First post / intro :-)

LOOKneuro

Sep 11, 2014
Hello all!

I am excited to make my first post here on your forum - or on ANY cycling forum, for that matter. ... mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it! ...

Last year I discovered cycling, and I bought an inexpensive hybrid - Jamis Coda Sport. The more I rode, the more I just wanted to go faster and faster. I reached a decision point about a new bike, and wasn't sure about putting that level of investment into it, but my amazing wife took the step and did it for me. A couple of months ago, she bought me a LOOK 586 SL. (see avatar) I have been loving it!!

I live in western IL. Most of my rides are in the 35-41 mile range. I resist the urge to do more than 3 of these a week, as I push pretty hard when I do it, so I need a recovery day in between.

I am also excited to learn more about increasing speed. I am not much looking to ride farther - but to ride my current distances faster. I bought clipless and shoes, but they really bothered my knees, to the tune of about 3 weeks off of cycling to treat and recover.

I'm also looking to expand my temperature range so I can ride longer into the fall and earlier in the spring.

Anyway, it will be great to get to know some of you, learn a lot, and contribute something of value too if I can. :)

Quick question - when and how will I be able to edit my signature?

Blessings!

You should have a fitter check your cleat position on your shoes. A bad cleat set-up can cause knee pain. You also may need pedals (or cleats in some pedal systems) that offer more float. Did you check your seat height after installing the new pedals and cleats? Cleats add a centimeter or two to your leg extension on the pedals, and that sometimes causes knee or hip pain. Clipless pedals help most cyclists avoid knee problems, but they have to be set correctly.