First Race

jeo

Aug 4, 2003
I had my first (Cat 5) USCF race last weekend; The Tour Di Anna. It was a three part stage race in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Saturday morning was the three mile time trial. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I started off the first bit going 25 (no aero bars) but just pushed it way to hard. I finished okay, but I need to work on that.

Stage two was that afternoon; a 26 mile road race. It started raining right before the start and I was just too weary about riding with folks in the rain to hang on very close. Those guys' wheels were going all over the place so I just hung out on the back about 10 feet off. Naturally they dropped me fairly quick into it, but at least I never went down. At least one guy did. :( In retrospect I probably should have just stayed at the very front. At least then I wouldn't have gotten road gunk in my eyes from tires kicking it up.

Sunday's road race was a lot easier. I stayed with the pack un until the end and finished around about 50 yards behind the winner finishing 16 of 22 in the GC. I was caught by suprise at the finish. I thought it was supposed to be 24 miles, but it ended up being just under 20. I was planning on just catching folks during the hill climb which ended up being the finish! Orange cones were there, it just didn't click. I thought it was a feed zone or something for the Cat 1/2/3s. Oh well!

It's true what I've read on here, just at the point when you think you can't hang on any longer they all slow down. I learned a lot and had a great time, particularly on Sunday. I was just smiling the whole time! :) Conversely, racing in the rain sucks royally!

Here are a couple pictures on my wife's blog:

http://mamadilettante.blogspot.com/

I can't wait until my next race! :)

Jeo

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
How many miles did you train before the race? About how many miles do you do per week?

I trained 2450 miles before my August 20th race and I ended up in last place among the finishers. But there were people pulled out for being slow - not me.

jeo

Aug 4, 2003
JTE83 said:
How many miles did you train before the race? About how many miles do you do per week?

I trained 2450 miles before my August 20th race and I ended up in last place among the finishers. But there were people pulled out for being slow - not me.

I only started riding regularly again about a month and a half ago but since then I've been riding about 8-15 miles twice a work day as part of my commute. I'll then do longer rides of 25-40 miles on the weekends. Last season I was commuting about 60 miles total every work day so I haven't been off the bike for too long. I moved and changed jobs so my commute is pretty short.

Great job putting in the miles! :)