first metric century :)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dailuggs, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5 hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased with myself

    well i thought it was worth shouting about!

    Tags:

  2. Mattboy

    Mattboy New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2004
    Well done, I am also feelin pretty happy as I did my firsy 50 mile trip earlier, took me 3.25, not that quick but then 3 months ago I didnt own a bike! Still remember that first 5 mile run out and the 2 hours recovery thinkin I had done well!

    I think it will be a while before I can get over the 100 miles so well done again!

    Cheers

    Mattboy

  3. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    > because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5 hours
    > and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big hills at
    > the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased with myself

    What is that in english?

    And why so slow?

    Alan

    > well i thought it was worth shouting about!
    >

    > --

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]senetserver.com...
    >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    >> with myself
    >
    > What is that in english?

    106.86km = 66.39 miles. But then, if you were really
    interested, you could've done your own conversion.

    > And why so slow?

    The speed at which someone rides is relative to his
    abilities, and according to his objectives. Don't you even
    know this? You some sort of newbie?

  5. In news:[email protected],
    Alan Holmes <[email protected]> typed:
    > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    >> with myself
    >
    > What is that in english?

    He wrote it in English.

    > And why so slow?

    Don't be rude. You have yet to get the hang of being polite
    on usenet yet. Please do so.

    Ambrose

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    >> with myself
    >
    > What is that in english?

    106.86km in 5 hours 5secs.

    > And why so slow?

    Why faster?

    Tony

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is that in english?

    You mean in English what? RP, Liverpudlian, Mancunian,
    Cockney? Or did you want Imperial measurements? (As used by
    those older than me who can't grasp something as simple as
    working in units of ten, clue: fingers and thumbs).

    > And why so slow?

    So I'll expect to see you hanging on Lances wheel again this
    year wearing your strip for The Wait At Top club.
    --
    Regards, Pete

  8. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    >> with myself
    >
    > What is that in english?

    8/5 of a mile :)

    > And why so slow?

    because i'd never rode so far in a day, and all the hills! the last 15k i had to climb from sea level to way high, then drop down and do it again 3 times! dont know the actual height, but the easiest hill was 16%

    i could have used the totally flat cycle path but its not as satisfying

    i usually average 26kph, although over an 8k journey i have averaged 36k, which did have a hill init aswell, nothing major but still a drop down to 20 to go up it

    plus ive only had my bike 6 weeks, am aiming for 30kph before i go to uni and hopefully a bit quicker when i leave 3 years later, well thats the plan :)

    dyu mind me asking what speed you ride at? miles or km is fine :)

    cheers to everyone who stood up for my slowness anyway

  9. > What is that in english?

    95400 Saxon poles a day

    (more /usr/share/units.dat | grep axon)

    > And why so slow?

    Sounds a nice day out to me.

    AC

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > cheers to everyone who stood up for my slowness anyway

    It's not particularly slow for a leisure cyclist, and I
    think that term applies to most of us on this NG. Terrain
    and weather make a big difference too, for instance where
    I ride in SE Leicestershire my average may be about 17mph
    (used to be a tad higher but age has slowed me and it's
    not a race anyway) but riding around the Peak district
    this drops to 12.5 mph on the road and into single
    figures off-road.

    My road bike is the only one fitted with a computer and
    while it's a point of interest to see how far and how fast
    plus a gauge to my fitness, which I like to keep on top of,
    at the end of the day the figures are irrelevent to the
    wider world and the true measure of the ride is how much I
    enjoyed it.

    Enjoy your riding and ignore twats.
    --
    Regards, Pete

  11. Fraggle

    Fraggle Guest

    Congrats!

    I did my 1st 100km on Saturday as well! I managed an average
    of 20.4 km/h.

    I managed to work mine so the 1st 50 was uphill against the
    wind, the second downhill with wind behind.

    Of course the wind dropped at the 1/2 way point, and i still
    managed to find a 12% up on the way back!

    fragg

  12. "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> writes:

    > And why so slow?

    Why so insecure?

    -dan

    --
    "please make sure that the person is your friend before
    you confirm"

  13. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    cul, seems like a few of us reached milestones on sat! 1 month and hopefully a 100miler! i always pla my route so the worst road is at the start, and love to end riding on the coast with the hills so i have more time to enjoy it! it was a double milestone for me aswell, firts time i'd totalled 200 miles in a week, this week the aims 248 (400k) but ill probably end up doing less, the wind didnt help today, added half an hour to my usual 2 hour ride so i didnt go that extra 5 miles.

    must be confusing for some this going between miles and k's! it onfuses me sometimes! although i like to know both and it helps me climb those horrible dual carriageway hills thinking what 5/8's of.., and if i drop down 2k in pace how will that affect my time over a mile!

    all good

    must say i dont really post here alot, but get a lot of useful info by searching through previous threads

    Ciao

  14. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Alan Holmes wrote:
    > > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    > >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    > >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    > >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    > >> with myself
    > >
    > > What is that in english?
    > >

    > 106.86km in 5 hours 5secs.
    >
    > > And why so slow?

    5 h is fairly standard for all the Audax 100's I have done,
    most of the field come in at about that time. Well done ;-)

  15. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Alan Holmes wrote:
    > > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    > >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    > >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    > >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    > >> with myself
    > >
    > > What is that in english?
    >
    > 8/5 of a mile :)
    >
    > > And why so slow?
    >
    > because i'd never rode so far in a day, and all the hills!
    > the last 15k i had to climb from sea level to way high,
    > then drop down and do it again 3 times! dont know the
    > actual height, but the easiest hill was 16%
    >
    > i could have used the totally flat cycle path but its not
    > as satisfying
    >
    > i usually average 26kph, although over an 8k journey i
    > have averaged 36k, which did have a hill init aswell,
    > nothing major but still a drop down to 20 to go up it
    >
    > plus ive only had my bike 6 weeks, am aiming for 30kph
    > before i go to uni and hopefully a bit quicker when i
    > leave 3 years later, well thats the plan :)
    >
    > dyu mind me asking what speed you ride at? miles or km
    > is fine :)

    Nowadays, not so fast, but about 55 years ago I was cycling
    home from work one evening and a motorist started to tail
    me, after a little while it was begining to iritate me and I
    was just about to stop and say something when he drew
    anlongside and shorted at me that I was travelling at 30
    mph, I didn't know what to say as a response.

    Have you noticed that journeys home are always faster than
    the journey out?

    On another occassion I was going on holiday YHAing and I was
    going from Ealing to Stow-on-the-Wold, I left home at 2.00
    oclock intending to get there at about 7.00 oclock when I
    would have prepared my evening meal then sat for a while and
    then retired. When I arrived at the hostel the doors were
    closed and there was a queue waiting to entre, the hostels
    normally opened at 5.00 oclock so I was a bit puzzled. I
    asked one of the people why the hostel was not open and I
    was told that it was
    4.50pm when I checked the milage and it was 84 miles, which
    means I had travelled 84 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes,
    which was an average of (if my arithmetic is up to date)
    29.5 mph. Bearing in mind that the bike was loaded for a
    fortnights holiday, self catering and clothing for that
    time, primus stove, paraffin, meths, water container, milk
    and etc, that wasn't a bad average, especially as the trip
    was across the Cotswolds.

    I would doubt that with the restrictions on traffic today
    whether if I was the same age and fitness I would be able to
    make that time.

    > cheers to everyone who stood up for my slowness anyway

    I was being a bit facecious, don't take it to heart!:)-)

    Alan

    > --

  16. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Alan Holmes <[email protected]
    > g4crw.freeserve.co.uk> typed:
    > > "dailuggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> done it, at last, have had to put it off for a month
    > >> because of weather. actual distance was 106.86, in 5
    > >> hours and 5 secs, took it fairly easy cos all the big
    > >> hills at the end, but aim was 20kph so felling pleased
    > >> with myself
    > >
    > > What is that in english?
    >
    > He wrote it in English.

    You may not be aware that this country still measures
    distance in miles!

    > > And why so slow?
    >
    > Don't be rude. You have yet to get the hang of being
    > polite on usenet yet. Please do so.

    It was not rude, you must have a very short fuse!

    Alan

    > Ambrose

  17. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > What is that in english?
    >
    > You mean in English what? RP, Liverpudlian, Mancunian,
    > Cockney? Or did you want Imperial measurements? (As used
    > by those older than me who can't grasp something as simple
    > as working in units of ten, clue: fingers and thumbs).

    Well as I've said in another post, in England distances are
    measured in miles.

    > > And why so slow?
    >
    > So I'll expect to see you hanging on Lances wheel again
    > this year wearing your strip for The Wait At Top club.

    Who is Lance?

    Alan

    > Regards,
    > Pete

  18. In news:[email protected],
    Alan Holmes <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Ambrose Nankivell"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >> He wrote it in English.
    >
    > You may not be aware that this country still measures
    > distance in miles!

    And plenty of English speaking countries don't.

    >>> And why so slow?
    >>
    >> Don't be rude. You have yet to get the hang of being
    >> polite on usenet yet. Please do so.
    >
    > It was not rude, you must have a very short fuse!

    You don't know how you come across. I'm suggesting you try
    and imagine it, because you do have to behave differently on
    usenet to keep it like a conversation.

  19. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 14/6/04 10:02 pm, in article [email protected], "Alan
    Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well as I've said in another post, in England distances
    > are measured in miles.

    And in kilometers as well. Furlongs, chains, poles and
    perches if you really want.

    In fact I prefer kilometers as they make me feel like I'm
    going faster than I probably am when I look at the psycho
    computer...

    ..d

  20. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    > I had travelled 84 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes, which was
    > an average of (if my arithmetic is up to date) 29.5 mph.
    > Bearing in mind that the bike was loaded for a fortnights
    > holiday, self catering and clothing for that time, primus
    > stove, paraffin, meths, water container, milk and etc,
    > that wasn't a bad average, especially as the trip was
    > across the Cotswolds.

    Oh, I remember you. You popped in here a few years ago with
    your ridiculous exploits, impervious to reason, and
    insisted that you really had done this journey at that
    impossible speed.

    You didn't. There neve has been, and probably never will be,
    a human capable of that feat. It's not close enough to
    reality to be remotely plausible.

    Being generous, I suppose it is possible that you simply
    misremembered some aspect (either the distance or the
    time, or the mode of transport!). Either that, or you
    just made the whole thing up. Your call. In any case, it
    didn't happen.

    James