... in the race ... try for 1 out of 3 stops to be a sport
    drink ... Again, this will slow the process of the water through your system
    .... and keep it around for use a little longer by your body ... The only other
    thing I can think of you should have your blood sugar levels checked to see how
    you tolerate sugar ... Roy, [email protected]

  13. Bear G

    Bear G Guest

    ProfWdesk1 wrote:
    > You want to make sure you drink a sport drink just before the start ... if it
    > is a little strong then your body will tend to hold water rather than send it
    > through your system ...

    I'm not sure about this after my recent experience.

    On the first point you should probably decide on race day when you
    have a sense how hydrated and (physically) nervous you are. I had
    been hydrating heavily the week before, did my normal routine on
    race day, drove the starting point about an hour before the start,
    then hit the portalets twice. And these visits weren't just
    nerves - I was shedding a lot of water. Just before the start I
    drank about half of one of my Accelerade bottles for both
    hydration and to lighten the load in my fanny pack - just like on
    my longest runs - and ended up burning minutes at the first
    portalet. I may have had to stop anyway but drinking add'l fluids
    couldn't have helped.

    On the second point I vehemently disagree - it's better to have
    the water run through your system than to be dehydrated because it
    isn't getting out of your stomach. I followed a hydration
    schedule pretty close to what I used in training (sports drink at
    every stop) but the race mixed it stronger than usual and I think
    that impaired water uptake since the balance was way off. That,
    in turn, was probably a big part of my problems at mile 18.

  14. << drink a sport >>

    Water sports,
    You say?
    Hang by the pool!
    Cavort ~
    Hey, you ~
    What's that,
    Sporting wood?
    Long, or short?
    Radius?

    << 1 out of 3 stops to be a sport
    drink >>

    Pissing behind bushes again?
    Put it back inside,
    Or you're rep[c]orted.

    << water through your system
    .... and keep it around for use a little longer by your body ... >>

    Hold it in...
    Feel good?
    How long can you wait,
    Before letting go....

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  15. << a big part of my problems >>

    Too small?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  16. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    It can take a year for all organs and tissues in the body to get used to
    increased amounts of running. There is a chance your bladder is getting
    irritated by internal friction. Sometimes this causes bleeding and red pee.
    This a common problem in military boot camps where recruits ramp up to
    extreme exercise in just weeks.

    The good news is that 95% of these situations go away after a year of so
    of exercising at high intensity. The other 5% may be real problems that
    only your doctor can tell for sure.

  17. Stanky

    Stanky Guest

    WTF does this idiot come up with this bullshit? Honest to god, what a fucking idiot!