First OCLV trek

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Behm, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Brad Behm

    Brad Behm Guest

    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale and
    thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on them.

    The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even sure
    if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer, brakes,
    hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.

    If anyone knows what would be a good price for it I'd love to know!

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. Brad Behm wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on them.

    Older plastic Treks had frame durability issues, not sure about this model.

    > The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even
    > sure if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer,
    > brakes, hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.

    Pre-1997 (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace stuff is generally undesirable due to compatibility issues. I have
    an article explaining the details (and some workarounds) at http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.

    Sheldon "Ultegra Is Better" Brown +------------------------------------------+
    | I think that God, in creating man, | somewhat overestimated his ability. | --Oscar Wilde |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on
    them.

    > The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even
    > sure if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer,
    > brakes, hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.
    >
    > If anyone knows what would be a good price for it I'd love to know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Andrew

    As Sheldon said, the pre-'98 OCLVs had durability issues. For '98 and beyond (if I'm recalling
    correctly) they beefed up the bottom bracket and some other areas. I've had OCLV frames since about
    '96. Thank goodness Trek was wonderful about honoring their warranty 'cuz I went through both frame
    repair and replacement. But in '98 they sent me a frame that was noticeably stiffer and beefier in
    certain areas. I never had any problems with that frame for about 30,000 miles -- until I got hit by
    a car. Now that frame is toast.

    It being 2004, I sure don't think I'd want to be on a fast descent on a Trek OCLV frame that pre-
    dates 1998.

    Bob C.

  4. vault

    vault New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2004
    I had a '93 or '94 model year trek 9500 OCLV fs MTB that I had bottom bracket fail on.

  5. You might learn some useful information on this page-

    http://www.chainreaction.com/oclvhistory.htm

    No pictures of the different colors & years though, but I believe you have the age correct (either a
    '96 or '97). The DuraAce 8-speed components are definitely questionable and most likely a source of
    legacy issues down the road, and, since bike warranties are only for the original owner, you have to
    be careful about not paying too much for it.

    You also need to make sure it's the right size. Doesn't matter how good a deal it is, if it doesn't
    fit right.

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on
    them.

    > The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even
    > sure if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer,
    > brakes, hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.
    >
    > If anyone knows what would be a good price for it I'd love to know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Andrew

  6. Mike DeMicco

    Mike DeMicco Guest

    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Pre-1997 (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace stuff is generally undesirable due to compatibility issues. I have
    > an article explaining the details (and some workarounds) at http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.

    I read your page - what incompatibility issues? The new rear Dura-Ace derailleurs have a cable
    position that is compatible with the older Dura- Ace shifters. The other issues are common to any
    older components (i.e., compatibility with new components). It's called planned obsolescence.

    I had a '92 8 speed Dura-Ace system. In my opinion, the shifters were better built than today's
    variety - less cheap plastic used in their construction. The brake levers had a better feel than the
    new 9s Ultegras that replaced them (the Ultegra levers are too fat).

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]

    Mike DeMicco wrote:

    > I read your page - what incompatibility issues?

    Perhaps you should re-read that page more carefully, that's what it's about.

    > The new rear Dura-Ace derailleurs have a cable position that is compatible with the older Dura-
    > Ace shifters.

    Yes, I explain that in some detail on the page referred to.

    > The other issues are common to any older components (i.e., compatibility with new components).
    > It's called planned obsolescence.

    Actually, that's a bum rap. 1984 Dura-Ace STI was a first attempt. As time went on, Shimano found a
    number of ways to improve on the design, starting with 600EX in 1985.

    Shimano went to a _lot_ of trouble to try to find ways to maintain intercompatibility with the
    original 1984 parts while incorporating improvements they developed later on.

    Sheldon "Improvements Aren't The Same As 'Planned Obsolescence'" Brown +------------------------------------------------------------
    +
    | "Shimano's policy was that ten percent of their work | force must be graduate engineers...By the
    | mid-1970's, | Shimano probably had more people working on research and | development than all of
    | their competitors combined... | the (1985) SIS Dura-Ace was the first computer-optimized | rear
    | derailleur...In 1985, Shimano had about 40 percent of the U.S. market...By 1994, Shimano had more
    | than 90 | percent of the U.S. market." | --Frank Berto: "The Dancing Chain" |
    +------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  8. David

    David Guest

    for the frame, from what it sounds like considering the age (pre 1997) look for paying around 200-
    300 (decent price)

    for the components in good shape add another 300-500 so 500-800$ the low end being an excellent deal
    and 800 still being not so bad.

    it all depends on what you want and how much you'd like to pay

    david

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on
    them.

    > The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even
    > sure if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer,
    > brakes, hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.
    >
    > If anyone knows what would be a good price for it I'd love to know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Andrew

  9. Alan Simmons

    Alan Simmons Guest

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on them.

    Just another data point regarding these frames: we have one '96, and two '97 OCLV frames in my
    household, each with many thousands of miles and still going strong. No problems whatsoever.

  10. Sounds like the '95 model. Does it have a silver-grey paint job with red and yellow decals?

    Bruce

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the older OCLV bikes. I'm looking at one for sale
    > and thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on
    them.

    > The bike I'm looking at is the team saturn OCLV carbon and I think it's 96 or 97. I'm not even
    > sure if that's the 5500 or not. It's an 8 speed drivetrain with dura ace cranks, rear derailer,
    > brakes, hubs, headset(1 inch) and seat post.
    >
    > If anyone knows what would be a good price for it I'd love to know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Andrew

  11. Brad Behm

    Brad Behm Guest

    Yep.

    Well it went for $535 on ebay. I guess it was a little too small for my anyway.

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    news:p[email protected]...