First Race???

Bluey_27

Mar 19, 2004
When did u guys do your first race? What type of race was it? Where did you place?

Mine was only 2 weeks ago. It was a 800m criterium (20mins + 3 laps) around some driver training corse and i got put in C grade cause there wasn't enough people in D grade. Anyway, I trailed on the back of the bunch getting tips from an A grader, then i got dropped at the 18min mark and ended up finishing dead last. But a week ago in my second race (same corse as 1st) I ended up coming 7th and riding at the front for a lap or 2 which was pretty cool. In this weeks race im hoping to finish in the top 4.

Congratulations. I was about to ask you what in the world you were doing road racing in November, but then I saw you were down in the southern hemisphere.
My first race was a bit over a year and a half ago, it was a junior omnium (crit, time trial, road race). Starting with the younger kids was easier than jumping into a cat 5 (d) race, and I ended up winning 1 stage and the overall.

My first race was the Idaho State National Championships road race and criterium.

Road Race (32mi)-I started the road race well the head of the pack then due to a mistake in the course we had to make a U-turn this let the kids in the back get into the front then after a long climb a pack took off the front I got hold of another kid and we tried to catch up with no luck this led me to placing 4th in the road race.

Criterium (25 min+5 1k laps) My next race was the criterium this was my first time on a criterium course and was not trained for the corners this made it a sprint to catch up to the pack the entire race during the final sprint I was dropped and ended up in 7th place.

My first race was at the start of this (my first) season (28th March). It was 101 km race (4x15 km flat laps and 2x20 km laps with 2-3 km climb) in north-east Italy. I didn`t finnish because big fall in 5th lap.:mad:

woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got back from races. I placed forth and picked up 1 point for the series. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This weekend club chapionships! Im hoping to finish in the top 3, and theres big prize money on offer too!!!!

Bluey_27 said:
woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got back from races. I placed forth and picked up 1 point for the series. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This weekend club chapionships! Im hoping to finish in the top 3, and theres big prize money on offer too!!!!
nice work Bluey, sounds like you're hooked !! It's a beautiful thing isn't it ?

how much is the prize money down there? here in canada the most ya'd get would be $100.

Prize money depends on how many people enter... $100!! :eek: !!! thats tons!!! in club level races here theres only like 10-15 people in each grade so you only get $30 for 1st. Not many people entered that race so there was jack all prize money...lol. :rolleyes:

Bluey_27 said:
Prize money depends on how many people enter... $100!! :eek: !!! thats tons!!! in club level races here theres only like 10-15 people in each grade so you only get $30 for 1st. Not many people entered that race so there was jack all prize money...lol. :rolleyes:
ohh geesh i was assuming you were going to say $1000 so i said our absolute max prize amount here, but that was like in the top level in the provincial championships the prize money was $100 so thats kind of sad. Usually it is like an item or $30 too.

Good stuff Blue. I cant honestly remember my first race, I know it ws on the track but cant rmember how I went. First road race was a state level u15 handicap where I finished mid field and second fastest time, didnt know what I was doing then though. From then on I was basically a permanent scratchie with only one year where i got a 2 minute head start but with a dual national medallisy and a dual world champ behind me!At our club they pay out ten bucks for a win on the track so you could walk away with 30 on most nights, u17 and under dont get payed out and dont have to pay entry. On the road we rarely race as a club but its about 20 to win from memory. At state level you're looking at 200-10000 bucks on the road and 30-roughly 10000 on the track. 10000 races are one offs though, on the road youd noramlly be looking at 400 but in the tours you can get a lot more because of grade and overall money.

I actually haven't even raced yet. I've thought about it, but in the end simply biking is enough of a thrill for me. Besides, I think it scares me to think about maybe getting into an accident. I am also super competitive so I'd be afraid of injuring myself because I was being stupid behind the handlebars. But I tip my hat off to everyone who races!

My first race was similar to yours! I was extremely nervous because I was put into it as a C grade. However, I stayed confident throughout the whole race, which proved to be a good strategy for me. If you have not had your first race yet, just remember to enjoy it! The nerves are great and everyone in the beginning of the race just runs off of adrenaline.

Well not counting the races with my friends and family members, but they are also done for fun. :)
I remember racing with my father, it was a distance of 6km and as a child I needed 20 minutes to full-fill that race.

The first race is always the most difficult and stressful one. It is really sad if one is not able to find a way to get through the details but most of
the time people usually get through the fear.

Never raced before, but I'm going to be training during the spring and this summer in order to get into some races this year. I heard it's fun and exciting! You are going to have to have a really good bike, but I'll be prepared. Glad you liked it!

Unless you can count racing every single kid on the block then no I never have had a first race. When I was little I would always go around town challenging anybody I saw on a bike to a race and I always would win. I just had a natural ability to increase my speed very early in the race so therefore they could never catch up to me.