first race-swim with fullsuit

Susan in LA

Guest
Raced in a fullsuit (Aquaman) for the first time Saturday. Very different
from a sleeveless short WS. Not sure if I got any faster because I forgot my
watch and T1 included a really long run through sand. But I see now why many
say a fullsuit forces you to be in a more correct swimming position
("swimming downhill," etc.). I felt very buoyant so I assume a lot more of
my energy went into forward propulsion. Also it was easier to sight since I
didn't sink like a stone every time I lifted my head. This wetsuit was very
easy to remove too....even standing in the sand (no way was I wearing that
thing for a quarter-mile run on the beach!) and with NO lube prep. Cons are
1) my arms felt strangely tight and "pressurized"....NOT in the shoulders as
you might expect but the forearms and biceps area......my arms are not
really big so I'm wondering why this was and 2) it was rather disconcerting
to not be able to feel the water on my arms.....how do you know if you're
pushing water effectively if you're covered in neoprene???

Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the HUMONGOUS
improvement I was expecting. :)

Susan in LA

"Susan in LA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the HUMONGOUS
>improvement I was expecting. :)
>
>Susan in LA

Didn't you get the one with the little outboard motor attached???

Jeez, ya' gotta tell these IronVirgins everything...

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"

"Mike Tennent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Susan in LA" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the HUMONGOUS
> >improvement I was expecting. :)
> >
> >Susan in LA
> >

> Didn't you get the one with the little outboard motor attached???
>
> Jeez, ya' gotta tell these IronVirgins everything...

I *knew*something was wrong. Why didn't this come up in my "which wetsuit"
thread????

Susan in LA

P.S. It's Not About the Wetsuit.

Susan in LA said:

> "Mike Tennent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Susan in LA" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the HUMONGOUS
>>> improvement I was expecting. :)
>>>
>>> Susan in LA
>>>

>> Didn't you get the one with the little outboard motor attached???
>>
>> Jeez, ya' gotta tell these IronVirgins everything...

> I *knew*something was wrong. Why didn't this come up in my "which wetsuit"
> thread????

It's like with steroids: nobody talks about it, but everybody does it. Do
you _do_ have some, right? ;-)

Steve = : ^ )

"Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD267740.3C8D3%[email protected]...
> Susan in LA said:
>
> > "Mike Tennent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

HUMONGOUS

> >> Didn't you get the one with the little outboard motor attached???
> >>
> >> Jeez, ya' gotta tell these IronVirgins everything...

> > I *knew*something was wrong. Why didn't this come up in my "which

wetsuit"
> > thread????

> It's like with steroids: nobody talks about it, but everybody does it. Do
> you _do_ have some, right? ;-)

Oh carp.....I better start making a list.....

"Susan in LA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BD267740.3C8D3%[email protected]...
> > Susan in LA said:
> >
> > > "Mike Tennent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> HUMONGOUS

> > > I *knew*something was wrong. Why didn't this come up in my "which

> wetsuit"
> > > thread????

> > It's like with steroids: nobody talks about it, but everybody does it.

Do
> > you _do_ have some, right? ;-)

> Oh carp.....I better start making a list.....

Steroids!!! Oh so Passé it's growth hormones now darling

> 1) my arms felt strangely tight and "pressurized"....NOT in the shoulders as
> you might expect but the forearms and biceps area......my arms are not
> really big so I'm wondering why this was

Just like motocross racers you have experienced the dreaded "arm
pump". Basically you are using your arm muscles and they are expanding
as blood fills them. That blood has to go somewhere when it leaves
your legs and you can't run out of the water :)

and 2) it was rather disconcerting
> to not be able to feel the water on my arms.....how do you know if you're
> pushing water effectively if you're covered in neoprene???
>
> Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the HUMONGOUS
> improvement I was expecting. :)

What distance did you cover? Some of the items you were not able to
measure like HR because you didn't have your monitor, but how did you
feel afterward during the bike and run. Less fatigued from working
easier? Put that suit through a 1/2 IM and I am sure you will see
things improved.

"Tacguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > 1) my arms felt strangely tight and "pressurized"....NOT in the

shoulders as
> > you might expect but the forearms and biceps area......my arms are not
> > really big so I'm wondering why this was

> Just like motocross racers you have experienced the dreaded "arm
> pump". Basically you are using your arm muscles and they are expanding
> as blood fills them. That blood has to go somewhere when it leaves
> your legs and you can't run out of the water :)

Does this mean my suit is too small? Or will I get used to this?

> and 2) it was rather disconcerting
> > to not be able to feel the water on my arms.....how do you know if

you're
> > pushing water effectively if you're covered in neoprene???

I was hoping som swimmer types would respond to this but I haven't heard
anything. This used to be a big deal in college....."feeling the water" and
all that.....

> > Need to practice/race some more in this but I'm not feeling the

HUMONGOUS
> > improvement I was expecting. :)

> What distance did you cover? Some of the items you were not able to
> measure like HR because you didn't have your monitor, but how did you
> feel afterward during the bike and run. Less fatigued from working
> easier? Put that suit through a 1/2 IM and I am sure you will see
> things improved.

It was just under a mile.....now that you mention it though, I did have a
really great race that day......partly because I've been training a lot
harder lately but even in T1 I felt much stronger and lucid than I usually
do. Good point.