First real crash in London

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Eugenio Mastroviti, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Riding down the High Road in East Finchley, i was giving what I thought
    was a reasonably wide berth to the parked cars (about 1m), a car pulled
    out of its parking space, did that thing i absolutely HATE (that my wife
    does religiously too when she drives, grrr), starting the turn indicator
    only when it was already moving. It was quick and too close to stop - I
    braked, but I hit the front right of the car, bounced and flew over the
    bike. Grazed shins (against the handlebar), some pain in my left knee (I
    dented the car with it) and a badly bruised right hip. What really got
    me mad was

    a) there was a bus some distance behind me. It didn't even attept to
    brake, if I hadn't gotten VERY quickly on my feet and pulled the bike
    away it would have gone over it;

    b) the elderly lady driving the car was in a state of absolute shock, I
    couldn't even release some steam by yelling at her and getting properly
    angry. She was extremely kind, spent all the time apologising and
    offered to drive me to the hospital (offer that I, rather stupidly, refused)

    Oh well. Bike's ok, I'll be fine in a few hours. Could have been worse,
    I guess. I cycled to work and got the opportunity to burn some adrenalin
    500m further on, when a guy in a red Rover just ignored the stop sign
    and missed me by about 10 cm. He was terrified by my reaction, I'm afraid.

    Eugenio

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Bad luck Eugenio. Get better soon but don't be in a rush to get back on
    the bike.

    ~PB

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Oh well. Bike's ok, I'll be fine in a few hours. Could have been worse, I
    > guess. I cycled to work and got the opportunity to burn some adrenalin
    > 500m further on, when a guy in a red Rover just ignored the stop sign and
    > missed me by about 10 cm. He was terrified by my reaction, I'm afraid.

    Yeah get well soon pal. Who will be next?

    --
    Simon M.

  4. MSA

    MSA Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Yeah get well soon pal. Who will be next?
    >
    > --
    > Simon M.

    Yeah, seems to be a bad month for us lot.

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  5. > a) there was a bus some distance behind me. It didn't even attept to
    > brake, if I hadn't gotten VERY quickly on my feet and pulled the bike
    > away it would have gone over it;

    Noooooo! Don't pull it out the way! I dream of having my bike destroyed in
    an impressive but painless accident and the bus company buys me a shiny new
    bike :)

  6. "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Riding down the High Road in East Finchley, i was giving what I
    > thought was a reasonably wide berth to the parked cars (about 1m), a car
    > pulled out of its parking space, did that thing i absolutely HATE (that my
    > wife does religiously too when she drives, grrr), starting the turn
    > indicator only when it was already moving. It was quick and too close
    > to stop - I braked, but I hit the front right of the car, bounced and
    > flew over the bike....

    This sounds nasty! If you are doing any more than a sedate 10mph then 1
    metre is much too close to any parked car, as even a door being flung open
    could easily extend a metre. I would aim to take a path about midway
    between the parked cars and the oncoming cars, unless it's a very wide road
    that permits overtaking room in spite of the parked cars.

  7. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Mark Thompson composed the following ...
    >> a) there was a bus some distance behind me. It didn't even attept to
    >> brake, if I hadn't gotten VERY quickly on my feet and pulled the bike
    >> away it would have gone over it;

    > Noooooo! Don't pull it out the way! I dream of having my bike destroyed
    > in an impressive but painless accident and the bus company buys me a
    > shiny new bike :)

    Heheheh .. 'cos your bike's a new and shiny one already, right ? :)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

  8. eugenio

    eugenio Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    >>Riding down the High Road in East Finchley, i was giving what I
    >>thought was a reasonably wide berth to the parked cars (about 1m), a car

    > This sounds nasty! If you are doing any more than a sedate 10mph then 1
    > metre is much too close to any parked car, as even a door being flung open

    Come to think of it, it was probably fairly more than 1m - say a little
    less than 1/2m from an OPEN door; and although i was going downhill, it
    was shortly past a traffic light at which I'd stopped - I was doing no
    more than 25 kph, which should translate in about 15-16 mph. Which was
    lucky, in hindsight.

  9. On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:25:46 +0000, Eugenio Mastroviti
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Riding down the High Road in East Finchley, i was giving what I thought
    >was a reasonably wide berth to the parked cars (about 1m), a car pulled
    >out of its parking space, did that thing i absolutely HATE (that my wife
    >does religiously too when she drives, grrr), starting the turn indicator
    >only when it was already moving.

    Sounds just like what happened to me 18 months ago. Sadly my bike was
    destroyed as the driver went straight into a three point turn so I hit
    him square on.

    >b) the elderly lady driving the car was in a state of absolute shock, I
    >couldn't even release some steam by yelling at her and getting properly
    >angry

    Again that was my reaction - which is very strange considering the way
    I have raged at near misses in the past- something I am not proud of.

