First Puncture for 2005

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Parbs, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    I'd like to claim the first puncture for the new year, sometime between 1:30 and 2 am, crossing the Harbour Bridge cyclepath. Some
    bastards had smashed glass bottles all over the place, fahn drunk pedestrians.

    After initially thinking I wouldn't bother carrying a spare tube (wasn't expecting to get a puncture riding on the road with DH
    tyres) I relented not wishing to taunt the puncture gods. Found a nice quite spot, free from spew, glass and other detritus of the
    evening; tube - check, tyre levers - check, 15mm spanner - check, pump, - ??. Mind searches back - it's sitting on the garage floor
    BUGGER. I walk forlornly through the city to catch a train home.

    Happy New Year, hope everyone has a good one.

    Parbs

    Tags:

  2. "Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'd like to claim the first puncture for the new year, sometime between

    1:30 and 2 am, crossing the Harbour Bridge cyclepath. Some
    > bastards had smashed glass bottles all over the place, fahn drunk

    pedestrians.

    > After initially thinking I wouldn't bother carrying a spare tube (wasn't

    expecting to get a puncture riding on the road with DH
    > tyres) I relented not wishing to taunt the puncture gods. Found a nice

    quite spot, free from spew, glass and other detritus of the
    > evening; tube - check, tyre levers - check, 15mm spanner - check, pump, -

    ??. Mind searches back - it's sitting on the garage floor
    > BUGGER. I walk forlornly through the city to catch a train home.
    >
    > Happy New Year, hope everyone has a good one.
    >
    > Parbs

    My first ride was a bit better.
    A friend of mine is in charge of commissioning a new bore system to supply
    water to a power station. The overflow from the tanks has made it's own
    creek and he needs to know if increasing the flow might damage any
    properties so we spent four hours exploring the bush to follow the water
    course through mine sites and farms to where it joins up with the main river
    system. I think we're the first people to follow the local river to it's
    source. (Doctor Livingston I presume!) Had to carry our bikes though some
    Blackberry bushs and over some fences but no punctures.

    Marty

  3. Are there no servos in that area where you could have pumped up your tyre?

    "Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'd like to claim the first puncture for the new year, sometime between
    > 1:30 and 2 am, crossing the Harbour Bridge cyclepath. Some
    > bastards had smashed glass bottles all over the place, fahn drunk
    > pedestrians.
    >
    > After initially thinking I wouldn't bother carrying a spare tube (wasn't
    > expecting to get a puncture riding on the road with DH
    > tyres) I relented not wishing to taunt the puncture gods. Found a nice
    > quite spot, free from spew, glass and other detritus of the
    > evening; tube - check, tyre levers - check, 15mm spanner - check, pump, -
    > ??. Mind searches back - it's sitting on the garage floor
    > BUGGER. I walk forlornly through the city to catch a train home.
    >
    > Happy New Year, hope everyone has a good one.
    >
    > Parbs

  4. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Yes, Mrs Parbs, it's a beautiful baby puncture! Would you like your picture in the paper?

    Is that an omen? What does your horoscope say?

    M "stay-at-home" H

  5. giantbike

    giantbike New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    I too had my first puncture of the year right on the first day of the year when riding on the dreadful and debris infested breakdown lane on the M5 :( I spent the whole time on dodging broken glass and bits and pieces of tyres and whatever you named it everywhere,yet still couldn't avoid that dreadful moment of fustration when finding one of the tyres is losing air rapidly.