First MTB

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tom Lee, May 7, 2003.

  1. Tom Lee

    Tom Lee Guest

    I want to get started in the sport and commute occasionally to work. I took a trip down to my LBS,
    and they mostly sell Trek and Gary Fisher. In my price range was a Trek 4300 or Gary Fisher Marlin
    (prefer the marlin's geometry). They say they can 'get just about anything' though. I was looking at
    a Giant Iguana before going in there... Any advice on these brands?

    Thanks for your help

    Tags:

  2. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get started in the sport and commute occasionally to work. I took a trip down to my LBS,
    > and they mostly sell Trek and Gary Fisher.
    In
    > my price range was a Trek 4300 or Gary Fisher Marlin (prefer the marlin's geometry). They say they
    > can 'get just about anything' though. I was looking at a Giant Iguana before going in there... Any
    > advice on these brands?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    My suggestion would be to stick with either the Trek of the G.F. It has been a few years since I
    worked at a shop, but if things haven't changed, I would stay away from the price point Giant bikes.
    It was common for the Giant bikes to have very poor quality bearing parts (hubs, headset, bottom
    bracket) compared to bikes from other companies in that price range. If you were going to go with
    the Giant Iguana, I would probably look at the price difference between the Iguana, and the Iguana
    disc. Looking at their web site, it shows that you not only get disc brakes, which are far superior
    to what comes on the standard, but you also get shimano hubs. Consider that if you are going to do
    any amount of riding, you will without a doubt have to buy new wheels with a better hub within a
    couple of seasons, as the hubs on the standard Iguana are, IMHO, doodoo!

    You realy can't go wrong with either the Trek or the G.F.

    Ken Juneau, AK

  3. Todd B

    Todd B Guest

    Also check out the Raleigh M80. My brother just picked up one from a shop in Tucson. Its a 2002 that
    they wanted to move, with upgraded LX shifters, LX fr and rer der, and Avid SD and AD5 brakes for
    $499.00. http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=2&itemid=15 "Tom Lee"
    > I want to get started in the sport and commute occasionally to work. I took a trip down to my LBS,
    > and they mostly sell Trek and Gary Fisher.
    In
    > my price range was a Trek 4300 or Gary Fisher Marlin (prefer the marlin's geometry). They say they
    > can 'get just about anything' though. I was looking at a Giant Iguana before going in there... Any
    > advice on these brands?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

  4. Determined

    Determined Guest

    "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get started in the sport and commute occasionally to work. I took a trip down to my LBS,
    > and they mostly sell Trek and Gary Fisher.
    In
    > my price range was a Trek 4300 or Gary Fisher Marlin (prefer the marlin's geometry). They say they
    > can 'get just about anything' though. I was looking at a Giant Iguana before going in there... Any
    > advice on these brands?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    I just bought a GF Wahoo, a little lower than the Marlin I think. But I've ridden it on pavement and
    some rough trails and it seems to be just fine. Granted I'm so new I don't really know what I'm
    looking for, but it was comfortable, shifted smoothly etc. I was told at the LBS that Trek and GF
    are made by the same co. so he said the bike's quality was comparable.

    det

  5. "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get started in the sport and commute occasionally to work. I took a trip down to my LBS,
    > and they mostly sell Trek and Gary Fisher.
    In
    > my price range was a Trek 4300 or Gary Fisher Marlin (prefer the marlin's geometry). They say they
    > can 'get just about anything' though. I was looking at a Giant Iguana before going in there... Any
    > advice on these brands?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    I suggest the Giant Iguana. But that's only because of the pleasing mental picture it invokes.