"Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Nowadays, not so fast, but about 55 years ago I was
cycling home from work one evening and a motorist started
to tail me, after a little while
it
Quoted message said:was begining to iritate me and I was just about to stop
and say something when he drew anlongside and shorted at
me that I was travelling at 30 mph, I didn't know what to
say as a response.
Oh, a pissing contest! Nowadays at 50 years old I travel
downhill on a road bike at up to 40 mph with a tail wind in
Leicestershire and 42 mph downhill on rough tarmac roads in
Derbyshire on an mtb. I once rode downhill at 50mph in
Yorkshire. Speeds verified in 2 cases on 2 different bike
computers on my bikes and in the other case with a computer
on a friends mtb. These are easier to use at 40mph than
working it out with a map and stopwatch.
Quoted message said:
Have you noticed that journeys home are always faster than
the journey
out?
Only when I get the route and wind direction to work
in unison.
Quoted message said:which means I had travelled 84 miles in 2 hours 50
minutes, which was an average of (if my arithmetic is up
to date) 29.5 mph. Bearing in mind that the bike was
loaded for a fortnights holiday, self catering and
clothing for that time, primus stove, paraffin, meths,
water container, milk and etc, that wasn't a bad average,
especially as the trip was across the Cotswolds.
And then the alarm clock woke you up and it was a wet Monday
morning ;-)
--
Regards, Pete