First Open Fire Cooking of the Season

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    We're living on our stores as far as food right now because the new
    growing season is about to begin and we've already ordered our 1/4 beef.
    So that means the freezer contents have to be used up and the
    canning shelf emptied.

    DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for campfires,
    roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally cooking.
    Now if you want a real nice chili cook it over an open fire! There is a
    real difference in the taste. We have a tripod for hanging a large pot
    for stews or chilis. The taste is wonderful but keeping an eye on the
    fire is rather a pain sometimes. Anyways, tonight we are cooking on
    the open fire. I'm doing bass in the cast iron fry pan and yes cooking
    on the open fire gives the fish a different flavour. I made a pack of
    camp style potatoes to be tossed onto the grate. DH was supposed to
    pick up mushrooms but didn't so that won't be happening tonight. Bread
    is a quick bread cooked in muffin tins right on the grate served with
    fresh butter (aka unsalted, fresh made butter). I'll likely open up a
    jar of home canned green beans too. Possible dessert will be apple pie
    irons and if DH feels like going back to the house, a little vanilla ice
    cream.

    The fire is blazing so it needs to die down to the good coals. The food
    is ready to go so in another 40 min or so I can start cooking. We'll
    eat dinner by the campfire listening to the water and we'll spend the
    evening hours star gazing.

    Tags:

  2. BOB

    BOB Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    :: :: DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for campfires,
    :: roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally
    cooking.

    Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over a
    fire (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7 to
    8 pound pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's day.
    The weekend after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of
    corned beef.

    What have you been waiting for?

    BOB
    going out to check the fire for the ribeyes in a few

    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  3. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over a fire
    > (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7 to 8 pound
    > pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's day. The weekend
    > after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of corned beef.
    >
    > What have you been waiting for?

    Doesn't it depend on climate? ;-)

    Around here, I'm just starting to think about getting the grill ready for
    the season (Mid Atlantic). I imagine in warmer climates, like Florida, the
    season never ends, while further north than me the thought of outdoor
    cooking hasn't occurred to a lot of people yet.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    BOB wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    > :: :: DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for campfires,
    > :: roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally
    > cooking.
    >

    > Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over a
    > fire (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7 to
    > 8 pound pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's day.
    > The weekend after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of
    > corned beef.
    >
    > What have you been waiting for?

    Well, it's always nice if you wait for the snow to get off the firepit;)

    > BOB
    > going out to check the fire for the ribeyes in a few

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:42:21 -0400, BOB wrote:

    > What have you been waiting for?

    LOL

    Sheesh, patches... you let a little snow get in your way?

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    sf wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:42:21 -0400, BOB wrote:
    >

    >> What have you been waiting for?

    > LOL
    >
    > Sheesh, patches... you let a little snow get in your way?

    Yep sometimes :( It can be a royal pain but what can you do?

  7. Default User

    Default User Guest

    BOB wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    > :: :: DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for campfires,
    > :: roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally
    > cooking.
    >

    > Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over a
    > fire (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7
    > to 8 pound pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's
    > day. The weekend after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of
    > corned beef.

    It was so warm in St. Louis this winter that I used the Weber kettle or
    smoker a couple times month for something or the other.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  8. BOB

    BOB Guest

    wff_ng_7 wrote:
    :: " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::: Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over
    a fire
    ::: (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7 to
    8 pound
    ::: pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's day. The
    weekend
    ::: after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of corned beef.
    :::
    ::: What have you been waiting for?
    ::
    :: Doesn't it depend on climate? ;-)

    Not really (well, to some it does), where's Harry D. Oh, yeah, he's
    up there in Calgary with a fire going just about every week. It was
    below freezing a couple of times when I fired up a pit, just so I
    could smoke some cheese without melting it. Yes, we do get freezing
    weather here in paradise.

    BOB
    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  9. BOB

    BOB Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    :: BOB wrote:
    ::
    ::: ~patches~ wrote:
[...]

    I'd post some pictures of friends with their smokers going IN THE
    SNOW, but somebody would probably steal them. '-)

    BOB
    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  10. BOB

    BOB Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    :: sf wrote:
    ::
    ::: On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:42:21 -0400, BOB wrote:
    :::
    :::
    :::: What have you been waiting for?
    :::
    :::
    ::: LOL
    :::
    ::: Sheesh, patches... you let a little snow get in your way?
    ::
    :: Yep sometimes :( It can be a royal pain but what can you do?

    Light the pit. Fire + snow = melted snow (water). I'd post pictures
    (not mine) but they might get stolen.

    BOB
    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  11. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    BOB wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    > :: BOB wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: ~patches~ wrote:
    > ::::::: DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for
    > campfires,
    > ::::: roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally
    > cooking.
    > :::
    > :::
    > ::: Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over
    > ::: fire (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two
    > ::: 8 pound pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's
    > day.
    > ::: The weekend after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of
    > ::: corned beef.
    > :::
    > ::: What have you been waiting for?
    > :::
    > ::
    > :: Well, it's always nice if you wait for the snow to get off the
    > firepit;)
    > ::
    > ::: BOB
    > ::: going out to check the fire for the ribeyes in a few
    >
    > I'd post some pictures of friends with their smokers going IN THE
    > SNOW, but somebody would probably steal them. '-)
    >
    > BOB

    Oh Bob, I know what you mean! I had that happen just recently ;) Snow
    is still a possibility and frost an almost given. I sure wish the warm
    weather would get here. That way I could do a lot more cooking outside.

    --
    I'm on yahoo groups :) Have you yahooed today?

