First Race in 1 month. Getting nervous

N_laplaca

Aug 27, 2003
I regestered for my first race coming up june 11th. It's a 14 mile loop with 1 major climb. Haven't got a chance to ride the course yet but I plan on it my next day off from work.

I have been following Joe Friels guidlines. According to his plan Im actually only in base 3. That won't leave me with enough time to go through the build periods. I know I should treat this race as training and not worry too much about how I do. Unfortunately my brain doesn't work this way. I know if I do terribly I will get discouraged. I know realistically I don't don't have much of a chance to win but likewise I don't want to finish last either.

So what I am getting at is will it be a real bad decision to start doing the more intense type workouts to try to get my body tuned up enough to do well or continue with the schedule I have set based on his principles? I am probably only going to be able to do 2 or 3 races as I work most saturdays and it seems most races are on these days. Hills are my main weakness so I think for the next month that is what I am going to work on. Nick

I've read his book and am also using it as a guidline. I also have a race june 11th. I am just going to stick to my original plans. I will race as hard as I can and get experience from it. I've done a few mountain bike races and triathlon's before, but never a strictly road race. I never followed any type of training plan before, so hopefully I will be happy with my performance this year. Up untill this year I had basically road the same each year. To me it's all about setting personal best, so what ever I do this year in a race, next year I hope to improve. If I were you, I wouldn't panick. If your not happy with results then you can work on your limitters.

Definitely continue with his training regimen. Aren't there races later in the season that will dovetail nicely with his plan?

Just take it as a hard training ride, and perhaps adjust the two or three days before and after the race to accommodate the increased intensity.

Have fun! :p

I haven't read the book yet: just ordered it. But, I think that you should stick with your plan. You could just consider the race as your training; fast and intense and sometimes its scary too when people start to go down.

June 11, it's my off weekend from racing b/4 District RR, which is on June 19. Good luck with your race next month and let us know how you did.

Best luck,

Soo-re

Ok I think I will stick to the plan. Maybe select a few of the intense rides to throw in here and there. I talked to A guy i ride with who did hid first race recently and he said there were many that weren't all that prepared. I'm hoping for the same thing when I race.Lol. I just want to have a positive experience. Thanks guys. Nick

N_laplaca said:
I regestered for my first race coming up june 11th. It's a 14 mile loop with 1 major climb. Haven't got a chance to ride the course yet but I plan on it my next day off from work.

I have been following Joe Friels guidlines. According to his plan Im actually only in base 3. That won't leave me with enough time to go through the build periods. I know I should treat this race as training and not worry too much about how I do.
Is your first race critically important to your long term goals? Almost definitely not. So stay level headed about it. It won't matter if your win. It won't matter if you come last. What matters is that you learn from it.

You may have a chance at winning your first race, but it is highly unlikely. You won't be at the right level of training, and others around you will have more experience.

But being on base 3 your training intensity will soon go up and you will become a stronger competitor. So now is a good time to start racing, learning about the dynamics of the peleton, learning how to stay out of trouble, and learning about your competitors' strengths and weaknesses.

And having fun :D

Enjoy