First Race.....First post.

JAPANic

Aug 11, 2003
This is just a welcome/hello post.... please feel free to offer any advice as well.

Greetings from Japan.

I've only been cycling a few months now and have joined a cycling club here in Japan where I ride every Sunday morning with them. I also ride alone twice a week on top of that....

I'm a heavy guy and my bike is 4 years old and a bit heavy as well. I'm making progress each week and my average speed is still on the rise, which is pleasing.

Any advice for getting my weight down without losing power?

Long rides?

I'll be doing one race in October as a warm up for another race in November.

The races will only be about 20 to 40 kms.

I've been doing this to build up my thigh power.... 50kg weights bar on my neck X 100 short rapid squats. This seems like it is doing wonders on my legs, but I need to work on slimming down I think. Just carrying too much extra weight on the bike....

I'm the jolly green giant in this pic...

http://www.seo-smd.com/asaren-030810-3.jpg

Thanks!

Originally posted by JAPANic
This is just a welcome/hello post.... please feel free to offer any advice as well.

Greetings from Japan.

I've only been cycling a few months now and have joined a cycling club here in Japan where I ride every Sunday morning with them. I also ride alone twice a week on top of that....

I'm a heavy guy and my bike is 4 years old and a bit heavy as well. I'm making progress each week and my average speed is still on the rise, which is pleasing.

Long rides?

I've been doing this to build up my thigh power.... 50kg weights bar on my neck X 100 short rapid squats. This seems like it is doing wonders on my legs, but I need to work on slimming down I think. Just carrying too much extra weight on the bike....

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting into cycling and training for those upcoming races. That's outstanding! I'm in a similar situation myself.

I started riding with a club in 1999, but had to stop in 2000. I've just now started up again. I'm even heavier than you at 240 lbs and 6-1/2 feet tall. I've been reading a bit about riding to lose weight and can recommend the following book to you. It's "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program" by LA and Chris Carmichael. Chptr 11 is on eating and pp 122-127 are specifically about how to lose 10 lbs in 9 weeks. That might be timely advice for your first race.

Best wishes, and good luck!

Don't worry about losing power so much. You will make up for the lost power by increasing your power to weight ratio with the excess pounds wasting away. Power loss is really the lesser of two evils in your case(although I doubt you'll lose any at all unless you undertake some sort of radical diet). Best way to lose the weight is probably long slow distances done solo in combination with dietary changes. Riding the LSD's solo really changes the dynamics of the training versus riding LSD's with a group or partner. Also, solo LSD's will actually help build power, technique, endurance, and balance. Just watch as you improve nearly every aspect of your cycling by doing solo LSD's atleast once per week. The results of this training will show in your performance..as well as in the mirror. Solo LSD's are a staple of my training...especially during base periods. My biggest jumps in power output usually come after a few weeks of doing these rides. I'd recommend that these be planned into your training and ensure that they are motivated by purpose. Stick to the plan during the rides by going long..and maintaining a steady cadence and pace. Stay within pre determined heart rate ranges as well. If you start to ride at quick tempo and go AT or even red zone..then you are getting off ccourse and thus changing the dynamics of the ride. This takes discipline. I do allow myself to spin the cranks at very high cadences during downhills or descending..which adds some great benefits to your pedal stroke and leg speed...which is a much desired benefit. I'd say spin along at 80-100 rpms(with downhill spinning up to 125 rpms) with heart rate ranging from 70-80% max. It's great if your training route includes some undulation. Wind is a great catalyst too(both head and tail winds) I usually do my LSD's in the small front chain ring. Cheers!

Originally posted by JAPANic

Greetings from Japan.

Long rides?

Thanks!

Eat less carbohydrate, but plenty of protein and vegetables!!

More sashimi less sushi!!

well done on your interest in cycling, its a great sport isnt it!!:D

Originally posted by Nicko71
Eat less carbohydrate, but plenty of protein and vegetables!!

More sashimi less sushi!!

well done on your interest in cycling, its a great sport isnt it!!:D

An update on my progress. (Not that any of you care!)

:cool:

I have been improving my average time each week, so I am still improving.
I can stick with the fast guys in my Sunday morning cycling team now. In fact I'm holding back as I don't want to embarrass some of the riders who have been at it a few years.

My biggest jumps in power output usually come after a few weeks of doing these rides.

Last week I had a day off, so I did a long 120km ride (slowly) and the following Sunday, had so much power I didn't know what to do with it all.

:D

My first race will be October 12th. 22.5 km on a short tight course. (5 laps). I will be happy if I don't finish last. I am not even sure what I have got myself in for.......

Tonight I went out and did some hills and sprints.
As my work schedule is so busy till December, I have decided to order a roller so I can train more at home.

As for my weight.... sincce my first post above I have lost 3kgs. I have put on a lot of muscle as well, so I have lost a lot more fat than 3kgs.

I still eat my carbs, but have cut down on the sugar, alcohol, & dairy products, and have been trying to eat carbs in the morning & proteins at night. The logic being I can burn off the carbs during the day and use the proteins to build up muscle tissue etc, while I'm sleeping. Seems to be working for me.

Think I'll order that book......("The Lance Armstrong Performance Program" by LA and Chris Carmichael. Chptr 11 is on eating and pp 122-127 are specifically about how to lose 10 lbs in 9 weeks.) It may come in use for my 2nd race....

:cool:

4 days to go and I have a gear change question....

I had a tire replaced last week and it takes 130 pounds of pressure. My old tires including the one on the front now only handles 110 pounds.

I noticed that 130 on the back is better.

I have a spare tire as I bought two.

Should I also change the front tire to have a 130 pounder?

Will higher pressure mean harder tires = more speed?

Also is it too late to put a new pair of cleats on my shoes? They may be too stiff to pull out if I need to.....

One more question...

Should I bother with water for a race that should be over within 40 minutes?

Tension is mounting....