First OW Swim

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Cam Wilson, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    just got back from my first open water swim tonight - i *loved* it. only did about 400-500m, but i
    was mostly practising swimming straight without a clear pool with lines on the bottom to guide me!

    interesting how one can swim through pockets of really warm and then really cold water out there.
    funny how i felt even more relaxed in the bay than at the pool... i guess because i had a large area
    all to myself, no worries of other swimmers in my path. the length of the swim area is roughly 250m
    (likely more), so i'll get in some quality long swims back and forth along that.

    a nice beach along the bay which is quite close to home. lots of great scenery on the beach...
    nudge nudge.

    i'll be back,

    Cam

    --
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

    Tags:

  2. Hey Cam...

    I'm doing my first open water swim tonght after work. Totally looking to it but have some
    trepidations for a few reasons. 1) Never swam with a wetsuit and not sure how I'll like that; 2) e.
    coli tends to pop up in the water in Lake Michigan along Chicago's coast during hot days like today.
    But I'll survive to tell about it tomorrow (I hope!!)

    Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > just got back from my first open water swim tonight - i *loved* it. only did about 400-500m, but i
    > was mostly practising swimming straight without a clear pool with lines on the bottom to guide me!
    >
    > interesting how one can swim through pockets of really warm and then really cold water out there.
    > funny how i felt even more relaxed in the bay than at the pool... i guess because i had a large
    > area all to myself, no worries of other swimmers in my path. the length of the swim area is
    > roughly 250m (likely more), so i'll get in some quality long swims back and forth along that.
    >
    > a nice beach along the bay which is quite close to home. lots of great scenery on the beach...
    > nudge nudge.
    >
    > i'll be back,
    >
    > Cam

  3. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Joel
    Markovitz) wrote:

    > Hey Cam...
    >
    > I'm doing my first open water swim tonght after work. Totally looking to it but have some
    > trepidations for a few reasons. 1) Never swam with a wetsuit and not sure how I'll like that; 2)
    > e. coli tends to pop up in the water in Lake Michigan along Chicago's coast during hot days like
    > today. But I'll survive to tell about it tomorrow (I hope!!)

    yikes, watch out for the e. coli! not fun.

    i've never tried a wetsuit. i'll be interested in hearing how that goes for you. have fun!

    Cam

    --
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

  4. Bill Wallace

    Bill Wallace Guest

    Warm areas = whale pee

    Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > just got back from my first open water swim tonight - i *loved* it. only did about 400-500m, but i
    > was mostly practising swimming straight without a clear pool with lines on the bottom to guide me!
    >
    > interesting how one can swim through pockets of really warm and then really cold water out there.
    > funny how i felt even more relaxed in the bay than at the pool... i guess because i had a large
    > area all to myself, no worries of other swimmers in my path. the length of the swim area is
    > roughly 250m (likely more), so i'll get in some quality long swims back and forth along that.
    >
    > a nice beach along the bay which is quite close to home. lots of great scenery on the beach...
    > nudge nudge.
    >
    > i'll be back,
    >
    > Cam

  5. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <c63b[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bill Wallace) wrote:

    > Warm areas = whale pee

    in a bay in the centre of an inland city?

    --

  6. Joel Markovitz wrote:

    > Hey Cam...
    >
    > I'm doing my first open water swim tonght after work. Totally looking to it but have some
    > trepidations for a few reasons. 1) Never swam with a wetsuit and not sure how I'll like that; 2)
    > e. coli tends to pop up in the water in Lake Michigan along Chicago's coast during hot days like
    > today. But I'll survive to tell about it tomorrow (I hope!!)

    Drink gallons of water after, all day.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway