First post - another fitness campaign- HR monitor - rollers

idler

Dec 29, 2005
After a long break I've decided it's high time to get to my bum back on the bike (while I can still hoist a leg over the cross bar). This is a process I've been through before with varying success but I wouldn't mind some input from the forum.

The board outline of where I'm at is as follows, I'm 49, a guy, about 20kg over my playing weight, non cycling background but love the sport, in the past have done the Bay in Day thing and last year did the Great Vic. This time out I want to get some weight off and sign on for these day rides on a more regular basis.

I'm using a set of Minoura rollers to get myself going again, now up to 30mins (that's after walking the dog for 50mins). In the past I've combined the rollers with a HR monitor, the HR monitor has since expired, the question of wether it's worth replacing is one I'd like an opinion on. Also the on value of rollers, how does say, 30mins spinning on them equate to road time? I know I could just head off on of my old rides and compare my time and distress level but I'm reluctant to suit up in my current condition.

Any tips on training, diet, bike fashions for fatties etc would be most welcome.

Just get on that bike and ride...outdoors.

Some of us have been through the exact same thing and I for one have never looked back. 30 mins spinning does not even compare to 30 mins on the road with the weather factor, hills and road surface etc. Also who cares what condition you are in, most NORMAL people will see you as someone who is trying to get fit/healthier and as time goes by will see that happen to you.

Get out there and enjoy the rewards.

Skull

ps....I have a polar725 and its great.

Skull said:
Just get on that bike and ride...outdoors.

Some of us have been through the exact same thing and I for one have never looked back. 30 mins spinning does not even compare to 30 mins on the road with the weather factor, hills and road surface etc. Also who cares what condition you are in, most NORMAL people will see you as someone who is trying to get fit/healthier and as time goes by will see that happen to you.

Get out there and enjoy the rewards.

Skull

ps....I have a polar725 and its great.

Yeah Gavan... Just Do It

Started riding 2 years ago, 57 years old.
Lost 22kg
blood pressure dropped 25 points
stopped hypertension medication

If you are starting out let it evolve. There is so much to take in with serious cycling that all your time will be wasted getting info and no time left to ride. You will work out the solutions to the problems as they arise. Find a good bike shop with staff who ride, ask questions in shop , here, other riders. For instance many ppl have the idea that lycra knicks are a "pose". After you have had heaps of chafing and rash the worry about what other ppl think will disappear and your comfort will come first.

Find a group to ride with socially who are about your ability and speed. The quicker and more experienced ppl will help.

Use the rollers for wet, hot weather or when little time.
If you are going to replace HRM have a good idea of what you want to do with, and how to interpret the data.
Riding for fitness and riding for weight loss are different.

Good luck
Hugh

Thanks for the positive advice Hugh, of course your correct in saying that weight loss doesn't equal fitness but getting some weight off will get me headed in the right direction. The rollers are no substitute for hills and wind but I do like the challenge of staying upright on them, still tossing up re the HRM but more than likely I will get another one.

Thanks again for your post Hugh.

All the best.

Gav.

idler said:
After a long break I've decided it's high time to get to my bum back on the bike (while I can still hoist a leg over the cross bar). This is a process I've been through before with varying success but I wouldn't mind some input from the forum.

The board outline of where I'm at is as follows, I'm 49, a guy, about 20kg over my playing weight, non cycling background but love the sport, in the past have done the Bay in Day thing and last year did the Great Vic. This time out I want to get some weight off and sign on for these day rides on a more regular basis.

I'm using a set of Minoura rollers to get myself going again, now up to 30mins (that's after walking the dog for 50mins). In the past I've combined the rollers with a HR monitor, the HR monitor has since expired, the question of wether it's worth replacing is one I'd like an opinion on. Also the on value of rollers, how does say, 30mins spinning on them equate to road time? I know I could just head off on of my old rides and compare my time and distress level but I'm reluctant to suit up in my current condition.

Any tips on training, diet, bike fashions for fatties etc would be most welcome.

Ride up Arthurs Seat Rd once a week. Use this to gauge fitness improvements.*

Eat well, wear what works for you & ride, ride, ride.....

*Warning, could actually cause onset of sudden undetected cardiac problems, to be undertaken at own risk or under medical supervision. :eek: :p

Bikesoiler said:
Ride up Arthurs Seat Rd once a week. Use this to gauge fitness improvements.* :eek: :p
A while back a, good while mind you I used to do a Portsea and back from my place, made it a 70k ride, occasionally I'd go via Arthurs Seat via Moorooduc Rd and was eventually getting over it ok (must compare the gearing on that old old bike to the old bike I'm on now).... Is Arthurs Seat Rd the one that snakes up under the chair lift? If it is I've never road it....might make it a goal. Thanks for the tip B'soiler.