First real road ride today

thombo

Nov 26, 2005
Well, i effectively lost my cycling virginity today. After getting my frist real road bike this past thursday (Merry early Christmas), I was finally able to get out on the road with my house-mate today. He's been cycling for a while and gave me a brief rundown on strategies for shifting, pedaling, etc (and I will say I already knew a lot of the stuff by virtue of reading this board). Then we got on the road. It was a little chilly, but that was the least of my concerns; I was too busy fiddling with the gears, my position on the saddle, worrying about traffic, and other things to be concerned with the weather.

Anyway, it all worked out great, I wasn't nearly as tired as I expected to be and it has definitely affirmed what I already knew: I'm really gonna enjoy this sport.

My question is, what can I expect from this point on; or more immediately, what parts of my body are going to be the sorest tomorrow morning?

Any particularly interesting, funny, depressing, or scary stories about people's first ever rides out there?

Consider myself hooked,
Bruce

way to go now the important thing will be consistancy

if you went very long you will probably notice the most painful part when you go to sit down. Once you get through the initial pain (and that part adapts) then you will probably start pushing yourself more then the legs will really feel it. I think the thing that took me the longest to get comfortable with was drafting. Now it is easy, but at the start that can make for some nervous times (and also easy riding when being pulled)