First Race entry question

Argos

Jul 20, 2010
I've got my first race this weekend. It is a criterium 30min plus two .9 mile laps. I had the option to enter cat 4/5 or masters over 45. It was only $5 extra so I entered both. I figured the more experience the better. I am thinking that may be a mistake. Any suggestions?
The over 45 is first and has only about 10 racers, one of which I noticed was also entered in cat 1/2. The second race for me would be about 90 minutes later, the cat 4/5 which has about 25 racers entered. Any help is appreciated.
Also any quick clip in tips for the start?

Good on ya for entering your first crit. It's gonna be fast, probably faster than you realize but you've gotta start paying dues somewhere. Here's a few thoughts:

- The first three to four laps will be ridiculously fast before things settle down. Many first time crit riders will get popped during those first few laps thinking there's no way they can hold that kind of pace. But the pace almost always slows down and gives folks a chance to recover before the final furious laps which are often as fast as the first few. IOW, be well warmed up and ready to go really hard at the start and just keep hanging on till the pace mellows if you can.

- Stay off your brakes as much as possible and use the entire road to corner so that you can carry as much speed through the corners. Many new crit riders are tentative in the corners or stay way too far to the inside and initiate their turns much too early which costs them speed, can force them to brake and forces them to jump too hard exiting each turn to regain speed. Start wide, dive a relatively straight line through the apex of the turn and fan out as wide as necessary depending on your speed. It takes practice and confidence some of which you can develop before race day in an empty parking lot but there's nothing like the actual race to show you how it's done.

- Don't submarine other riders by taking what looks like an easy line up the inside gutter and squeezing through the inside when others are taking fast outside lines through the turns. Sometimes there's room for many safe fast lines and that's fine, but a lot of struggling newer crit riders try to squeeze through inside holes and end up cutting off the riders taking the clean predictable lines. For a given speed, the earlier or tighter you enter a corner the later and wider you'll be forced to exit. If you scream up the inside gutter and dive into the inside of the corner in front of the riders taking the normal line you'll likely be forced to cut them off and if they're going faster you could end up on the bottom of a pile of very angry racers.

- Downshift before corners where the pack slows down for any reason. This could be due to headwinds or slight rises on the exit of the turns or just on laps when things slow down and no one drives the pace. If the pack bunches up in the corners you want to be in an easier gear than normal so you don't have to jump up and mash a huge gear out of the turn. Lot's of riders simply pound one gear for the entire race and make things much harder than necessary. You've got all those gears accessible from your drops with a flick of a finger, use them.

- Ride your drops as much as possible, at least when you're going fast or chasing to close gaps. Many riders do all their training up top on their brake hoods and forget all about their drops on race day. But a lot of what you're fighting is the wind so make it easier on yourself by staying low unless things slow down a lot and the pace is very comfortable. If you aren't comfortable riding for half an hour in the drops then make any necessary adjustments as it doesn't do much good to have a dropped bar road bike if you can't stay down there.

- Close gaps immediately and don't let holes open up between you and riders you're following. A short gap becomes a big gap really fast and the next thing you know you're all alone pushing into the wind while others are following wheels and doing much less work.

- Give yourself some margin when following wheels. Stay close, but not so close you run into other's wheels, try to avoid overlap with wheels in front of you so that other riders don't take you down with a sideways move and ride a few inches off to one side or the other of the wheel you're following to buy yourself some reaction time in case someone swerves or brakes unexpectedly.

- If your racing is anything like here, some of those master 45+ riders will be fast, really, really fast and very experienced so don't be surprised if that race is a lot faster but ultimately safer than the Cat 4/5 race.

- In terms of clipping in quickly, hopefully you can get into your road pedals pretty fast without looking down but if you can't you should do a few pedal strokes to get up to speed and then try to clip in rather than panic and try to get in while nearly at a standstill off the line. That used to be common practice back in the toe clip and strap days and sometimes we'd ride an entire lap with one foot on the back of the pedal scraping the cage on the pavement before we coasted at speed and flipped the pedal over. It shouldn't be that dramatic with good clipless pedals, but if you don't get in immediately you should sit down, just push on the pedals whether you're in or not until you get some speed and then clip in so you don't lose too much ground at the start.