    I would recommend getting checked over by a doctor. I had some
    injures that my GP was concerned about that I did not even know I had.
    Namely a rather large hematoma (sp?) on right arm - how I missed it I
    do not know, it was the size of a golf ball.

    JT
    Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  10. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I live near East Finchley and know the area well. What can I say? Cycling in London is dodgy - no doubt about it. You have to watch the cars like a hawk - no matter how right you are.

    Maybe one day, we'll be rid of the pesky motor car.

  11. John Pitcock

    John Pitcock Guest

    I was knocked off by a doddery old lady, I thought she shouldn't be driving,
    but didn't say so. She was shocked, (I think she was surprised, but
    relieved, when I got up from just under her front bumper). I felt OK, a
    little bruised on the chest, (landed on my wallet in inside jacket pocket),
    mudguard damaged. I accepted £10 for a damaged mudguard (fixed for pennies).
    Details not exchanged. Later pain intensified, I'd cracked a rib!.

    On another occasion I was riding past a row of stationary cars in a traffic
    jam. I was keeping well to the other side of the road to give cars a wide
    berth and see round the left bend so I could react to oncoming vehicles. One
    queuing car decided to turn right into a side road without indicating. I
    just avoided hitting it but fell off. Lucky I was keeping out - gave me time
    to react. (H.C. rule 143 says do not overtake at a junction).

  12. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    Its best to stay as far away from parked cars as possible so that at
    least you have some time to react.
    Give it two meters if you can.

    Failing that take to the pavement and take some flak
    from the 'jobworths', rather than end up beneath the wheels of a
    42 tonne atriculated lorry.

    Maybe it is that you cycle too close to the pavement/parked
    cars and that is the reason why people fail to see you
    (twice in the same journey?).

    May you should invest in a bright light/siren?

    "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Riding down the High Road in East Finchley, i was giving what I thought
    > was a reasonably wide berth to the parked cars (about 1m), a car pulled
    > out of its parking space, did that thing i absolutely HATE (that my wife
    > does religiously too when she drives, grrr), starting the turn indicator
    > only when it was already moving. It was quick and too close to stop - I
    > braked, but I hit the front right of the car, bounced and flew over the
    > bike. Grazed shins (against the handlebar), some pain in my left knee (I
    > dented the car with it) and a badly bruised right hip. What really got
    > me mad was
    >
    > a) there was a bus some distance behind me. It didn't even attept to
    > brake, if I hadn't gotten VERY quickly on my feet and pulled the bike
    > away it would have gone over it;
    >
    > b) the elderly lady driving the car was in a state of absolute shock, I
    > couldn't even release some steam by yelling at her and getting properly
    > angry. She was extremely kind, spent all the time apologising and
    > offered to drive me to the hospital (offer that I, rather stupidly,

    refused)

    > Oh well. Bike's ok, I'll be fine in a few hours. Could have been worse,
    > I guess. I cycled to work and got the opportunity to burn some adrenalin
    > 500m further on, when a guy in a red Rover just ignored the stop sign
    > and missed me by about 10 cm. He was terrified by my reaction, I'm afraid.
    >
    > Eugenio

  13. half_pint

    half_pint Guest

    I have a fairly accident free month cycling on the pavement :O)

    I'm not gloating of course :O|

    regards half_pint.

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >

    > > Yeah get well soon pal. Who will be next?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Simon M.
    > >

    > Yeah, seems to be a bad month for us lot.
    >
    > --
    > Mark (MSA)
    > Remember, half the people you know are below average

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    half_pint wrote:
    > I have a fairly accident free month cycling on the pavement :O)

    I've had a completely accident free month of cycling on the road. Your
    pointless was.[1]

    > I'm not gloating of course :O|

    No. You can't even manage that properly!

    Jon

    [1] In the style of Guy

  15. Shuggie

    Shuggie Guest

    In the incident described by Eugenio, where his bike was flung into the
    path of the bus following collision with a car, I'm not sure the bus
    company would have been all that forthcoming in the shiny new bike
    department. And yes, I saw your :)

  16. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Shuggie wrote:
    > In the incident described by Eugenio, where his bike was flung into
    > the path of the bus following collision with a car, I'm not sure
    > the bus company would have been all that forthcoming in the shiny
    > new bike department. And yes, I saw your :)

    It's fairly obvious from Eugenio's description that the bus driver had
    plenty of time to react and would have been at fault. The other
    advantage of allowing the bus company to involve itself in the incident
    is that it would have forced the sweet little old lady to cough up her
    insurance details as its insurers would be interested in pinning the
    blame on her if at all possible. It might also have been sufficiently
    interesting to have persuaded witnesses to the original incident to
    hang around.

    --
    Dave...