First Power Tap Ride 2.4

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by kopride, Apr 29, 2007.

1. kopride

kopride Member

I just finally broke down and bought a PT 2.4. Wow, the data is incredible. Anyone know how to copy the graph so I can post it? Very interesting. I averaged 199 Watts for a 2 hour ride in SE PA. Now I have to start coming up with a plan so I will look at the Coggan and Stern sites.

Tags:

2. djg21

djg21 New Member

Where did you find one?

I ordered one over the winter for my new bike. I checked into the status of the order last week, and I was told that the SL 2.4s are backordered for at least another 8-10 weeks. I called Saris, and it confirmed the backorder, and explained that it has encountered a "supplier problem."

I want to do business with my LBS, and I've already made a substantial up-front paymant so that the uint could be special-ordered for me. If there is a wholesaler on this board who has one in stock (32-hole hub), and who is willing to sell to a shop in upstate NY, I'd love to hear about it.

3. kopride

kopride Member

Bicycle Therapy in Philadelphia is my LBS. The owner gave me his own that had been on order for a while. He sold me a Lightspeed (which is awesome) last spring and spec'd it with Cane Creek wheels. (I have had good experience with Cane Creek stuff on my mountain bike and it looked great.) The rear hub of the wheel has been an ongoing problem (it freezes) and I was actually riding with the owner's dura ace wheel (also awesome) for the better part of a year while Cane Creek investigated the bearing problem. When I got the wheel back this spring, it started freezing again. At this point, I figured if I needed a new hub, I might as well upgrade to a Power Tap unit. My LBS is great and the owner just goes the extra mile so he put me first in line to fix my longstanding hub issue.

So far, it works extremely well. I have only two rides on it but it has not missed a beat. The software looks good as well. It does break down activities fairly quickly (stopping at a light for a minute will break the ride in half) so that you have to merge the various parts of your ride when you download. It took me about ten minutes to figure out how to do it. I think there is a way to reset it so it is tuned to your HRM and will keep going during these pauses. Also in Kilos so that is taking some time to get used to.

Mine is a 28 hole hub.

4. nrhorwitz

nrhorwitz New Member

When PowerTap starts distributing the new batch of wheels around late May or early June, it's expected to be a very solid product (without data drops) so If I were you, I'd be a little patient just that you won't have any additional problems later on.

5. Phbraun

Phbraun New Member

Will there be a hardware or software fix for those of us who already have a unit and are experiencing data drops?

6. kopride

kopride Member

I did a one hour TT in blustery weather (Northeast wind) to set my benchmarks. Tested at 255 (including some traffic lights and stop signs) M-78.01 kgs and age 41. I hope to improve on these numbers. It is still early in the season in SE Pa and we had one of the rainiest Aprils ever. Most of my riding has been indoors and motivation is hard for me there.

Any tips on boosting those numbers so that I can ride a few crits as a Cat 5 with some self respect at the end of the summer would be greatly appreciated. I have about ten more pounds to drop before I get into real racing shape as well.

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

There's quite a lot of info on this site about boosting your power - everything from tempo to VO2max work (and above), so have a good look around! Of course, at the blatant risk of self-promotion, and seen as you previously mentioned us, there's also coaching! shout me at [email protected]

ric

8. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Just curious how reliable is this rumor ?? Which model are you referring to ? I would buy one if I knew I wasn't going to be having to send my wheel back to Saris on a regular basis.

9. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Let us all hope it will be late May. And all those beautifull SL 2.4 are problem free :D
    I am already waiting more than a month for my Zipp 404 with a powertap sl 2.4

10. gogoturtle

gogoturtle New Member

Saris was having some problems with QC coming out of their supplier. This is supposed to be resolved and the 2.4 product should be rock-solid going forward. I just received mine back (it had the dropout problem) and it has worked perfectly since.

11. nrhorwitz

nrhorwitz New Member

Yup, that's exactly what I've been hearing from cyclists who have bought PowerTap 2.4 through my website. Some of them have returned it for some repairs and it's working just great right now.

This leads me to believe that any new wheels after May should be really solid.

12. DesFlurane

DesFlurane New Member

Are you not using Cyclingpeaks? You shouldn't have to merge any single ride files just stopping at lights!
    I ride to work, about 20miles, with plenty of lights and there is a break in data at lights but not as far as the download is concerned.
    Just splits the ride home into a separate file, which is not surpising as it's 11 hours later;-)

13. kopride

kopride Member

No, I have been using the supplied software, but I plan to try cycling peaks. The supplied software breaks the ride up into "activities" and then you just merge the data into one ride when it is loaded up. It really is not a big problem once you understand the function. My geuss is that I can also reset the setting so that it allows a longer gap before splitting it into activities, ie. two minutes should do it. Or, simply connect it to the heart rate monitor. It also allows storage of intervals, and I have not checked whether the use of the interval function changes this default time. My interval did show the full hour time trial so I either didn't stop long enough at any lights for it to split the interval into separate activites, or it overrides the function and gives you a true interval, lights and all.

Overall, the device seems like a great product and I don't appear to have any real problems that reading the manual carefully can't fix. For those considering a power meter, it looks neat on the bike without any wires and seems to work great.

14. typ993

typ993 New Member

Here's the word from Saris as posted on the Wattage list:

Saris also said they have quite a backlog of hubs to work through. They're reporting about a 6 week backlog.

15. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Good news they have found the root of the problems. :)

But I have to have my SL 2.4 within six weeks!!! I am going to my event of the year 2007 in six seeks! I want to ride La Marmotte with a powermeter!!

16. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

I feel your pain... now that the problem seems to be fixed, I would love one before my big ride in early July, but that may be wishful thinking. On the other hand, competitivecylist.com says they have them in stock, but I'm not sure if they are the newer hubs ???

Just curious PaulMD, are you planning on using your Zipp 404s as everyday wheels ? I was considering 303s (or HED Jet 50s) with a Powertap SL 2.4 and have heard various opinions regarding them for everyday use.

17. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Early July I also have my big ride, la Marmotte. I hope to collect power data from that ride. Three weeks before La Marmotte I will go on vacation to the French Alps, so I hope to test the kit before I go. After la marmotte I will focus on short timetrials (6-20km).

I have ordered the 404 wheelset with powertap sl 2.4 to use it as an all day wheelset for training, long rides in alps and ardennes plus the timetrials (I already have the wheelcover).

A lot of rim choices came to my mind: Mavic CXP 33, Niobium, Zipp 303, Hed Jet 50, Hed Jet 60, Cosmic Carbone SL. Because I am going for only one wheelset with a powermeter I have choosen for the zipp 404. It's good enough to do all my rides on it and the aerodynamics are very good.