Good luck, keep the rubber side down...

-Dave

Argos said:
I've got my first race this weekend. It is a criterium 30min plus two .9 mile laps. I had the option to enter cat 4/5 or masters over 45. It was only $5 extra so I entered both. I figured the more experience the better. I am thinking that may be a mistake. Any suggestions?
The over 45 is first and has only about 10 racers, one of which I noticed was also entered in cat 1/2. The second race for me would be about 90 minutes later, the cat 4/5 which has about 25 racers entered. Any help is appreciated.
Also any quick clip in tips for the start?

Good luck. Hang on as best you can. My first race was a crit. I was lapped in 15 minutes and pulled. That was a sad day for me. But it was all up from there.

Make sure to rest and keep warm between races. Drink plenty of fluid and maybe have a gel right after the 1st race but nothing 1/2 hour before the second.

Try walking around a bit in between as well. If the muscles have the chance they may seize up on you if you gave it your all. Keep them "alive" before the second race.

Good advice in the post above if you end up doing both races.

Argos said:
...Also any quick clip in tips for the start?
One more thought on clipping in quickly. Make sure you're in a fairly large but not huge gear for the terrain when you line up at the start. IOW, don't roll up in your small chainring and hill climbing cogs for a flat start. A larger gear helps you get a solid start push with just one leg so you have some momentum to coast and line up the other foot and to flip the pedal if that's necessary with your pedals. Don't pick a massive gear or you won't get it up to speed soon enough but don't try to clip in while twiddling a tiny gear either. And of course some practice starting in appropriate gears from a standstill with one foot on the ground wouldn't hurt.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Good advice in the post above if you end up doing both races.

One more thought on clipping in quickly. Make sure you're in a fairly large but not huge gear for the terrain when you line up at the start. IOW, don't roll up in your small chainring and hill climbing cogs for a flat start. A larger gear helps you get a solid start push with just one leg so you have some momentum to coast and line up the other foot and to flip the pedal if that's necessary with your pedals. Don't pick a massive gear or you won't get it up to speed soon enough but don't try to clip in while twiddling a tiny gear either. And of course some practice starting in appropriate gears from a standstill with one foot on the ground wouldn't hurt.

-Dave

Thanks for the great advice guys. Do you think it is a good idea to do both races or just pick one? The over 45 safer but more likely to get dropped very early, or the cat 4/5 which I'll be able to hang with better but with less experienced riders. A friend of mine suggested doing the over 45 just to check out the speed of the turns and to get out the butterflies first and try to hop back on the line when I get lapped then do the cat 4/5 and try to race for real. Does this sound reasonable or should I just pick one?

Argos said:
Thanks for the great advice guys. Do you think it is a good idea to do both races or just pick one? The over 45 safer but more likely to get dropped very early, or the cat 4/5 which I'll be able to hang with better but with less experienced riders. A friend of mine suggested doing the over 45 just to check out the speed of the turns and to get out the butterflies first and try to hop back on the line when I get lapped then do the cat 4/5 and try to race for real. Does this sound reasonable or should I just pick one?
I'd probably suggest doing both if you're up for it. The officials may or may not let you jump back in after being lapped, often they pull lapped riders out of crits for safety and simplicity of picking the finishing order. It usually depends on how many riders in the group and how serious a race.

But yeah, most of all you're going to need to pay some dues and get some experience. I suppose if you manage to hang on for a large portion or all of the masters race and you're thrashed you should sit out the second event. But if you get chopped early and pulled or choose not to jump back in you can rest up and try again in the 4/5 race.

