First Metric Century

BigUgly

Mar 31, 2007
Did my first metric century today and did most of it myself. Another guy was out with me for awhile but he didn't have the gas this morning so I looped back to the town he lives then carried on my way. Stopped at the 70 km at a little bakery and had a roast beef sandwhich then finished it off. Did not intend it to be a century but I ended up doing 103km. Ran an average speed of 24.6km/h(15.3mp/h) May not be the fasted speed in the world but I'm pretty happy. I did have pretty good conditions too, sunny 21C and 15km/h wind headwind gusting to 35km on the way back. My previous long distance was 90km. I may have pushed the hills to hard though as the backs of my knees where a little tender for the last 5km.

BigUgly said:
Did my first metric century today and did most of it myself. Another guy was out with me for awhile but he didn't have the gas this morning so I looped back to the town he lives then carried on my way. Stopped at the 70 km at a little bakery and had a roast beef sandwhich then finished it off. Did not intend it to be a century but I ended up doing 103km. Ran an average speed of 24.6km/h(15.3mp/h) May not be the fasted speed in the world but I'm pretty happy. I did have pretty good conditions too, sunny 21C and 15km/h wind headwind gusting to 35km on the way back. My previous long distance was 90km. I may have pushed the hills to hard though as the backs of my knees where a little tender for the last 5km.
I once ate a roast beef sandwich in the middle of a flat, mile, century
and when I was 40 miles from done I got real sick to my stomach. I don't know if it was the sandwich or something else but that sucked. It was pan flat and I could barely manage 15 to 17 mph because I was almost doubling over. Nutrition is so important on longer rides.

Good ride U had though.

BigUgly said:
Great job. The next one will be much easier. Now start thinking about a non-metric (imperial?) century--or do you metric guys usually ride double metric centuries as the next step?

For some reason the team I'm on always serves homemade chicken noodle soup at lunch during our century rides. I'm usually not in the mood for hot soup when it's 85+ and sunny outside and I've got 50 miles down with 50 left to go, but it's surprisingly satisfying and plenty salty.

Bro Deal said:
Great job. The next one will be much easier. Now start thinking about a non-metric (imperial?) century--or do you metric guys usually ride double metric centuries as the next step?
I'll be doing a imperial century in August. Hope to have done at least 120k by then. Next year I want to do a double metric.