First multi-day ride

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by George Karabots, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Hey guys,

    I am planning to do a long ride this summer around 1000Km in
    total, its going to be my first multi-day ride. I have a
    Cannondale H300 which I believe is capable of carrying some
    cargo; I 'll verify on my local shop :) I basically plan to
    stop in towns along the way and rest in campsites or hotels.

    What I need is advice as to what I need to take along for
    the ride, what kind of touring equipment you recommend; i.e.
    Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent, repair equipment, etc.

    thank you in advance,

    George

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    George Karabotsos writes:

    > I am planning to do a long ride this summer around 1000Km
    > in total, its going to be my first multi-day ride. I have
    > a Cannondale H300 which I believe is capable of carrying
    > some cargo; I 'll verify on my local shop :) I basically
    > plan to stop in towns along the way and rest in campsites
    > or hotels.

    > What I need is advice as to what I need to take along for
    > the ride, what kind of touring equipment you recommend;
    > i.e. Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent, repair
    > equipment, etc.

    You might find what you need at:

    http://tinyurl.com/adls http://tinyurl.com/2h3bh

    This is for hotel touring.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > George Karabotsos writes:
    >
    > > I am planning to do a long ride this summer around
    > > 1000Km in total, its going to be my first multi-day
    > > ride. I have a Cannondale H300 which I believe is
    > > capable of carrying some cargo; I 'll verify on my local
    > > shop :) I basically plan to stop in towns along the way
    > > and rest in campsites or hotels.
    >
    > > What I need is advice as to what I need to take along
    > > for the ride, what kind of touring equipment you
    > > recommend; i.e. Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent,
    > > repair equipment, etc.
    >
    > You might find what you need at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/adls http://tinyurl.com/2h3bh
    >
    > This is for hotel touring.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

    Thank you so much Jobst!! Very useful information and very
    inspiring reports!!

    Now I only need to figure out how to use the tools you
    mention :) One thing is for sure I doubt it I 'll be able
    to build my own set of wheels made out of wooden rims :)

    Thanks again,

    George

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    George, from your posts it sounds like you have some
    preparation to do in order to make this a fun experience.
    You should know how to do basic maintenance such as patching
    flats, pumping tires, replacing brke and shifter cables,
    truing a wheels, etc. There might be a class in this sort of
    thing in your area.

    Jobst's packing list is minimalist, but I used it for a two
    week trip to France including a 10 day tour of the Alps. In
    fact my luggage consisted of my bike and my saddlebag. If
    you're not partially disassembling your bike to get to the
    ride, you wont need all of those tools.

    Try a two day ride- out to a hotel somewhere and back, at
    about the same mileage as you're expecting to ride and over
    similar terrain. Just to get the bugs out.

    Let us know how it goes!

  5. "George Karabotsos" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey guys,
    >

    > What I need is advice as to what I need to take along for
    > the ride, what kind of touring equipment you recommend;
    > i.e. Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent, repair
    > equipment, etc.

    Have you looked at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com yet?
    Lots of tour journals there, and you can search on
    equipment lists.

    My first long ride (850 km) is here:
    http://brianhuntley2002.crazyguyonabike.com

    My equipment and packing list is on the 5th page. I didn't
    get into specifics, but my bike was a Specialized Crossroads
    with more comfortable handlebars, my rack (singular) was
    from MEC, my panniers were home-made BikeBuckets, my tent
    was an inexpensive two-man, and my tools are listed. I ended
    up only needing the patch kit and pump on that trip.

  6. George Karabotsos wrote:

    >Hey guys,
    >
    >I am planning to do a long ride this summer around 1000Km
    >in total, its going to be my first multi-day ride. I have
    >a Cannondale H300 which I believe is capable of carrying
    >some cargo; I 'll verify on my local shop :) I basically
    >plan to stop in towns along the way and rest in campsites
    >or hotels.
    >
    >What I need is advice as to what I need to take along for
    >the ride, what kind of touring equipment you recommend;
    >i.e. Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent, repair
    >equipment, etc.
    >
    >thank you in advance,
    >
    >George

    My "beginner's advice" and equipment list is here: http://-
    www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_San_Francisco/Introduction-
    .html#Intro

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com

  7. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "George Karabotsos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thank you so much Jobst!! Very useful information and very
    > inspiring reports!!
    >
    > Now I only need to figure out how to use the tools you
    > mention :) One thing is for sure I doubt it I 'll be able
    > to build my own set of wheels made out of wooden rims :)

    If you are really anxious for feedback after making your own
    list, you could describe your trip and ask for comments on
    the touring cyclist list.
    extremely chatty list, and this is the kind of thing they
    love to comment on. Just remember to take their advice with
    a grain of salt; it's always easier to suggest something to
    add than something to subtract. You could also search the
    archives, since this is a frequent topic.

  8. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    http://www.kenkifer.com is a good site also.

    Brian Huntley wrote:

    > "George Karabotsos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hey guys,
    > >

    > > What I need is advice as to what I need to take along
    > > for the ride, what kind of touring equipment you
    > > recommend; i.e. Bike Mounted Racks, Panniers, tent,
    > > repair equipment, etc.
    > >

    > Have you looked at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com yet?
    > Lots of tour journals there, and you can search on
    > equipment lists.
    >
    > My first long ride (850 km) is here:
    > http://brianhuntley2002.crazyguyonabike.com
    >
    > My equipment and packing list is on the 5th page. I didn't
    > get into specifics, but my bike was a Specialized
    > Crossroads with more comfortable handlebars, my rack
    > (singular) was from MEC, my panniers were home-made
    > BikeBuckets, my tent was an inexpensive two-man, and my
    > tools are listed. I ended up only needing the patch kit
    > and pump on that trip.

  9. George, in regards to hauling stuff... In a recent catalog i
    saw a 'BOB' on sale for about half price. Even on or off the
    road that would be the way to go. Problem is i can't
    remember which one... [and remember when packing ---'less is
    best'.} ~terry~