The key thing to remember in a crit (or cyclocross for that matter) is to do your best to take a very jumpy event with lot's of hard bursts and smooth it out so that you can dole out your energy more evenly. In a crit that generally means staying off your brakes and carrying as much speed as you can safely carry through the corners and using your gears wisely so you don't have to make a massive jump back up to speed out of every turn. But it also means picking up one or two places at a time when you can and not rocketing forward in desperation only to fall back again exhausted. Crits are bursty events, especially in the lower categories where there's a lot of slowing and then speeding up which is brutal but do what you can to smooth out your effort and not jump harder or more often than necessary to stay in contact and in a good draft. At the same time, when it comes time to dig deep and give it everything to stay in contact that's what ya gotta do, no good pacing steadily off the back losing the draft and having to fight the wind alone. Yeah, kind of conflicting advice, but the key is to work just as hard as you need to such that you stay on a good wheel but avoid extra efforts or wasted energy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
-Dave

I don't think a first-time racer should start in a Masters race. Those guys are fast enough to race high categories, but mostly choose to race masters because of they want a safer race with other very-experienced riders.

I wouldn't suggest a first-timer enter anything but a Cat 5 or 4/5 race. If you do both, then definitely mind your p's and q's in the masters race or you will probably hear about it.

frenchyge said:
I don't think a first-time racer should start in a Masters race. Those guys are fast enough to race high categories, but mostly choose to race masters because of they want a safer race with other very-experienced riders.

I wouldn't suggest a first-timer enter anything but a Cat 5 or 4/5 race. If you do both, then definitely mind your p's and q's in the masters race or you will probably hear about it.
Good advice, I thought about posting something similar but figured it depends a lot on the local racing scene and the depth of the master's field. It'd probably be a good idea to talk to some local racers or shops with racing teams to understand the expectations and skill levels of the master's field. But either way it's fair to assume there will be more skilled riders in both races and you should watch, listen and learn from their collective experience.

frenchyge said:

I agree completely with frenchyge. In addition to his comments, you would get dropped early in the Masters race and wear yourself out--more than you imagine--before the 4/5 even starts. In my local crits, the Masters 4 is 2 or 3 mph faster than the 4/5. Better to be fresh for the 4/5, which is where you, as a first-timer, belong.

Also, pay special heed to daveryanwyoming's remarks above--in particular what he says about cornering! Suggest you re-read his excellent advice the morning of your crit.

Ok, here's the report. I decided to take the advice here and just do the cat 4/5 and not the masters. Temp was 99 degrees! This will give some of you a good laugh I hope. I laughed a few hours later.
So after warming up pretty good I get off the bike and walk over to kiss my wife and kids just prior to the start. Mistake! Little did I know, while doing that I must have stepped in a big pile of dog **** (of course I did not realize this yet). So at the start I can't seem to clip my right foot in, it just keeps slipping, I cant look down because we are into the first turn and I'm pedaling like mad to stay mid pack, my cadence was 105 and the turn was at about 26 mph, my hr is shooting up now to 175 bpm. After the second turn I am in last place because I keep trying in vein to clip in. Finally on the back straight about 20 seconds off the pack I get clipped in and I take off like mad (mistake 2) trying to catch the pack. I am gaining on them around the front straight, up a small hill, now I look down and my hr is pinned at 184 bpm but I am catching up so I pump harder, the rest is history, I just blew up I had my hr pinned at 184 for 4 more minutes, not too smart, hum? 48 years old, newly training, and now 100 degrees! I pulled and after catching my breath five minutes later discovered the big pile of **** that was on my cleat and clip that was causing me the problem. I'm sure I would have gotten dropped anyway but not after the first 100 yards! Oh well, kinda sucked but was fun all the same. Motivated me to work harder. I met a guy and we talked and he mentioned his coach who I will be contacting. I also ordered the iBike iDash with power so I can really analyze and plan properly. Thanks for everyone's advice especially Dave.

Congrats on taht first step. My first crit ended very early as well, just too crazy and not ready for it. But still, we have to start somewhere. And unliek you my only choice was Masters 30-39 to start and those guys are fast. This is due to small crowds in the local racing scene and they put the Cat 4 rides in the masters 30-39 group. Oh well. You will get the hang of it soon enough.

Too bad about the dog **** on your shoes. But I bet you got an awesome workout.