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    BOB wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    > :: sf wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:42:21 -0400, BOB wrote:
    > :::
    > :::
    > :::: What have you been waiting for?
    > :::
    > :::
    > ::: LOL
    > :::
    > ::: Sheesh, patches... you let a little snow get in your way?
    > ::
    > :: Yep sometimes :( It can be a royal pain but what can you do?
    >
    > Light the pit. Fire + snow = melted snow (water). I'd post pictures
    > (not mine) but they might get stolen.
    >
    > BOB

    My method for lighting the pit: take a bunch of junk mail and put under
    brush. Light the junk mail which will start the brush burning. Add
    larger pieces. This method works well online and off ;)

    --
    I'm on yahoo groups :) Have you yahooed today?

  13. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > Oh Bob, I know what you mean! I had that happen just recently ;) Snow
    > is still a possibility and frost an almost given. I sure wish the warm
    > weather would get here. That way I could do a lot more cooking outside.

    You live in my neighbourhood Patches. I have pictures that I tool last year
    on April 12. My lawn tractor was covered in snow. We had about 6 inches of
    wet, heavy snow snow. I sure was glad that I was retired and had nowhere I
    had to be that day. I tried to clear the driveway with the snowblower by the
    snow was too wet and heavy. It just clogged up the chute on the blower. I
    stayed home that day. It was gone the next day.

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >

    >>Oh Bob, I know what you mean! I had that happen just recently ;) Snow
    >>is still a possibility and frost an almost given. I sure wish the warm
    >>weather would get here. That way I could do a lot more cooking outside.

    > You live in my neighbourhood Patches. I have pictures that I tool last year
    > on April 12. My lawn tractor was covered in snow. We had about 6 inches of
    > wet, heavy snow snow. I sure was glad that I was retired and had nowhere I
    > had to be that day. I tried to clear the driveway with the snowblower by the
    > snow was too wet and heavy. It just clogged up the chute on the blower. I
    > stayed home that day. It was gone the next day.

    Doesn't that just tick you off? Here you being retired and nothing to
    do could have meant you could have spent the day using the riding mower.
    Instead the lawn was covered in snow. In that case what I do is
    either use the leaf sucker upper or the snow blower or a hot headed
    neighbour to get rid of the snow. You can toss boiling water out but
    that just is a real pain after the first couple of kettles full. Then I
    fire up that lawn mower and let her go :) HTH

    --

  15. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:12:19 -0400, " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >wff_ng_7 wrote:
    >:: " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >::: Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over
    >a fire
    >::: (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two 7 to
    >8 pound
    >::: pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's day. The
    >weekend
    >::: after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of corned beef.
    >:::
    >::: What have you been waiting for?
    >::
    >:: Doesn't it depend on climate? ;-)
    >
    >Not really (well, to some it does), where's Harry D. Oh, yeah, he's
    >up there in Calgary with a fire going just about every week. It was
    >below freezing a couple of times when I fired up a pit, just so I
    >could smoke some cheese without melting it. Yes, we do get freezing
    >weather here in paradise.
    >
    >BOB

    I missed a few days in January not consecutively, eh, Bob -just hated
    to put my K through the punishment.

    Harry

  16. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:13:59 -0400, " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >~patches~ wrote:
    >:: BOB wrote:
    >::
    >::: ~patches~ wrote:
    >::::::: DH cleaned out the fire pit yesterday. We use it for
    >campfires,
    >::::: roasting marshmallow for the younger kids, and occasionally
    >cooking.
    >:::
    >:::
    >::: Huh? This is the 100th day of the year. I've cooked outside over
    >::: fire (or in a smoker) probably 3 to 5 times each week. I had two
    >::: 8 pound pork butts smoking over a 12 pound brisket on New Year's
    >day.
    >::: The weekend after St. Patrick's day, I smoked about 20 pounds of
    >::: corned beef.
    >:::
    >::: What have you been waiting for?
    >:::
    >::
    >:: Well, it's always nice if you wait for the snow to get off the
    >firepit;)
    >::
    >::: BOB
    >::: going out to check the fire for the ribeyes in a few
    >
    >I'd post some pictures of friends with their smokers going IN THE
    >SNOW, but somebody would probably steal them. '-)
    >
    >BOB

    There's one of mine [covered in snow] on the K Forum. I always clean
    the up before lighting up, though.

    Harry

  17. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > > You live in my neighbourhood Patches. I have pictures that I tool last year
    > > on April 12. My lawn tractor was covered in snow. We had about 6 inches of
    > > wet, heavy snow snow. I sure was glad that I was retired and had nowhere I
    > > had to be that day. I tried to clear the driveway with the snowblower by the
    > > snow was too wet and heavy. It just clogged up the chute on the blower. I
    > > stayed home that day. It was gone the next day.

    > Doesn't that just tick you off? Here you being retired and nothing to
    > do could have meant you could have spent the day using the riding mower.

    Hmmmmm....... it usually takes me 10 minutes to clear the driveway with the snow
    blower. It takes close to two hours to cut the lawn on the lawn tractor, and then
    there is all the edging. My routine has me heading to the Y every morning during
    the week. I can skip that if it

    > Instead the lawn was covered in snow. In that case what I do is
    > either use the leaf sucker upper or the snow blower or a hot headed
    > neighbour to get rid of the snow. You can toss boiling water out but
    > that just is a real pain after the first couple of kettles full. Then I
    > fire up that lawn mower and let her go :) HTH

    If the snow is too wet and sticky for the snow blower a leaf blower isn't going to
    do much for it. It was warm enough that if I really had to, I suppose I could
    have gone out with the garden hose and just sprayed it down with cold water.