First proper fall

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Thomas, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Hey all,

    Well, nine months into commuting the busy streets of London, and I finally come off properly. Going
    too fast round a corner on Buckingham Palace Road, back wheel went underneath me and I went *splat*.

    Nothing too bad, elbow and knee have a couple of nasty gashes on them, a couple of fingers are the
    worse for wear, and I'll need a new helmet (not to mention my front light smashing *grrr*), but I
    think it's my confidence that's taken the biggest knock.

    Most irritating, I was just settling into new speeds on the nice new bike.

    Tom.

    Tags:

  2. Thomas wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > Well, nine months into commuting the busy streets of London, and I finally come off properly.
    > Going too fast round a corner on Buckingham Palace Road, back wheel went underneath me and I went
    > *splat*.
    >
    > Nothing too bad, elbow and knee have a couple of nasty gashes on them, a couple of fingers are the
    > worse for wear, and I'll need a new helmet (not to mention my front light smashing *grrr*), but I
    > think it's my confidence that's taken the biggest knock.
    >
    > Most irritating, I was just settling into new speeds on the nice new bike.
    >
    > Tom.

    Drain cover or yellow lines? It's amazing how little grip racing tyres, especially certain
    Specialized kevlar models, have on road markings - I've had the back of the bike slide a couple of
    feet sideways on wet roads. Makes you ride very gingerly afterwards!

  3. Shavydave

    Shavydave Guest

    "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip man fell off>

    Unlucky mate,

    If Mr Hamilton can ride a tour with a busted collarbone, I reckon you'll be fine.

    FWIW, the best times to fall off are when schollgirls are around to compound the embarressment.

    Hope that you get well soon.

    If I think I'm going to crash when I'm going round a corner, I lean a little bit harder, at least if
    you do come off then, you can say that you were giving it some.

  4. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thomas wrote:
    >
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > Well, nine months into commuting the busy streets of London, and I
    finally
    > > come off properly. Going too fast round a corner on Buckingham Palace
    Road,
    > > back wheel went underneath me and I went *splat*.
    > >
    > > Nothing too bad, elbow and knee have a couple of nasty gashes on them, a couple of fingers are
    > > the worse for wear, and I'll need a new helmet
    (not to
    > > mention my front light smashing *grrr*), but I think it's my confidence that's taken the biggest
    > > knock.
    > >
    > > Most irritating, I was just settling into new speeds on the nice new
    bike.

    > > Tom.
    > >

    > Drain cover or yellow lines? It's amazing how little grip racing tyres, especially certain
    > Specialized kevlar models, have on road markings - I've had the back of the bike slide a couple of
    > feet sideways on wet roads. Makes you ride very gingerly afterwards!

    Heya,

    Took a (rather ginger) look at the spot this morning - think I went over a couple of manhole covers.
    Most irritating part of the ride was the pain of bumps travelling up my arm to my elbow. No fair,
    I'm just getting good at doing this every day :)

    Tom.

  5. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Thomas wrote: